Sky Rollbar, has anyone done it? - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Autocross and Racing Discussion (SKY/Kappa) Tips, tricks, vehicle prep and setup, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Garage
Yea but it no worse than what comes stock on other convertibles and they are allowed on a lot of tracks.

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #32 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Elff : ..... If that would allow me on the local NJ track, I'd be all over doing it.
Quote:
bradwp : Looks good. Doesn't look like it has a whole lot of fore and aft bracing, though. Not sure it would get past an anal track-day safety inspector.
From what I've read, NJ will pass just about anything that looks like it might be a roll bar, and that you are willing to state is a roll bar. Kind of refreshing actually, for a government to say "Its your life, do what you want."

I wouldn't do anything with a full harness, but assuming it is attached securely it at least shouldn't cause any additional harm.

There is someone on the forum running a NJ track with an RMR style bar, and this looks much better than that.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #33 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 10:25 AM

Garage
That's good to know, I would really like to get out on the track. My Sky is setup awesome for it right now but I would like a something like the OP's setup. I am not a fan of the RMR Style bar, but that discussion has been beat to death. I've put a roll cage to the test and the cage combined with a 4 point harness kept me safe

Also, The cage and Purpose built front bumper with radiator hoop kept the damage to the jeep to a minimum

Nothing some BFH work couldn't smooth out.

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

Last edited by Elff; 09-20-2012 at 12:25 AM.
post #34 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elff View Post
Who installed that for you?
And where and how is it tied in?
Not sure who installed the bar...the PO had it done. It looks prefabbed as it is bolted to the frame right behind the seats. Whoever installed it had to do some chopping to get it in. They did a pretty clean job. It may not offer much support but its better then not having it IMO.

The extra room would be nice but with the seat all the back to the bar I am very comfortable. I am no midget 5'8" but you tall folks wouldn't fit lol
post #35 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
ah the elusive spine breaker mod.
post #36 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 12:08 AM

It used to be mine... she got repo'd after being unemployed for over a year. Im glad to see she found a nice home. Its thru bolted with 1/4" plates at the floor with 3 bolts per leg, and 2 brackets sandwiched at the seat belt retractor bolts. also bolted thru the rear bulkhead at the diagonal. it has a slight rear ward angle, so if somehow it collapses it "should" collapse away from the driver, never got to test that, lol. I fabbed it up at my previous job. also I am very short, most people wouldn't fit. I sold off some really nice modds before she left...had rpi exhaust and a red diamond stitched center console. that shift knob was a lot of custom work too. Congrats on the car. I still miss her.
post #37 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 09:05 AM

Garage
P24rick

That's a shame. Hopefully your job situation has gotten better. Thanks for the clarification on the cage. That sounds like it is setup pretty good.

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

post #38 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 06:05 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

from Solstice forum

w/ pics Successful roll bar installation - Pontiac Solstice Forum

WANT CHANGE- never vote for the incumbent

Ken
R/L"+"; Forrest Green,3 pedals, spoiler,1 CD Monsoon - 264 RWHP 335 RW torque

Hug your child, no matter what their age..LMS RIP (1973-2009)
post #39 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
2x4 roll bar seen today on highway near Worcester, MA...

At least it makes a good light bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Auburn-20120919-00062.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	43240  

2009 Ruby Red SE
Mods are getting expensive
www.kronus.us
post #40 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 08:47 AM

Garage
That's not too bad for a Light bar.
If he painted the wood black, you probably would not have noticed.

Redneck Engineering has no limits

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 12:11 AM

haha, you fellas slammed that guy about his roll bar... but I agree... who makes a roll bar with no lateral supports. Cut up his handy dandy storage box for nothing, what a waste. lol
post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Garage
Not aimed at the original poster, who simply advanced a question, but I do laugh when I see people who stick bars in their cars and then pronounce authoritatively that they 'are better than nothing' as if they were structural engineers.

I have discussed this issue with some fellow racers who do happen to be engineers and car builders, and they have told me that many of the gut feelings of laymen are way off the mark and that bars built to anything other than proper principals are often more dangerous than no bar at all.

Every time I see someone say "You can't tell me that my bar wouldn't be better than nothing at all!" I hope that someone else will jump in and tell them exactly that as I tire of these discussions, but am reluctant to leave it unsaid for fear that some newbie will search roll bars some day and see a thread ending without a caution on improperly built bars and will go off thinking they are safe with whatever they cobble together.

Of course, the question is often not 'What will save my life?', but 'What is the minimum I can do, even resorting to fooling the organizers, that will let me get out on that track?"

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
wspohn : Not aimed at the original poster, who simply advanced a question, but I do laugh when I see people who stick bars in their cars and then pronounce authoritatively that they 'are better than nothing' as if they were structural engineers.

I have discussed this issue with some fellow racers who do happen to be engineers and car builders, and they have told me that many of the gut feelings of laymen are way off the mark and that bars built to anything other than proper principals are often more dangerous than no bar at all.

Every time I see someone say "You can't tell me that my bar wouldn't be better than nothing at all!" I hope that someone else will jump in and tell them exactly that as I tire of these discussions, but am reluctant to leave it unsaid for fear that some newbie will search roll bars some day and see a thread ending without a caution on improperly built bars and will go off thinking they are safe with whatever they cobble together.
Good points Bill. As an engineer I couldn't agree more.
Quote:
Of course, the question is often not 'What will save my life?', but 'What is the minimum I can do, even resorting to fooling the organizers, that will let me get out on that track?"
I think we have to look at this from another perspective. Every day we drive our cars on twisty back roads, frequently at supra-legal speeds. No roll bars, helmets or other safety gear is required. And we don't really worry about it. A lapping day at a track is, arguably, much safer than a high-speed run on the back roads, but we are required to have a roll bar (etc) to do it. Clearly it is mainly about liability for the track and event organizers, so there is an understandable level of frustration on the part of the person who just wants to go out and run the track. Wheel-to-wheel racing is an entirely different subject, by the way.

I believe that you should be allowed to do just about anything that doesn't endanger someone else, as long as you are willing to be responsible for the results of your own actions. You. Not the track. Not the organizers. Not your insurance company. Not society.

Don't want to wear a seat belt ? Fine. But be prepared to pay your own medical bills out of your own pocket if you crash.
Don't want to wear a motorcycle helmet ? Ditto.

John
Lexington, KY
post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 03:46 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
Good points Bill. As an engineer I couldn't agree more.

I believe that you should be allowed to do just about anything that doesn't endanger someone else, as long as you are willing to be responsible for the results of your own actions. You. Not the track. Not the organizers. Not your insurance company. Not society.
Unfortunately, John, we live in a world where risk has a tendency to shift to the person or company who has the deepest pocket, at least that's where the attorneys try to place the risk. This is why there are insurers, hired by the organizers and the tracks.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
DaveOC : Unfortunately, John, we live in a world where risk has a tendency to shift to the person or company who has the deepest pocket, at least that's where the attorneys try to place the risk. This is why there are insurers, hired by the organizers and the tracks.
Actually I think we live in a society, many of whose members believe that nothing is ever their own fault, and that someone should protect and care for them, no matter what happens. It is actually rather depressing.

John
Lexington, KY

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Autocross and Racing Discussion (SKY/Kappa)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in