First autocross with my Red Line - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Autocross and Racing Discussion (SKY/Kappa) Tips, tricks, vehicle prep and setup, etc.

User Tag List

 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Kansas Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Small town Kansas
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
First autocross with my Red Line

So, Sunday I plan to autocross my Sky for the first time. I have been autocrossing for 20 years, in several different cars. The car is not well prepared, but it is what it is. I haven't even done an alignment yet. I have decent tires, but not "the tires to have".

The only other car pre-registered in my class is an '08 Corvette Z06 (SCCA classing sucks). He hasn't been autocrossing for long, so I may have a chance. The main thing is to have fun and learn to drive my car. My last car was a Cobalt SS turbo, so the power will be familiar, but going to right wheel drive may take some adjustment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 Sky2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	102653  

Kansas Bill
2008 Silver Red Line
Kansas Bill is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 03:02 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
DaveOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Right wheel drive? Oh, autocorrect glitch?

Hee-Hee! (My iPad wanted to make that here-here).

Have a great day!



.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
DaveOC is online now  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Kansas Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Small town Kansas
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
Right wheel drive? Oh, autocorrect glitch?

Hee-Hee! (My iPad wanted to make that here-here).

Have a great day!



.
That was intentional - Right RWD as apposed to Wrong FWD.

Kansas Bill
2008 Silver Red Line
Kansas Bill is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 04:24 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
DaveOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Bill View Post
That was intentional - Right RWD as apposed to Wrong FWD.
Got It!



.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
DaveOC is online now  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
 
Robotech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 10,869
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Bill View Post
So, Sunday I plan to autocross my Sky for the first time. I have been autocrossing for 20 years, in several different cars. The car is not well prepared, but it is what it is. I haven't even done an alignment yet. I have decent tires, but not "the tires to have".

The only other car pre-registered in my class is an '08 Corvette Z06 (SCCA classing sucks). He hasn't been autocrossing for long, so I may have a chance. The main thing is to have fun and learn to drive my car. My last car was a Cobalt SS turbo, so the power will be familiar, but going to right wheel drive may take some adjustment.
LOL Look at it as a challenge sir. You've been doing this long enough to know that it's not just the car that matters. I've been put up against Z06 Vettes with the Z07 track package, ACR Vipers, 500 hp Ford Focus RSs...sometimes I win, sometimes they win.

The alignment will help if you have good tires. As you probably already know, a set of RE-71Rs will be a huge bonus. I don't know what SCCA allows for tire size as far as width...I believe you can go up in size but I can't remember what the limitation is. 275 is pretty optimal for our cars but SCCA Solo rules may not allow that wide of a tire. I run on the stock sized 245/45/18s currently but will be going up to 275 on 18s sometime next year. Our event doesn't have the same strict regulations SCCA events do.


V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Robotech is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Kansas Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Small town Kansas
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
LOL Look at it as a challenge sir. You've been doing this long enough to know that it's not just the car that matters. I've been put up against Z06 Vettes with the Z07 track package, ACR Vipers, 500 hp Ford Focus RSs...sometimes I win, sometimes they win.

The alignment will help if you have good tires. As you probably already know, a set of RE-71Rs will be a huge bonus. I don't know what SCCA allows for tire size as far as width...I believe you can go up in size but I can't remember what the limitation is. 275 is pretty optimal for our cars but SCCA Solo rules may not allow that wide of a tire. I run on the stock sized 245/45/18s currently but will be going up to 275 on 18s sometime next year. Our event doesn't have the same strict regulations SCCA events do.
Yeah, I know a good driver in a mediocre car will beat a fair driver in the "car to have". I'm just glad to be competing.

I'm retired, on a fixed income, so the car preparation I used to take for granted is not in the budget. RE 71s are too pricey, I'm on stock sized Pirellis for now. SCCA allows any size tires on near stock wheels (+/- 1" diameter, stock width, and offset resulting in +/- 0.25" track. I understand the Sky is prone to understeer in stock configuration, but I'm guessing it's not as bad as my Cobalt SS was.

Kansas Bill
2008 Silver Red Line
Kansas Bill is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
 
Robotech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 10,869
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Bill View Post
Yeah, I know a good driver in a mediocre car will beat a fair driver in the "car to have". I'm just glad to be competing.

I'm retired, on a fixed income, so the car preparation I used to take for granted is not in the budget. RE 71s are too pricey, I'm on stock sized Pirellis for now. SCCA allows any size tires on near stock wheels (+/- 1" diameter, stock width, and offset resulting in +/- 0.25" track. I understand the Sky is prone to understeer in stock configuration, but I'm guessing it's not as bad as my Cobalt SS was.
No, it won't be that bad and with a slight tweak to driving style it's manageable. Most go with a set of adjustable coil overs and the Z0K rear sway bar...front bar they leave stock...then go with the Autocross alignment. I noticed however though that the 2.5* or so front camber will wear out your tires day to day driving so I set mine to 1.5* and call it close. LOL
Kansas Bill likes this.


V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Robotech is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 04:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mainz, Germany
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Probably goes without saying but be sure you're driving in (at least) "Competitive Mode" unless you want it constantly interfering.
mstrjon32 is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Kansas Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Small town Kansas
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
Probably goes without saying but be sure you're driving in (at least) "Competitive Mode" unless you want it constantly interfering.
Yeah, I'll probably take my first run or two in Competition mode, and then try all off. That is part of my pre-run checks from the Cobalt SS.

Kansas Bill
2008 Silver Red Line
Kansas Bill is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator
 
Robotech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 10,869
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Garage
I don't have traction control so I'm always having fun keeping the rear end down. It's not too bad even with total crap tires.


V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Robotech is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 01:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mainz, Germany
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I don't have traction control so I'm always having fun keeping the rear end down. It's not too bad even with total crap tires.
You're a brave man. Competitive mode really lets you drive like an ******* and still feel like a hero.
mstrjon32 is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator
 
Robotech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 10,869
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
You're a brave man. Competitive mode really lets you drive like an ******* and still feel like a hero.
There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity and I've yet to figure out what side of it I'm on. LOL

@jgassor has ridden with me, he knows I still try and drive like my head is on fire and my azz is catchin'. LOL No traction control no problem (pic 1). LOL No ABS...PROBLEM! (pic 2)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	102657   Click image for larger version

Name:	lockup002.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	102659  
mstrjon32 and Bryan Hilliard like this.


V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Robotech is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:39 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
DaveOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity and I've yet to figure out what side of it I'm on. LOL

@jgassor has ridden with me, he knows I still try and drive like my head is on fire and my azz is catchin'. LOL No traction control no problem (pic 1). LOL No ABS...PROBLEM! (pic 2)
I call foul: 2007 Saturn Skys all came standard with:
JL9 - Brakes, 4-wheel antilock with dynamic rear proportioning.

(At least according to my 2007 printbook.)

Check your glove-box door label . . .



.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
DaveOC is online now  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 12:56 AM
Member
 
jgassor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Lake Elsinore, CA
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity and I've yet to figure out what side of it I'm on. LOL

@jgassor has ridden with me, he knows I still try and drive like my head is on fire and my azz is catchin'. LOL No traction control no problem (pic 1). LOL No ABS...PROBLEM! (pic 2)
I dont have an issue when you drive like this on the AutoX course, but not around your neighborhood!

I mainly switch to competitive mode at the AutoX course but it trains me how to handle the car on the streets for when and if I ever need it switch mode, not that I an think of any reason as to why I would switch to that mode in normal (and spirited) driving!
jgassor is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Kansas Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Small town Kansas
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I left early this morning on the way to the event. I ran through the gears on the highway and the CEL came on - Engine misfires P0300, 01, 02, 03, and 04. Guess it's time for a tune-up.

Turned out my competition didn't show, and I won the class. The car worked well, considering the lack of preparation. The automatic works pretty well in Low range, downshifts when I would have manually downshifted. Driver, not so well. It was an extreme rhythm course, and I had trouble with the rhythm. 5 runs were clean, and I hit 5 cones in the other 3 runs. Times haven't been posted yet, and it will be interesting to see where I place in the overall PAX times. I'm guessing mid pack.

Kansas Bill
2008 Silver Red Line
Kansas Bill is offline  
Reply

  Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Autocross and Racing Discussion (SKY/Kappa)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome