Car Washing / Basics - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Car Care and Detailing Forum Discussion of detailing and car care products and techniques.

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's my turn View Post
We women have our ways!
Not going to question you there.

I treated my Sky top with the Ragtopp kit two weeks ago while I hit my 10 year old SC2 with Gary's superkit. There's a thread around here somewhere which describes the the Ragtop process. The short of it is to stuff a bunch of newspaper or towels around the edges of your top so you don't spray any of it on the paint. Between coats on the Sky top, I did the full first detail for practice on the SC2. Very easy. Even though the car's brand new, you'll still remove any wax or whatever. Just soak it in Dawn dishwashing liquid solution. This is the only time you'll want to use dishwashing detergent. I lathered it up and went back to the Sky. Washed it off and continued on with claying and all the rest. As far as justification? Well you have your ways, but the sealant in Gary's kit is equivalent to the sealent the dealer may want $700 for, so it's an easy pitch there. Much more to this than just claying, not that it's that much harder or time consuming and the results will blow you away.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, Skykid here. I'm the proud new owner of an 07 RL Sky and loving every second of it. I thought my inside knowledge would be useful especially on this subject. I used to work in the detail department for Saturn. I liked my job a lot and the dealership was awesome. This is not a knock on the dealership by any means and I do not want to come across as some disgruntled employee. I am just going to state fact about the way mydealership did things and our policies.

1. All new cars before sale are prep-ed using a chemical called crystal wash. This solvent is specifically designed to remove industrial fallout from factory chemicals.

a) (Opinion) I do not like this chemical at all. It is toxic and may cause micro scratches in the protective coating that could posibbly lead to more permanent damage such as swirling in the cars finish.

2. All cars are washed with brushes and dried with chamois. The detail department uses brushes to wash all vehicles whether it is a service vehicle for courtesy wash, sold unit for new customer, or (this is a big one) a high priced Caltex to protect your interior and finish. ALL VEHICLES ARE WASHED AND DRIED THE SAME WAY

a) Like Gary said in the earlier post, microfiber and chenille mits are the only way to go for washing your baby. The do not scratch the finish and are completely non-abrasive.

b) In the detail shop we used two buckets both filled with soap and water. These buckets are used all day long and seldom does the water get changed. Think about all that dirt and grime from the previous 20 vehicles scratching the surface of your new car.

c) Don't blame the detailers at the dealership or the dealership itself. Most of the employees make less than $10 an hour to wash cars by hand all day long. They do not care about your car anymore than the drive-through car washes. The dealership has to meet it's overhead costs and money for Saturn has been restricted by GM to allow for product development on new vehicles. How do you think the Sky came to be? The dealerships do the very best they can in most cases and genuinely care about their customers cares and concerns.

d) If you take your vehicle in to be serviced, request that it not be washed or detailed. If not it will be treated just like all other service vehicles and will go back for the usual courtesy wash and vacuum.

3. The most important thing is turn-around time for the detail department. We may have five technicians working on cars and they all finish at the same time. There may only be one or two detailers on shift. You may be waiting for your vehicle for quite a while at this point. The poor detailer is moving as fast as he can but he has five cars to wash and dry by hand. What kind of quality work do you expect to receive from this process? Not to include if there is a new or used car for prep or a Caltex job standing by. He is the only one doing all this. So once again ask yourself about quality.

a) (Fact) The dealer will sell you an expensive Caltex detail as a detail. It is not neccessarily that. It is a kind of detail and we do apply paint, upholstery, and carpet protectant to the vehicle. Don't be mislead or confused though. You are buying a warranty when you purchase a Caltex detail more than you are purchasing a detail. If we cannot get out that stain or scratch or whatever, that is when the Caltex warranty should kick in. They (The dealership) should replace or fix the problem as long as you paid for the Caltex during the initial vehicle purchase. A Caltex will not cover pre-existing damage to the vehicle.

This is the way my dealership ran things. I cannot speak for other dealerships or other saturn detailers. The information I gave above is accurate to my experiences working there. I have detailed cars since I was sixteen years old and am now twenty seven. The info contained in Garys article is spot on and is the way most professional detailers work. Detailing can be a pain but treat it as an art and enjoy yourself and you will reap the results. Just follow Garys instuctions and you can keep that baby in the garage shining and sparkling for years.

Thanks for your time and it is awesome to be apart of the community.

Skykid
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 04:37 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Send a message via MSN to jrarant Send a message via Yahoo to jrarant
Microfiber towels and mits

I found mirofiber mits (pack of 3 I think) and microfiber towels (pack of 25) at my Sams Club this past weekend. Only $9.00 for the pack. I picked up a set of the towels.

Midnight Blue, Black Top/Leather VIN: 2773 Del 06/08/06 RIP 08/12/06
Forest Green, Redline, Black Top, Tan Interior
Deposit - 08/18/06
Ordered 05/25/07
Born 06/18/07
Delivered: 07/12/07

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 04:42 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Send a message via MSN to jrarant Send a message via Yahoo to jrarant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skykid View Post
a) (Fact) The dealer will sell you an expensive Caltex detail as a detail. It is not neccessarily that. It is a kind of detail and we do apply paint, upholstery, and carpet protectant to the vehicle. Don't be mislead or confused though. You are buying a warranty when you purchase a Caltex detail more than you are purchasing a detail. If we cannot get out that stain or scratch or whatever, that is when the Caltex warranty should kick in. They (The dealership) should replace or fix the problem as long as you paid for the Caltex during the initial vehicle purchase. A Caltex will not cover pre-existing damage to the vehicle.

Skykid
Question - As careful as I am being I hit a curbstop yesterday. (Parking space was on a downslop, curb stop was on the up slope.)

I purchased the First Place Finish which is the name that my dealership uses for the paint/interior warranty. Do you know if these types of scratches are covered?

Midnight Blue, Black Top/Leather VIN: 2773 Del 06/08/06 RIP 08/12/06
Forest Green, Redline, Black Top, Tan Interior
Deposit - 08/18/06
Ordered 05/25/07
Born 06/18/07
Delivered: 07/12/07

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 04:59 PM

You'll have to check and see what the warranty covers. They should have given you a brochure with all the info on coverages in it. If it is listed on there, they should honor the coverage.
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 10:43 PM

What about the top i got a spot on it and am scared to use just any cleaner on it need some help.
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 05:41 PM

question, your website says to clay after you wash and dry the car, yet here it says make sure you dont dry the car without claying first, as it could cause scratches

post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:34 PM

Read the above (car washing) with great interest. Just purchased a 2007 Sky (Black) and the issue of auto car washing never occurred to me before purchase. The prior owner kept this car in the garage. I may or may not have access to a garage. How good are car covers? any recommended type/brand? Very few nicks in the paint. Is there something I should do initially to maintain the finish? Is there a recommended detailer in the Fairfax, Burke, Springfield, VA area? Recommended car washing materials to purchase? Thanks.
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22pilot View Post
Read the above (car washing) with great interest. Just purchased a 2007 Sky (Black) and the issue of auto car washing never occurred to me before purchase. The prior owner kept this car in the garage. I may or may not have access to a garage. How good are car covers? any recommended type/brand? Very few nicks in the paint. Is there something I should do initially to maintain the finish? Is there a recommended detailer in the Fairfax, Burke, Springfield, VA area? Recommended car washing materials to purchase? Thanks.
Welcome to the club! Looks like you live right around the block....figuratively speaking.

I keep it covered daily....but I have the option not to drive it in bad weather. Problem with a cover is you shouldn't cover a wet or dirty car, so if you must drive it on wet days you have to give up the cover on those days. And what do you do with a wet cover? On the flip side, if you live around any trees around here, they drop stuff ALL THE TIME...almost year round. So keeping it covered is a good idea to avoid that stuff.

It's very hard to manage a cover properly. It can be done. But gotta really think about.

I've had mine three years. 26K miles. Almost all in NOVA. The roads around here are like gravel pits. I've got hundreds of nics on my finish. I pretty much avoid the beltway construction zone.

Best advice. Keep it detailed. Since you need to do it almost daily, might as well do it yourself. Keep it waxed.

2008 Redline Auto
Born 7/20/07
Snagged 8/31/07
Released 8/8/15
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
Welcome to the club! Looks like you live right around the block....figuratively speaking.

I keep it covered daily....but I have the option not to drive it in bad weather. Problem with a cover is you shouldn't cover a wet or dirty car, so if you must drive it on wet days you have to give up the cover on those days. And what do you do with a wet cover? On the flip side, if you live around any trees around here, they drop stuff ALL THE TIME...almost year round. So keeping it covered is a good idea to avoid that stuff.

It's very hard to manage a cover properly. It can be done. But gotta really think about.

I've had mine three years. 26K miles. Almost all in NOVA. The roads around here are like gravel pits. I've got hundreds of nics on my finish. I pretty much avoid the beltway construction zone.

Best advice. Keep it detailed. Since you need to do it almost daily, might as well do it yourself. Keep it waxed.

Well said... excellent point about when to use a cover... NEVER EVER EVER EVER put a cover on the car even if its slightly dusty. The combination of that contamination and the cover up against it will be like sandpaper on your finish, made infinitely worse if theres a breeze or wind causing the cover to shift of flap even slightly.

USE COUPON CODE: SKY TO RECEIVE 10% YOUR NEXT ORDER AT www.ADAMSPOLISHES.com
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 03:19 PM

I've had my Sky 3 weeks now and am following the advice given above.
A question I have is how do you get dust off of the car short of a complete wash job? I just came back from a nice drive and parked on concrete close to a gravel lot at a restaurant. Now it has dust on it visible from the seat. I washed it yesterday and don't really want to have to do it again today. It still looks shiny but I want to get the dust off without risk of scratching.

2008 Bluestone Sky Redline
Venom Brace
Backbone Brace
Woodgrain interior
Diamond pattern console cover
Trifecta tune
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladmaker View Post
I've had my Sky 3 weeks now and am following the advice given above.
A question I have is how do you get dust off of the car short of a complete wash job? I just came back from a nice drive and parked on concrete close to a gravel lot at a restaurant. Now it has dust on it visible from the seat. I washed it yesterday and don't really want to have to do it again today. It still looks shiny but I want to get the dust off without risk of scratching.
Get a California Duster. I use mine just about after every drive.

2008 SKY Redline Auto Trans. w/ Spoiler
Techno Grey-Black Top
Black/Red Leather
GMPP Stage 2 Tune
Solo High-Flow Cat/K&N air filter
DDMWorks Backbone/Venom Brace/Kappasphere reBAR
18" Chrome Saturn Rims
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 03:36 PM

What is that and where do I get it?

2008 Bluestone Sky Redline
Venom Brace
Backbone Brace
Woodgrain interior
Diamond pattern console cover
Trifecta tune
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 03:45 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Almost any auto parts store. AutoZone, Pep Boys, Ect.

Her name is: "Dream Catcher"

'09 R/L LE
Ruby Red Striped
3 pedels
Blk. Top
Kappashield w/Artwork by Danne De Backer
6 Disc Monsoon
Tons of Kappasphere stuff!
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
I carry detail spray and clean microfiber towels. If the cars are dusty but not dirty, I spray them with detail spray and then very softly wipe them down to remove the dust. It works great.

Adam's Detail Spray 36 oz

I get my microfiber towels at COSTCO by the bundle.

Yellow microfiber rags at Costco | Costco blog/discussion forum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	left side low rocks.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	43318  

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > Car Care and Detailing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in