Buffing Paint, Prep Work - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Car Care and Detailing Forum Discussion of detailing and car care products and techniques.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Buffing Paint, Prep Work

I am ready to machine buff my R-L. I have all the pad, buffer, etc. Watched all the video's. Not one of them talked or showed prep work. I would like to see these experts hit on prepping the car. Especially taping chrome, and rubber seals. Anyone out there have one or could lend a little expertice in this area.

Zappafan
Frank says: There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.
2008 Sky Red Line
Chili Pepper Red
Black Leather Interior
Single Disc Monsoon
DDM Performance Backbone
DDM Pro-Beam
Solo HiFlo Cat
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 12:36 PM
GT!

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I wouldn't let a newbie machine buff my Sky, and that includes myself!

-GT
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Depends on what you consider a machine buffer. A Porter Cable or equivalent random orbit buffer is easy to use even in the hands of a newbie.

eShine Canada: 1.Porter Cable 7424XP Car Buffer / Polisher

I know 'cause I have one. LOL

Last edited by Sly Bob; 11-08-2013 at 04:46 PM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I to have a portal cable, love that thing and you are right, many do not do the prep work, I learned the hard way. Taking off dried polish/wax whatever off the rubber parts IS a major PITA.. On chrome not a big deal..(altho our cars have barely any chrome), polish etc is easily removed any ways. I have gotten to the point of using a tooth brush even to get the polish out of the textured parts of the rubber and any where the stuff got on unintentionally... (ie the bottom part on the rear and my rubber splash guards).. NO MORE!!

Now what I do is this, in this order..

Wash the top using top cleaner, wash the tires/rims, Wash car, clay the car, re-wash da car, dry it, then use my 200MPH yard blower to really dry the car.., dry some more.

Then I treat the top. I then use painters blue tape along the edges of where I do not want polish or wax. Then the detailing on the paint really starts, (1st swirl removal if needed) then polish the car, then I use a paint sealant..
Walla good to go for 4 to 6 months...

Oh almost forgot, That doesn't include detailing or vacuuming the interior, that is whole other matter..

Whooo, I'm tired already just thinking about it...
(also don't fergit da beers...

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama

Last edited by MidniteBlues; 11-08-2013 at 03:06 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nice tip, MidnightBlues.

Quote:
also don't fergit da beers
well that's where the fun part goes
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Find an old car to practice on first.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 09:23 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Garage
I agree, practice first on something old. The wife's beater for example or that zombie POS. Better to f*ck it up there, than on your kappa. On a smaller car like our kappa, machine polishing, and the detail and pain that goes in to it, pays off in long term looks. Whether your doing the car show circuit, or just trying to protect your finish, from everyday life's attempts to kill it. Me, I am old school. Kappa is small, so hand work on it, to me is no big deal. An Escalade or a Coup de Ville, yeah that 26ft of land yacht, that's a big mofo to do. Sure a machine polish will look better and maybe last longer, but I still do everything by hand. Never ever a problem with burns, or brazing the surface. I know, it takes less time with the machine. Time and cleaning the car are not a problem for me. That's just me though.

MB is right. So are others here too. Your car. Your time. Anything you do to improve the looks of the kappa, makes it appeal to others, that much more. Damn that car is clean looking! The show and shine tour for me! You don't like the way your car looks, spend more time on it. Less time with a machine I know. Deeper color, less swirls, orange peels, water/bird spots, etc. If I don't like something I've cleaned already, I go back and do it again. And again till I am happy with it. 3 or 4 times, yeah that might anal retentive, to some. Then again, wait until you see the looks you get, when you drive through the next shopping center in your kappa. Had an older lady say that to me the other day. That sure is a nice looking car you have there. Thanks. I had not done a full clean and gleam job to it this year. Just wiped it down before my cruise. Brand new in your driveway, to ten years down the road, your car and personal attention to it, the next great thing on the shelf for your automotive pleasure, is all part of the car culture.

LAC
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Just in time. Autoblog is currently running a detailing video series:
Autoblog Details (Video Library)

You're enthusiasts. So are we. But there's a lot of jobs that can be surprisingly tricky, especially if you're not sure how to do it. Enter Details. Today we're launching these short-form videos starring the world's preeminent detailer, Larry Kosilla. We've got everything you need about how to get your machine looking right. Here's the library, and it includes everything from waxing to removing salt stains (you'll want to watch that one after all of the winter slush). Go ahead and binge watch 'em, and come back to Autoblog, where we'll highlight a new video each week.

How to wash your paint properly
How to repair a deep scratch
How to rinseless wash your car
How to use a steam cleaner
How to wash your car in 15 minutes
How to wax your car
How to remove salt stains
How to shine tires and avoid tire sling
How to remove dog hair from car interiors
How to remove car stickers
How to remove car emblems
How to remove a coffee stain from your car
How to properly vacuum your car
How to properly clean wheels
How to polish car paint
How to compound paint to remove light scratches
How to maintain an automotive clear bra
How to fix a rock chip
How to dry your car's paint safely
How to condition leather seats
How to clean your steering wheel

Last edited by ChopTop; 03-22-2016 at 02:35 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
There is a complete sub-forum here on Sky Roadster.com devoted to "Car Care and Detailing:" Car Care and Detailing Forum - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

There used to be a frequent contributor named "Junkman2008" who represented one of the polish/wax vendors and he posted many informative videos and answers to forum members questions about the subject. Check out some of his previous posts in that sub-forum.

Yogi

EDIT: OOPS! I just noticed that this IS posted to the Detailing sub-forum. My bad!

Yogi

"Black Bart"
2008 Onyx Black Redline with Black Convertible Top
5 Speed Stick
Single Disk Monsoon Sound
Black Interior with Black Leather Seats
GM MB-222 Chrome "Snowflake" Wheels

Last edited by Yogi; 04-03-2016 at 04:27 PM.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > Car Care and Detailing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in