Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/)
-   Car Care and Detailing Forum (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f41/)
-   -   My review of (in my opinion)the best paint repair product on the market Dr. Colorchip (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f41/my-review-my-opinion-best-paint-repair-product-market-dr-colorchip-93853/)

MattM 07-12-2018 12:48 PM

My review of (in my opinion)the best paint repair product on the market Dr. Colorchip

5 Attachment(s)
I realized that I probably should have posted my original thread in this forum for people who want/need to fix paint issues. This product was amazing for me and if you really want to fix bigger issues with your paint I definitely recommend the Dr. Color Chip. All of the work I did last year on my car with the nasty chips I had still looks great! Here is first post of that thread. I included the end results in that thread as well.

So this review is for the Dr. Colorchip paint Chip Repair product. The URL to the site is Dr. ColorChip Automotive Paint Chip Repair Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems

Anyway, the product says that you "dab then smear over the chip." They also get your paint code so the paint you get for your car is matched to it perfectly.

The directions tell you to take the brush that comes in the kit and fill it with the paint and dab around the chip then use the glove to smear into the chip. Wait from two minutes up to an hour, and then you're supposed to take another product called "sealact" and LIGHTLY rub the excess paint off. Once you get the paint off you are then supposed to immediately buff to a shine.

Now I can understand their instructions for a few chips at a time, but what about the massive crater field that is on both fender flares infront of the back wheels? I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.

Here is a picture of the crater field (and it's like that on both sides)

Attachment 102423

You can also see on the rear fender in front of the rear wheel that area being much much whiter. Ugh! It's terrible!

Attachment 102453

So clearly "dab and smear" isn't really going to work for me since I have so many paint chips to deal with, so I decided I would actually "smear" a large enough amount to cover all of the chips. The first time I did this I used the "sealact" to wipe the excess, but I used too much pressure which didn't really yield the results I was looking for. Here is what it looked like after the first time. I think there is a difference but I wasn't happy.
Attachment 102427

Not liking those results I went back and put the paint onto a folded up paper towel to smear over the chips in a smoother fashion. I then used the "sealact" again but with much less pressure and have to say that I'm pretty impressed with the results!
Attachment 102431
Long story short. If you have that same problem with paint chips in the area in front of your rear wheels I definately recommend Dr. Paint chip. I would say just to make sure you use a paper towel to smear the paint fully over the area and then LIGHTLY wipe with the "sealact." It should work for you as well!

Link to thread: https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f...product-85594/

MattM 07-13-2018 12:42 PM

Sorry if the post comes across as confusing...The edit function isn't working correctly.

Long story short. The product works! I recommend it and use it to fix smaller chips now as well.

Emmett 07-14-2018 02:21 PM

Your car really looks nice.

MattM 07-17-2018 12:35 PM

Thanks! Yeah, I'm really proud of it! I like it a lot better after I fixed that chipped area on both sides. Just wanted to make sure everyone had the before and after information because it really works!

TomatoSoup 07-17-2018 01:04 PM

I can see this working on a dark and/or non-metallic paint finish. It's light metallic paints I would be wary of trying (like mine). Be interesting to see the results on such.

MattM 07-18-2018 12:18 PM

I would guarantee they have your paint code. What I would do is order a small kit to have. Then fix a couple of small paint chips to see how it does.

TerryJ 07-18-2018 03:08 PM

Paint chip repair

I have used the Dr Colorchip repair kits on several different cars and SUV's and they all worked great. I have not found a better repair system yet. TerryJ.

mtdjohn2018 03-14-2019 08:29 AM

I have tried it on lighter silver and grey with heavy metallic finishes and it did not work very well. Although temporary, I have had just as good results with the colored wax on the small chips.

MattM 03-14-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtdjohn2018 (Post 1295573)
I have tried it on lighter silver and grey with heavy metallic finishes and it did not work very well. Although temporary, I have had just as good results with the colored wax on the small chips.

What do you mean by, "it did not work well?" Did it fill in the gap? Was the color not matched right? More details please.

mtdjohn2018 03-15-2019 08:42 AM

It did fill in the gap, but the chips appeared to be darker than the rest of the car. I did use it on my wife's dark red suv and it worked OK. I think you can probably get acceptable results with solid non-metallic colors.

MattM 05-03-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtdjohn2018 (Post 1295605)
It did fill in the gap, but the chips appeared to be darker than the rest of the car. I did use it on my wife's dark red suv and it worked OK. I think you can probably get acceptable results with solid non-metallic colors.

Sorry, seeing this. Hmmm....are you positive the colors were matched?

mtdjohn2018 05-03-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattM (Post 1298649)
Sorry, seeing this. Hmmm....are you positive the colors were matched?

I used this when I had my silver Murano that had a lot of metallic flakes in the finish. I actually thought afterwords that the chips stood out more after using the Dr. Colorchip. I ordered the matching paint code but for some reason the chips came out looking darker than the rest of the finish. As I mentioned previously, my wife's suv with a non metallic finish came out looking ok compared to mine. I do have a bit of rash around the wheels so:cheers: perhaps I will give it another try. Knowing myself, I'm certainly not above screwing up the directions when I last used the product. Your results are definitely a big improvement and worth another look! :cheers:

davhamm 05-03-2019 06:47 PM

Not unusual, getting metal flake right in a small patch is very hard. Not enough flake and it looks darker. That's why metallic flake is so hard to match.

TomatoSoup 05-04-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davhamm (Post 1298669)
That's why metallic flake is so hard to match.

Yeah - interesting bit I just saw on 'Bitchin' Rides' where the painter, using the exact same dark grey metallic paint, sprayed a series of stripes on a test plate. 5 different colors (shades) came out depending on just spray distance and pressure. Wow.

MattM 05-06-2019 12:25 PM

Yeah, I think this works more for dark to very dark colors where the area in front of the back wheels gets eaten up and starts showing a mine field of white in an otherwise nice looking dark to very dark coat of paint.

I think for lighter color cars that area in front of the back wheel isn't really noticeable enough to need to worry about anything.