Sky Rollbar, has anyone done it? - Page 4 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Autocross and Racing Discussion (SKY/Kappa) Tips, tricks, vehicle prep and setup, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I work with engineers everyday, man I can definitely tell you guys are engineers. For my original question, well event done mine yet but I have bought the solstice performance book for the plans of using the cage blueprint. I feel the need to know I'm safe over thinking that I am with a rollbar that is bolted or has no lateral support. This is why its taken me as long as it has to do mine. Hopefully I can get started on it once I get the hardtop next month.

2007 Sky Redline: DDMWorks V8 Conversion- LS376 525hp 6.2L, TR6060 6-speed, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, DDMWorks Backbone brace, DDMWorks Pro Beam, BC Coilovers, Wilwood(Front)BBK, Norms Full Hardtop and Rear facia. Tuned on LS2Edit
post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40rty View Post
I work with engineers everyday, man I can definitely tell you guys are engineers. For my original question, well event done mine yet but I have bought the solstice performance book for the plans of using the cage blueprint. I feel the need to know I'm safe over thinking that I am with a rollbar that is bolted or has no lateral support. This is why its taken me as long as it has to do mine. Hopefully I can get started on it once I get the hardtop next month.
The soft top vs hard top shouldn't matter if you have a protective cage to support, protect, and or make you feel safe! I do understand your plans tho! I plan to do the same! Let us know what you find brother!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using AutoGuide.com App
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
My best tip to you on cages.....

Read the NHRA/IHRA/NASA/SCCA rulebook on cages. Pick either a drag/road race cage (whichever suits your driving style) and build it to their spec. You will be safe.
post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 09:21 PM

We all have the RESPONSIBILITY to protect ourselves and our own. This is an old idea that is fading fast.
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 11:19 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
Actually I think we live in a society, many of whose members believe that nothing is ever their own fault, and that someone should protect and care for them, no matter what happens. It is actually rather depressing.
Kind of another all-encompassing way of saying the same thing I said, more or less. "[Believe] that someone should protect and care for them" can be translated to "believe that someone else should pay for their carelessness and/or stupidity".

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

The application for my Sky is Road Racing. I do go drag race the car but only for logging purposes or when I'm bored.

2007 Sky Redline: DDMWorks V8 Conversion- LS376 525hp 6.2L, TR6060 6-speed, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, DDMWorks Backbone brace, DDMWorks Pro Beam, BC Coilovers, Wilwood(Front)BBK, Norms Full Hardtop and Rear facia. Tuned on LS2Edit
post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
The application for my Sky is Road Racing. I do go drag race the car but only for logging purposes or when I'm bored.
Then Build a NASA/SCCA legal cage. you can google the specs and get pointers from people at SCCA or NASA events.
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
DaveOC : Kind of another all-encompassing way of saying the same thing I said, more or less. .....
Probably. Your emphasis seemed to be more on the legal and financial aspects. What bothers me more is the general attitude of so many people. The two are definitely related, and one feeds the other.
Quote:
miller11386 : Then Build a NASA/SCCA legal cage. you can google the specs and get pointers from people at SCCA or NASA events.
He said that he has the Solstice Performance book, so that is essentially what he is doing.
Quote:
yelloboy504 : The soft top vs hard top shouldn't matter if you have a protective cage to support, protect, and or make you feel safe! .....
It is important for him to have the top he will be racing with to make sure that the cage fits. Racing hard tops typically have more interior room than convertible tops, making it easier to fit the cage.
Quote:
40rty : I work with engineers everyday, man I can definitely tell you guys are engineers. For my original question, well event done mine yet but I have bought the solstice performance book for the plans of using the cage blueprint. I feel the need to know I'm safe over thinking that I am with a rollbar that is bolted or has no lateral support. This is why its taken me as long as it has to do mine. Hopefully I can get started on it once I get the hardtop next month.
I presume that you also have the GCR from whichever sanctioning body you will be racing with. It actually would be a good idea to get one from each to make sure that you don't miss something that would keep you out of one or the other. When we were building cars we also contacted a tech inspector before we would start one, to review the plans and to arrange for him to review the construction as we went. In a couple of cases it saved us problems when he pointed out things that could have been questionable during the homologation inspection.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

That's actually a great idea.

post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Did you have any more success with this part of your build?

edit: Do you by chance have pics with your hard top?

Be a part of the solution!
and
DFTT
--
In fond rememberance... We miss ya' Skip, but we'll never ferget ya! :)
--

Last edited by Nova-Exarch; 03-18-2013 at 10:12 PM.
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 11:18 AM

Garage
my roll bar is getting started in the next few weeks.

holy thread resurrection

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Autocross and Racing Discussion (SKY/Kappa)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in