My review of (in my opinion)the best paint repair product on the market Dr. Colorchip - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Car Care and Detailing Forum Discussion of detailing and car care products and techniques.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
My review of (in my opinion)the best paint repair product on the market Dr. Colorchip

I realized that I probably should have posted my original thread in this forum for people who want/need to fix paint issues. This product was amazing for me and if you really want to fix bigger issues with your paint I definitely recommend the Dr. Color Chip. All of the work I did last year on my car with the nasty chips I had still looks great! Here is first post of that thread. I included the end results in that thread as well.

So this review is for the Dr. Colorchip paint Chip Repair product. The URL to the site is Dr. ColorChip Automotive Paint Chip Repair Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems

Anyway, the product says that you "dab then smear over the chip." They also get your paint code so the paint you get for your car is matched to it perfectly.

The directions tell you to take the brush that comes in the kit and fill it with the paint and dab around the chip then use the glove to smear into the chip. Wait from two minutes up to an hour, and then you're supposed to take another product called "sealact" and LIGHTLY rub the excess paint off. Once you get the paint off you are then supposed to immediately buff to a shine.

Now I can understand their instructions for a few chips at a time, but what about the massive crater field that is on both fender flares infront of the back wheels? I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.

Here is a picture of the crater field (and it's like that on both sides)

My review of (in my opinion)the best paint repair product on the market Dr. Colorchip-colorchip1.jpg

You can also see on the rear fender in front of the rear wheel that area being much much whiter. Ugh! It's terrible!

My review of (in my opinion)the best paint repair product on the market Dr. Colorchip-new-wheels-3.jpg

So clearly "dab and smear" isn't really going to work for me since I have so many paint chips to deal with, so I decided I would actually "smear" a large enough amount to cover all of the chips. The first time I did this I used the "sealact" to wipe the excess, but I used too much pressure which didn't really yield the results I was looking for. Here is what it looked like after the first time. I think there is a difference but I wasn't happy.
My review of (in my opinion)the best paint repair product on the market Dr. Colorchip-0426171918.jpg

Not liking those results I went back and put the paint onto a folded up paper towel to smear over the chips in a smoother fashion. I then used the "sealact" again but with much less pressure and have to say that I'm pretty impressed with the results!
My review of (in my opinion)the best paint repair product on the market Dr. Colorchip-clean-car-2.jpg
Long story short. If you have that same problem with paint chips in the area in front of your rear wheels I definately recommend Dr. Paint chip. I would say just to make sure you use a paper towel to smear the paint fully over the area and then LIGHTLY wipe with the "sealact." It should work for you as well!

Link to thread: https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f...product-85594/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0411170721.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	102429  

Last edited by MattM; 07-13-2018 at 12:40 PM.
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Sorry if the post comes across as confusing...The edit function isn't working correctly.

Long story short. The product works! I recommend it and use it to fix smaller chips now as well.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
Your car really looks nice.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Yeah, I'm really proud of it! I like it a lot better after I fixed that chipped area on both sides. Just wanted to make sure everyone had the before and after information because it really works!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
I can see this working on a dark and/or non-metallic paint finish. It's light metallic paints I would be wary of trying (like mine). Be interesting to see the results on such.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

I would guarantee they have your paint code. What I would do is order a small kit to have. Then fix a couple of small paint chips to see how it does.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Paint chip repair

I have used the Dr Colorchip repair kits on several different cars and SUV's and they all worked great. I have not found a better repair system yet. TerryJ.

"Man cannot live by Bread alone, He must have Peanut Butter"
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
I have tried it on lighter silver and grey with heavy metallic finishes and it did not work very well. Although temporary, I have had just as good results with the colored wax on the small chips.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjohn2018 View Post
I have tried it on lighter silver and grey with heavy metallic finishes and it did not work very well. Although temporary, I have had just as good results with the colored wax on the small chips.
What do you mean by, "it did not work well?" Did it fill in the gap? Was the color not matched right? More details please.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:42 AM

Garage
It did fill in the gap, but the chips appeared to be darker than the rest of the car. I did use it on my wife's dark red suv and it worked OK. I think you can probably get acceptable results with solid non-metallic colors.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjohn2018 View Post
It did fill in the gap, but the chips appeared to be darker than the rest of the car. I did use it on my wife's dark red suv and it worked OK. I think you can probably get acceptable results with solid non-metallic colors.
Sorry, seeing this. Hmmm....are you positive the colors were matched?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
Sorry, seeing this. Hmmm....are you positive the colors were matched?
I used this when I had my silver Murano that had a lot of metallic flakes in the finish. I actually thought afterwords that the chips stood out more after using the Dr. Colorchip. I ordered the matching paint code but for some reason the chips came out looking darker than the rest of the finish. As I mentioned previously, my wife's suv with a non metallic finish came out looking ok compared to mine. I do have a bit of rash around the wheels so perhaps I will give it another try. Knowing myself, I'm certainly not above screwing up the directions when I last used the product. Your results are definitely a big improvement and worth another look!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Not unusual, getting metal flake right in a small patch is very hard. Not enough flake and it looks darker. That's why metallic flake is so hard to match.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davhamm View Post
That's why metallic flake is so hard to match.
Yeah - interesting bit I just saw on 'Bitchin' Rides' where the painter, using the exact same dark grey metallic paint, sprayed a series of stripes on a test plate. 5 different colors (shades) came out depending on just spray distance and pressure. Wow.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I think this works more for dark to very dark colors where the area in front of the back wheels gets eaten up and starts showing a mine field of white in an otherwise nice looking dark to very dark coat of paint.

I think for lighter color cars that area in front of the back wheel isn't really noticeable enough to need to worry about anything.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > Car Care and Detailing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in