Tips for repair/wetsanding near edges - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Car Care and Detailing Forum Discussion of detailing and car care products and techniques.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Tips for repair/wetsanding near edges

Sorry for these blurry photos, but they show the areas that I damaged trying to get my [email protected]#$ ^$#@%% tail light assembly out so I could change the #%@!ing bulb. The lumpy paint isn't apparent from the photos, but it's definitely there. I don't really want to talk about how this got away from me and how the damage happened, just what it's going to take to fix this.

I took a chunk of paint out of both the upper corner and put a gouge in the lower left corner. I've since cleaned them and put on some touch-up paint, but it looks terrible. I looked into buying a new Opel GT bumper cover (I even found one in the right color, but I have no idea what kind of condition the paint is in) but it looks like I'll also need to buy new wheelhouses to go with it because of the shape of the bumper, and I'm not really in the mood to deal with all of that.

So, I'm going to have to try and wet sand these down to make them blend better, but of course they're in the worst possible spots for wet sanding, right on the edges. Any tips for doing this, what to sand with, what products to use to clean up the surface after I sand, etc. would be appreciated. If I can't get this fixed up decently myself, I'm going to have to bring it to the paint shop and get them to respray the whole thing, which is going to be really awful because the color probably isn't going to match perfectly.

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 05:57 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Let it be.

Ahhh, that'll buff right out.

That glitch is so tiny no one will notice it but you.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
I see what you did there...

You're probably right, no one will notice it but me, but it still bothers me and I want it corrected. It does look quite a bit worse than it does in the blurry photos, but I think with some very careful wet sanding and polishing it might look a lot better. The main concern I have is going too far with it and then having to get the whole bumper resprayed. If this weren't on such a delicate corner, I wouldn't be nearly as concerned with messing it up.

If it were possible to just have the bumper resprayed and have it be perfect, I'd have already taken it to the shop. But, no matter how much money you throw at it, the color and finish never match quite right with a respray. When I had the lower front lip repainted, it came out well, but the color is just a little off...but that is low enough down on the car that it doesn't bother me. With this, I'll be able to see it all the time and it will drive me (more) crazy. I'm really pedantic about these things.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > Car Care and Detailing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in