Sky Rollbar, has anyone done it? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Autocross and Racing Discussion (SKY/Kappa) Tips, tricks, vehicle prep and setup, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sky Rollbar, has anyone done it?

Hi everyone,

So basically I have been asked by Speed Ventures of CA to install a triangular rollbar in the sky to be able to participate in races at tracks like Laguna Seca, Chuckwalla Raceway Willow Springs etc for safety reasons. Has anyone here done a good rollbar setup in the Sky. It just seems difficult for me to imagine putting one in when there's alright no room in the car. If anyone can shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it. Hoping for some good responses. Thanks

2007 Sky Redline: DDMWorks V8 Conversion- LS376 525hp 6.2L, TR6060 6-speed, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, DDMWorks Backbone brace, DDMWorks Pro Beam, BC Coilovers, Wilwood(Front)BBK, Norms Full Hardtop and Rear facia. Tuned on LS2Edit
post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 08:17 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
It's not going to happen unless you are willing to cut into the interior panels, the tulip panel and the rear trunk lid. If you are willing to do that, then, yes, it has been done.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some guy named Chris Nankoo, or something like that, has a company that has made a custom fibreglass hard top that replaces the rear deck lid, and convertible top with a single large fibreglass and lexan/polycarbonate type roof, that latches into the front windshield header, but can still open up clam-shell style to access the trunnk.

Would that satisfy the requirement?
post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

hmmmm, I'll call tomorrow and throw that at them to see what they say.

Found some video's on this dude RICED out ride. Not sure where the hell he got that roof top.

2007 Sky Redline: DDMWorks V8 Conversion- LS376 525hp 6.2L, TR6060 6-speed, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, DDMWorks Backbone brace, DDMWorks Pro Beam, BC Coilovers, Wilwood(Front)BBK, Norms Full Hardtop and Rear facia. Tuned on LS2Edit

Last edited by 40rty; 11-28-2011 at 09:42 PM.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 09:17 AM

Garage
Found this on the Internet.

http://www.sacramentoroadsters.com/i...&id=27&catid=5

Base 2.4
Chili Pepper Red
Ordered 3-28-06
Delivered 6-29-06
Sent to Mallett 2-21-07
Delivered 5-11-07 # 007 "Beast"
LS-2 400 HP
Magnaflow Custom True Dual Exhaust
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to RedSkyWV
That type of bar definitely helps in lateral stiffness, but there's almost no way it would hold in a rollover. That's the point of a roll bar.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Kenny has a roll bar. PM him and I bet he can give you a better idea what is involved:

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum - View Profile: kennysabarese

However If Kenny doesnt mind, im sure a few people would appreciate the info and pics if he was willing to provide some insight
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Carbon Black : Some guy named Chris Nankoo, or something like that, has a company that has made a custom fibreglass hard top that replaces the rear deck lid, and convertible top with a single large fibreglass and lexan/polycarbonate type roof, that latches into the front windshield header, but can still open up clam-shell style to access the trunnk.

Would that satisfy the requirement?
It depends on the sanctioning body, the tech inspectors, how much they know about the car, and, in some cases, how well you can lie.

SCCA, for example, does not classify removable tops the same as fixed tops. A convertible requires a roll bar.
Quote:
miller11386 : Kenny has a roll bar. .....
Kenny does not have a roll bar. He has a "style bar" that looks like a roll bar and is likely to fool someone who wants to be fooled. It does not contribute to safety, but may allow you to get on to the track.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 01:58 PM

I know the people that did the series "Setup" on Speed channel put serious roll bars into the Solstices they used. Had to change out the seats, get a fiberglass top, and all. Even the nimblest of the drivers had to contort to get in and out. I think they rolled one at the end of season one (on purpose I think), and it looks like it held up, driver was not injured.

WanderingSol
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
Kenny does not have a roll bar. He has a "style bar" that looks like a roll bar and is likely to fool someone who wants to be fooled. It does not contribute to safety, but may allow you to get on to the track.
I apologize. I thought his was the real deal. I was un aware.
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Frictionfighter on the 'other' forum has a full roll bar in his drift Solstice, but he stripped out the interior and welded the cage to the floor and various other places, along with reinforcement plates. Not an easy job, and not suitable for a daily driver.

I'd post photo links, but all his photos seem to have been taken down.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Garage
The Solstice book has detailed instructions on how to properly install a Roll Bar in our cars.

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

This is not a DD, its a weekend play car. I really wanna run this thing at Laguna Seca.

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 07:27 AM

Before tearing your car apart and welding in a real roll cage, be sure to consult your local tracks tech rules. It would be a shame to weld a cage in your car and then find out something little makes it not pass tech.

Also most tracks only allow certain lapping sessions (with 'wave to pass' only) without a racing license. You cant just go out and race without taking the education course, physical exams, and passing everything with flying colors. (which kind of sucks) Its not cheap at all. Plus fire suits, shoes, helmets, gloves etc. All vary from track to track.

So please make the phone call before you start investing.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
40rty : This is not a DD, its a weekend play car. I really wanna run this thing at Laguna Seca.
Speed Ventures requires "substantial rollover protection" and specifically outlaws "vanity bars", so the RMR style bar is unlikely to pass their inspection. I did not see any specific design requirements, or reference to any other group's specifications, so there may be some latitude.

There was a guy, I know he posted pictures, but can't remember on which forum, who fitted a bar that SCCA let him use for lapping days. He heavily modified the rear cockpit enclosure, and it almost certainly kept him from moving the seats to their full-back positions. His didn't appear to really meet the full spec, but it was clearly close enough, since they let him run. Based on that I think that it would satisfy SV, but there is no good way to be sure. Absent a specification, a lot is left to the tech inspector to interpret.

It is possible to put a bar in a Kappa that would really function as rollover protection and that would satisfy SV, but if you want the car to be recreational-use friendly it is not going to meet all of SCCA's specs, so there will still be room for the SV tech inspector to reject it. It will have too many bends, will not pass the broomstick test, and will not have the right bracing. I think you could probably even get it homologated for SCCA, but it would be a lot of work.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Autocross and Racing Discussion (SKY/Kappa)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in