newbie with a question about roof care - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Car Care and Detailing Forum Discussion of detailing and car care products and techniques.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
newbie with a question about roof care

Hi all,

My name is JP, my wife has just bought a sky, not a redline one, just a normal roaster one. But it looks really sharp and she absolutely loves it. As she is not really one for washing her car I guess it is will be my job to keep it looking nice and clean for her.

Being from England we donít have the weather to make it worthwhile owning a convertible so this is my first hands on experience of one, so I donít really know how to maintain the roof correctly, and also I am not fully familiar with all the different products available in the US.

My wifeís car is piano black with a black soft top roof. And I have 2 questions really, what can I use to protect the roof, from sun damage, drying out and cracking, and most importantly bird poop. And my second question, which probably should be in another area as it is not really about cleaning, but is there any maintenance I should be to doing to the mechanicals of the roof?

I would appreciate any help and advice and I look forward to having a good look through the forum.

Thanks
Jp
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Hi all,

My name is JP, my wife has just bought a sky, not a redline one, just a normal roaster one. But it looks really sharp and she absolutely loves it. As she is not really one for washing her car I guess it is will be my job to keep it looking nice and clean for her.

Being from England we donít have the weather to make it worthwhile owning a convertible so this is my first hands on experience of one, so I donít really know how to maintain the roof correctly, and also I am not fully familiar with all the different products available in the US.

My wifeís car is piano black with a black soft top roof. And I have 2 questions really, what can I use to protect the roof, from sun damage, drying out and cracking, and most importantly bird poop. And my second question, which probably should be in another area as it is not really about cleaning, but is there any maintenance I should be to doing to the mechanicals of the roof?

I would appreciate any help and advice and I look forward to having a good look through the forum.

Thanks
Jp
Welcome to the forum.

I don't really know if there's anything short of a car cover to protect against bird droppings, if you must park it outside. Garage it if you can--garages protect well from the assault of the elements.

The car cover will also protect the top, paint, and interior from UV light from the sun (provided it's one of the thicker covers).

You do want to check to be sure that the foam block spacers that hold open the drainage funnel are still in place. They are just below the top edge of the part of the top that is below the window and sides with the tubes going down through the body' Also, check for debris (leaves & twigs) in the drainage tubes. Those are two areas that you might not have considered.

When washing the car, be aware that the chrome plates where the tails of the top lock into the rear deck lid are just holes that go straight into the trunk. There are some aftermarket plugs that you can get to block those if you want to wash the car with the wings NOT locked in place. If you do wash it with the wings up, you'll probably wind up with water in the trunk. When the wings are locked down, they have rubber gaskets to prevent water entering the trunk--so wash it with the wings locked down.

There are many people who have put the 3M clear bra protective films on as well. They seem to work well, but it's best to have them professionally installed--they are a bit tricky the first time you try one.

There are also some thin material car covers that pack up much smaller which you can keep with you in the trunk (they'll take up about 1/3 to 1/2 of your trunk space, so that might not work if you typically haul a lot of stuff in the trunk). You can throw the cover over it when parked while you're out if you must park under trees or under overhead lighting fixtures. (Birds tend to off-load their ballast just before take-off, so you'll get bombed if you park under the light poles or trees )

Anyway, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll be in for miles and miles of smiles.

Founder & Member at Large,
West Coast Kappa Car Club http://wckcc.org

West Coast Kappa Car Club
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 04:28 PM

Garage
Welcome to the site.
Just a normal roadster. What is that?lol
I live in Pa also,
LLLFLY

08 PW R/L 5-spd,The Wolf
Goodyear Blimp flight 2010 NASSM
Best of Show Old Bridge,NJ 2011
Best Interior 2012 NASSM
2nd American Legends 2013
DDMWORKS Loaded, Wind Restrictor

Last edited by lllfly; 03-26-2011 at 04:32 PM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
For convertible top care there are two main suppliers that folks swear by... 303 and Raggtop - but make sure you are getting them for fabric (not vinyl). Both come separately in bottles of different sizes or in kits of cleaner and protector... Examples of the kits (these are from Amazon, but only 'cos it's easy to post a link):

303:
Amazon.com: 303 Fabric Convertible Top Cleaner & Protector Kit (030520): Automotive Amazon.com: 303 Fabric Convertible Top Cleaner & Protector Kit (030520): Automotive

Raggtop:
Amazon.com: RAGGTOPP Convertible Top Care Kit - Fabric: Automotive Amazon.com: RAGGTOPP Convertible Top Care Kit - Fabric: Automotive

Personally I went with 303 because, on balance, more posts on these forums recommended it. But I think it's 1/2 a dozen of one...

(P.S. I'm also an ex-Brit. Never had a roadster before - now I'm a convert )

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...

Last edited by TomatoSoup; 03-26-2011 at 04:32 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the top tips Crimson Avenger , especially the one about the top locks on the rear deck, I would probably have learnt that the hard way.

Hi tomatosoup, I will take a look at the two products you mentioned, thanks for the advice, and hello to a fellow brit

LLLFLY I will reply to your PM
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 12:55 AM

Welcome to the forum. This is what I did on my father and my sky's:

https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f4...awesome-24959/

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedred View Post
Mother always told me never to pay more than $40 for a rimjob.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is the car a daily driver (drive in rain or bad weather?), or mainly a "nice day" driver?
Is it parked under trees in driveway or on street?

There are many different approaches to keeping a car looking nice, and these are often unique to each person's specific circumstances. And there are also many compromises between effort and results.

2008 Redline Auto
Born 7/20/07
Snagged 8/31/07
Released 8/8/15
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

great write up xmicro_Redline, thanks that is something I will probably need to do.

Hi Bogie, the car is a daily driver, but will not be driven in snow (my wife will probably take my land rover to work) and is parked in a driveway under trees. Probably the worst combination you could ever for a soft top, but she loves it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Can I remove the clear film that is under the top wings ?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardie View Post
Can I remove the clear film that is under the top wings ?
Yes

https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f...tectors-53329/

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > Car Care and Detailing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in