Top Help! AND Touch Up Cleaner Help! - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Car Care and Detailing Forum Discussion of detailing and car care products and techniques.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
For the Canadians here, I buy all my stuff at eShine Canada, Car, Wax, Polish, Polisher, Tire Dressings, Detailing Supplies, RV, Truck, Boat, Automotive, upholstery, marine, convertible, Microfiber. Chris is awesome to deal with and his prices are great?

Way cheaper than shipping from the US.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
THAT is great tip, I bet it also saves on wasting the product, especially from over spray...GREAT idea i will incorporate.. Or at least try it..
Thanks!

Yah, I found applying it with the spray bottle only works well in the middle of the top. Towards the edges, I tried using a foam paintbrush, and it worked great, and have used it since.

Here's a pic of what my top looks like every time it rains. After a while, the water will eventually seep in, but it always looks like this when it first starts raining. I apply 303 twice a year.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
As mentioned by others, there are a couple of concerns when treating the top.

The principal failure mode is exposure to sunlight which breaks down the fabric at the molecular level. UV protection is the first thing you should be looking for if you love your top.

Second is the rest of the environment. The canvas material is actually made up of several layers. One of the layers is nearly impervious to water. It is what keeps the water out of the car. Beading is an interesting and some would say attractive side effect of treating the top but the real reason you treat the top after UV and why you like beading is because another failure mode for the canvas is friction. If your canvas is exposed to a lot of fine dirt or worse rock dust, and that dirt / dust gets carried into the weave of the fabric, then it can act to mechanically damage the structural integrity of the canvas weave. The more you keep dust and dirt out of the weave, the less chance for mechanical wear.

This has been hashed out in the past

Here is what I was told by the guy who owns the company and made the canvas for out tops. We shared a telecom as well but I am not at liberty to share that with you.

"I got this response from Haartz

Hi Rob,

Thanks for contacting The Haartz Corporation.

In reply to your inquiry about the RaggTopp Cleaner and Protectant system, Haartz continuously studies the market and internally evaluates various products for performance. The below bullet points are a overview.

• Comparison testing according to proprietary internal Haartz soiling/cleaning methodology has shown Raggtopp to be among the best cleaners on the market.
• RaggTopp protectant has been shown to offer comparable spray rating performance when tested according to AATCC Test Method #22.
o The above has been achieved without the use of silicone in the protectant.
• The formulations of the RaggTopp cleaner and protectant have been shown to have no negative effects upon the long-term durability of the topcover. Both avoid the use of organic solvents that can damage the fabrics and combining layers between.
• RaggTopp cleaner & protectant have also been shown to have no negative effect upon materials adjacent to the convertible top (plastic/glass window, paint, etc.)

I hope that you find this information of value.

Best Regards,
Douglas Haartz
THE HAARTZ CORPORATION

If you want to read the entire thread from 2007 here it is.

Draw your own conclusion. I have not dog in this race, but am interested that when people make a decision it is an informed decision.

RaggTopp vs. 303 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 05:30 PM

Another vote for Zaino, best products I've ever used!
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
There are several products that are very good...The decision will be the users.. I will continue to use RaffTop probably, it'll depend on the price vs 303...AND the RT sealant comes in a spray can, which eliminates the use of a brush...I at least have the hand gun for it, still...doing it twice a year or more in my environment (South Florida heat, humidity and rain) I think is a must, especially being outside everyday, parked outside always, and a DD, my top takes a beating everyday IMO..
It can get expensive.. AND work!!!!

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama

Last edited by MidniteBlues; 07-30-2012 at 05:45 PM.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 12:41 PM

Just purchased my '07 Sky in May. Absolutely love it. It is silver pearl with black top
and interior. I appreciate all the detail comments. Will purchase the Raggtop product.
I live in northern New Hampshire and do not have a garage at this time. Need all the
protection I can get. Any other advise will be appreciated. Thanks!

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > Car Care and Detailing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in