Hotchkis Autocross Results 9/17-18 2016 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Autocross and Racing Discussion (SKY/Kappa) Tips, tricks, vehicle prep and setup, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Garage
Hotchkis Autocross Results 9/17-18 2016

So the weekend is over and with it my latest autocross event. For this event, I had gone with 5K springs up front and left the 7K springs in the rear. The car was tuned and making great power.

Day one I'm greeted with this:

A Dodge Viper ACR. Basically a street legal racecar. He would wind up running unlimited but last time out I had an older Viper on the spray (NOS) in my class and I finished ever so slightly behind him. Ever since I started building my Grand Prix in 2004 I had a goal of beating a Viper...drag racing then. While the GP was fast enough, I never had the opportunity to run one head to head. So now, this was the closest I would get and now, this week, it was an ACR, the most race capable Viper Dodge has built.

If that wasn't enough, the track was setup favoring cars with power. There was a couple strong straight sections where I would bounce off the rev limiter in 2nd. They'd had longer straights, but this was really close.

Some of the other cars in my class:

LS3 1988 Chrysler Conquest. I believe this was built on a show for MAVtv.

Nice little raced out 280Z

Supercharged 350 (370?) Z...all three of the last cars were sponsored...2 by Wilwood brakes and 1 by Centerforce clutches.

The Z was a class winner last time out. He would run mid pack this weekend.

This Scion FRrrrrrrrrrrr...Toyota AE86 (rebaged FR-S) was also a class leader last time out. Like the Z, he'd be back in the pack some. The owner is an Engineer with Hotchkis Suspensions so yea, he's got the car kinda dialed in...oh, and it's supercharged.

More to come.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
There were some very...different cars that you don't expect to see at autocross also...

Like a 1935 Ford Coupe on airbags...

Pretty sure this LS motor wasn't from 1934 though...

And a 1970 Bug...

...with a 2.2 liter ECOTEC hybrid with the LNJ supercharger setup. Told me he had a bit of every ECOTEC in it somehow.

And a 1965 Daytona...

More to come.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
While there were plenty of Camaros and a few Mustangs...

It would be these two that I was chasing time wise most of the weekend.

The Viper ACR and a Corvette Z06 with the Z07 package. If you haven't heard of these two cars, check out the first part of this video...

On Saturday, the Viper was ahead of me the whole day but the Vette didn't beat my best time until their last run of the day, and by less than a tenth. Today though, while the Vette continued to run just a split second ahead of me, the Viper was having issues. It's first three laps it struck cones every time and though one lap was a 49.9 the cone strike made it a 51.9. My best time of the first session was a 50.5. They ran after me so in the second round of the day I ran a 50.4...I also ran a 50.3 and a 50.011 both runs had cone hits so my 50.4 would be my best run of the day. When the Viper came to the line, I waited each lap for the time. All four laps were slower than mine with his best of the day being a 50.9.

So while my 12th place finish in Sports car (out of 14 cars) was a bit depressing the fact I was consistent and beat the Viper made me happy. I know I could improve my line but have no idea where to start. They talked about having a beginners session the next event on Friday. Hopefully I'll be able to attend that.

The car felt horrible on Saturday. The front stuck but the back was all over the place. I played a bit with air pressure and it made it a little better...but only a little. The 5k springs felt like they were giving the front too much bite. I figured I could put the 7ks back on last night or put the Z0K front sway back on but I figured I'd play with damping a bit and see what that did. I had the front shocks at full soft and the rears 3 from full firm so I firmed up the front to 8 from soft and firmed up the rear 11 from firm. The car felt much better today but it could just have been because of the reverse direction we ran the course.

In the second and hotter session the car started off with the tail slightly loose but by laps 3 and 4 the front was starting to push in the reducing radius corner in the middle of the track and was getting a little looser in other sections. I think the tire pressure was going up and I didn't check it. Need to make sure I keep that pressure in check next time. Always learning. Hopefully next time we get more runs than 7 each day. Not really enough runs to tweak the setup.

Power was great though. The tune is working fantastic! kept bouncing off the rev limiter in 2nd on the main straight section and it drove me nuts. Too long not to hit it, to short to shift up into 3rd before the brake zone for the turn after the straight section.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
I should add that I also met one of our new forum members on here. Tim Campbell...though I have no idea what his screen name is on here. He said he joined about three days ago and moved to the So Cal area about three months ago from back east. I had no idea he was coming out. I had been posting images on Facebook throughout the weekend and he got up Sunday, figured he wasn't doing anything else so he'd come out to Fontana (and discover the temps in the desert are a bit warmer than the coast) and see what it was about.

It was great talking to him and he even road along for my last four laps in the afternoon session.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Garage
Glad you had a good time sir. I made one lap around Lake Dominegoni. Too tired to do another one. Sorry I missed it, next time I will be ready to go. The yellow car is still in pieces. The green one went to Palm Springs with the other half for the week end. And we don't drive the Mallett. So that would have left the FJ on 35"s lifted, but could have used atrack I guess, in low range. Might have been fun.

I have to harass the guy next to my Graphics guy. He is a big mopar guy with a bunch of toys, his pride and joy is his gawd awful looking viper. White with Blue stripes. Will make my day to tell him about your day.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Damn. I read the title and thought it said "Hotchicks Autocross Results". Thanks Robo :P

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
Glad you had a good time sir. I made one lap around Lake Dominegoni. Too tired to do another one. Sorry I missed it, next time I will be ready to go. The yellow car is still in pieces. The green one went to Palm Springs with the other half for the week end. And we don't drive the Mallett. So that would have left the FJ on 35"s lifted, but could have used atrack I guess, in low range. Might have been fun.

I have to harass the guy next to my Graphics guy. He is a big mopar guy with a bunch of toys, his pride and joy is his gawd awful looking viper. White with Blue stripes. Will make my day to tell him about your day.
You HAVE to tell me how this goes and be sure to mention it's the ACR Viper. That will really tweak him. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Damn. I read the title and thought it said "Hotchicks Autocross Results". Thanks Robo :P
LOL...actually TS, they get called that ALL the time!

But to see some of the female drivers there (who are REALLY damn fast might I add) that name works too.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Autocross and Racing Discussion (SKY/Kappa)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in