First Detail - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Car Care and Detailing Forum Discussion of detailing and car care products and techniques.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First Detail

Quote:
So just to clarify:

In post #1 of this thread you talk about using an all-purpose cleaner for the first detail only, to remove any wax residue, etc. So is this when you would use the Dawn? Can you give us some more examples of what an acceptable all-purpose cleaner would be?

Thanks!
A mild solution of all purpose cleaner OR dawn mix is acceptable, you can use either or, which is why I mentioned both. just make sure you cut the recommended ratio to half what they suggest. For the dawn, just use enough to get some suds working in the bucket, no need to put more than an ounce or so. Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
In other posts, Turbomangt, you mentioned using dawn dish soap. Can you give little more calrification on these products and when to use them and not to use them.
The only time you can use a MILD solution of a dawn wash is for the FIRST time you are detailing your car and spending the poper amount of time going through the steps. (wash/caly/wash/deepclean polish/ seal) Once that is done, you should not have to use dawn anymore. for regualr washings use car wash soap. Gary
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

First Detail

First Detail

Here is a basic guide for detailing your new Sol for the first time. Some basic things you will need are two plastic buckets, wash mitt (don’t use any type of sponge or towel) chanelli, Micro fiber, Terri, lambs wool type. Any of these are available at any auto supply store. Car wash soap, foam applicator pads, Electric leaf blower, wheel brush (soft bristle) waffle weave micro fiber towel, smaller MF towels, clay bar, all purpose cleaner, garden tank type sprayer, (optional) hose and water. Detailing chemicals: clay bar,spray and shine, paint cleaner, paint sealer, poly-seal (optional) dressing, wheel cleaner.

Make sure you work in the shade. Fill one bucket with car wash soap and water, the other with plain water. In your tank sprayer, put a cut ratio less 50% of what they recommend of all purpose cleaner. NOTE, we will use the all purpose cleaner for the first detail only NEVER use all purpose cleaner for regular washings. The reason we are using it now, is because we want to remove ALL contaminants plus any wax you or the dealer might have put on your finish. First spray water on the entire car, wheels and wheel wells also. Now spray the solution on the car from the tank sprayer. Starting from the top of the car, using your wash mitt wash the car as you normally would. Make sure however that you use the fresh water bucket to rinse out the wash mitt, then to go the soapy water. Save wheels for last. Change soapy water as often as necessary depending on how dirty your car is. Now rinse the car. Get a fresh bucket of soapy water, using your wheel brush, clean your wheels and wheel wells, rinse.
Before you dry, clay the car, (read the sticky for clay bar procedure) wash again to remove any clay residue. Use the leaf blower and blow dry the car, final drying use waffle weave MF towel. Spray dressing on the tires and wheel wells.
Paint cleaner/polish. Put a small amount of paint cleaner on your foam pad, using back and forth motion work product into the finish. Remove with a small MF towel, Work in small sections at a time, do not allow product to dry. Do entire car. Keep in mind the claying removes contaminants “ON” the finish and my paint cleaner will prep the paint for final application of the sealant.
Next, using a new applicator pad, apply a small amount of my sealant to the pad, apply a thin layer over the finish, allow to dry 20 minutes, (this allows the sealant to bond to the finish) remove with MF towel. You should put a layer of sealant on the wheels as well.

The poly seal should be used once a month or as often as you want, it has polymers which will prolong the life of the sealant, keeping your finish looking new longer. It will enhance the look, giving it a glass like finish.
See, that wasn’t so bad was it? GARY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ToTheTop
Introducing some of Gary's very informative posts.

Save the Kappa!
A grassroots movement to save the Kappa platform based cars.
It's not just a car, it's a lifestyle and a community.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:23 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Gary,
What do you recommend for the top?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

For the sol top, all you need to do is wash it with the same car wash solution you are using for the finish, In the event you get a small stain, use some all purpose cleaner (like 409 or simple green) use a old toothbruch with the cleaner to aggitate then mark rinse well. I have heard good things about that rag top stuff, that might be good to protect it. I think I may do it on mine. gary
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 11:03 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Send a message via AIM to bigdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomangt View Post
For the sol top, all you need to do is wash it with the same car wash solution you are using for the finish, In the event you get a small stain, use some all purpose cleaner (like 409 or simple green) use a old toothbruch with the cleaner to aggitate then mark rinse well. I have heard good things about that rag top stuff, that might be good to protect it. I think I may do it on mine. gary
First, let me chime in here on Gary's products - they are simply the best I have ever used on a car. If you haven't yet - buy some and try it (do I get a commision, Gary?).

For the top, I have and use the Ragtopp products, both the cleaner and the protectant. Easy to use and the top looks new after 7500 miles. The protectant does just that - water rolls off.

-Pete
WCKCC member
2007 2.4L VIN: 01472
Delivered 5/23/2006
SGS (Silly Grin Syndrome) still has me in it's grip and I don't want to be let go!

Universal Law of Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 06:56 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Now it Shines!

Thanks Gary,
Attached are the pictures after claying and sealing. Gary is correct car from dealer had glue and polished in finger prints on the car, could see all the swirls on the paint, shiny but looked bad. I used the Macquires clay kit and dish soap first to get all the dealer junk wax off. Now the car is show ready I already last Friday used raggtopp on the canvas it was good to see it bead up today.

TulsaSky
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-004F.JPG
Views:	412
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	8869   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-001F.JPG
Views:	469
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	8870  

06 Daytona Sunset Orange Corvette Coupe
00 White Silverado Pickup-Daily Driver
64 Sapphire Blue Sunbeam Alpine Ė restored
07 Midnight Blue Red Line Sky
Born 10/03/2006 Delivered 11/14/2006
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 11:24 PM

Dri Wash?

Gary, are you familiar with the Dri Wash product? I have heard some good things about it. Any input would be appreciated
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaylor View Post
Gary, are you familiar with the Dri Wash product? I have heard some good things about it. Any input would be appreciated
Someone just asked Gary this on the Solforum yesterday.

Dri Wash 'n Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Has anybody used the DRI WASH 'n GUARD products on their Solstice? If you have, I was just wondering if you
were pleased with the results or if you had any problems.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomangt
Thier has been much talk on this subject, its basically a quick detail spray like my spray and shine. If you know how
to use it, QDS work fine, the problems occur when people think they can use it instead of washing their car, this
will cause serious trouble. whenever you have dirt/grime on your car, you need surfactants (soap) and water to
break down the contaminants safely, so it flows off your car, It you try to use a towel and QDS on a dirty car, you
will cause swirls and scratches. QDS is designed to remove dust and finger prints. Gary
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 10:36 AM

Gary, the following message was posted on the "Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion, "WTF??? My RedLine is back to Event 2000! [Not anymore...]" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPainter

The factory does not apply any type of sealant/wax to the paint. Your vehicle is painted with a Dupont clearcoat two component urethane product on top of a waterborne basecoat. Even thouth the vehicle goes through an oven the chemistry of a 2k product actually requires 30-60 days to properly cure. It should not be waxed for at least 30 days.

I know that detailing isn't waxing, per se, but does that mean that we should wait 30-60 days before detailing/sealing a new Sky?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

"Cure" time is more of an issue with after market painting, example when you get into an accident and the body shop paints your car, in that case you should wait 30-60 days, they don't have the hi tech ovens to bake in the finish like at the factory. New cars are oven cured, which means by the time you get delivery of your car, its ready to be wax/sealed. Gary
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi guys...I'm a newbie to this forum. Just got my ChiliPepRed Sky delivered last Wednesday...man it is ever awesome to drive...
Cool topics...need good info in how to nicely wash this baby...it's been raining ever since I picked it up and want to clean it as soon as possible!!!

Great tips...just got through reading some of the tips for detailing...THANX...got my answers.

Last edited by Pesky1; 06-26-2007 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Noticed previous thread on car care...
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I am a new owner and have not yet received my dark green with black top SKY.
I have been looking around this site some and this thread about cleaning information will be very helpful,lots of tips,thanks.
butter

Butter[/COLOR][FONT="Comic Sans
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Welcome!! Don't see many or enough green Skys. Beautiful color. You'll certainly want to keep that thing clean.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > Car Care and Detailing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in