Finally going to Autocross - Page 7 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Autocross and Racing Discussion (SKY/Kappa) Tips, tricks, vehicle prep and setup, etc.

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Garage
Well, it's that time of year again!

So, the lessons learned from my first season:

Learn the track! Nothing worse than forgetting that there is a hard left coming up rather than that slow sweeping left you thought you were coming up to...DOUGH!

Cold tracks suck especially when your the first group out! Yea...great way to start the day by looping the car...twice...during your first three runs because the track is dirty and your tires are stone cold.

Smooth...be smooth. Slow isn't fast, but smooth is fast. Hard throttle application, jamming the wheel over, these things don't make you pick up time.

Look ahead. Always look ahead. If you're looking at the turn you're negotiating, you're going to screw it up and the next three coming up.

Changes going into my first round:

Tires!!!! I have real tires this year! The Potenza RE-71Rs are supposed to be the best autocross tire on the track and they feel a lot better than what I went out on last year. That should be a big help.

Turbo!!!! While not a speed track last years final had three fast sections where having more power wouldn't hurt. Still finalizing the tune but have a working one if need be.

Getting the shocks right. Having discovered my shocks were not set up right by the place that lowered the car could not have been a help on the track. With that sorted out, I expect the car to be a bit more predictable.

Soften up the front. I went back to the stock sway bar and removed the Z0K Redline bar. We'll see what this does. Springs are still pretty hard (7K same as rear) so we'll see how this does for weight transfer but I may play with dampening to give the front a bit more bite.

June 18 is the first race for me (they have already done 1 round). jgasser is coming out too I know but I hope we have a few more Kappa folks come out. It's a blast at the Hotchkis Autocross.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #92 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I never could get it right but, "Look ahead" was the advice that I kept getting.

Good luck, Robo!

Yogi

"Black Bart"
2008 Onyx Black Redline with Black Convertible Top
5 Speed Stick
Single Disk Monsoon Sound
Black Interior with Black Leather Seats
GM MB-222 Chrome "Snowflake" Wheels
post #93 of 93 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Garage
Looking ahead is key! It's as true in Autocross as it is in RC Cars. Same concept for both and it was something I struggled with in both! LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Autocross and Racing Discussion (SKY/Kappa)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in