Touchless Car Washes - The Good and the Bad - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Car Care and Detailing Forum Discussion of detailing and car care products and techniques.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckySky View Post
I washed my car yesterday and I can already see the green haze of pollen a mile away...
Around here it takes less than fifteen minutes after a wash or detail until I can see it on the car. In fact, since I have to wash in sections, by the time I finish the final section, the first section already has a film.

Suffice to say, I don't wash when pollen is high due to diminishing return. My basic pollen clean routine is to keep the vehicle out of the rain (rain plus pollen equals yellow goo) and use the California duster daily before covering. I might do some quick detail here and there.

Of note, pollen sticks very well. Even a very high powered leaf blower won't budge the bottom film. Pollen has microscopic burrs that I hypothesis wedges themselves into the wax for a good stick. A California duster works because it lifts the pollen.

2008 Redline Auto
Born 7/20/07
Snagged 8/31/07
Released 8/8/15
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Junkman, you are a piece of work.........

I happen to WHOLE HEARTILY agree with you.

I believe you left out the fact that in MANY area's of the country the car WARSHES (Jk) have to Recycle the water! So then they high pressure the very fine particles of dirt and recycled water, at your paint, like a sandblaster.

Anyone that does not wash their own car, better have a good excuse, like "I live in an apartment and have no hose".

Also, the more you wash the car, the worse your paint will look over time. Best Scenerio........Wash, then drive, then detail spray, then cover, then drive, then detail spray, then cover. (not possible for those with no garage).

I have 13,540 miles on my 07 SKY and only washed the car about 6 or 7 times. I use a very expensive super soft microfiber and good detail spray to LIGHTLY take dust off. I never drive in rain or snow. My paint is like the day I picked her up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedred View Post
Mother always told me never to pay more than $40 for a rimjob.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post

Yep, that's my color!

Hey, do you folks do any meets here in Kentucky?
Hey Junkman2008, I just realized you were a fellow Kentuckian! I know that JRinKY and KYGXP organize some very good meets in the Frankfort/Lexington area. The last one we had here in Louisville was organized by KOOBIE and KYGXP. It was held last year on THUNDER Day so I couldn't go. (Can't miss that airshow for nothing!) I wish we could get someone to organize another one hint...hint. Anyone?...anyone?

Judi
2008 Red Line
Midnight Blue
Automatic

Last edited by KentuckySky; 04-15-2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: I can't spell...
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 01:22 PM

WOW! The pics of the red car are dead on. We were at Adam's Polishes last weekend and Adam showed my the same thing on my own car. After a few minutes with the swirl and haze remover I realized EXACTLY how bad my black Sky was. You might think it looks good, but it ain't allot of the time. Great post.

2008 Saturn Sky Redline
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwing View Post

Black cars are a pain in the azz. They look great when they are clean, but they are never really clean for long.

... dust is like rust ... it never sleeps

'08 Triple Black Onyx R/L
2.0 Turbo: stik-shift
3"MAGNAFLOW: quad tips
SOLO: Hi-Flo Cat
EIBACH: Pro-Kit
TRIFECTA'd
"4 Wheels moves the body - 2 Wheels moves the Soul"
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 11:24 PM

Adam was at Tonkins Acura today. He was doing A demonstration of his products. I received an invitation by email from Adams so I drove down from Seattle to attend. I was impressed. I bought the Porter Cable buffer and some other products I do not yet have from previous orders. He spoke well of the Sky event at his place. He actually said the Sky club was as concerned about their cars as the Vette club. He offered to look at my pick up which is what I need to do the most work on. It was across the street as we had the RV in tow. There was no reason for him to go over and look at it as the cars he was working on were worse off than my truck. It was real nice of him to offer to show me how to do it on my truck but what I saw on the cars that were there was going to make the truck easy. After I left I thought of some other things I should have gotten. I guess I will be placing another order soon. You learn A lot more watching in person. For one thing you can ask questions. I was not sure I could do it from the videos. Now if I can find some time.

2008 2.4 AUTO MIDNGT BLUE BLK TOP BLK LTHR gone but not forgotten.
2008 Vette Jetstream Blue
2003 Silverado Arrival Blue
1998 Vette Black
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURAMAX View Post
Adam was at Tonkins Acura today. He was doing A demonstration of his products. I received an invitation by email from Adams so I drove down from Seattle to attend. I was impressed. I bought the Porter Cable buffer and some other products I do not yet have from previous orders. He spoke well of the Sky event at his place. He actually said the Sky club was as concerned about their cars as the Vette club. He offered to look at my pick up which is what I need to do the most work on. It was across the street as we had the RV in tow. There was no reason for him to go over and look at it as the cars he was working on were worse off than my truck. It was real nice of him to offer to show me how to do it on my truck but what I saw on the cars that were there was going to make the truck easy. After I left I thought of some other things I should have gotten. I guess I will be placing another order soon. You learn A lot more watching in person. For one thing you can ask questions. I was not sure I could do it from the videos. Now if I can find some time.
I myself am about to purchase the Porter Cable buffer kit...
Adam's Complete Dual-Action Car Polisher Kit

I have never machine detailed a car before, but have done many hand jobs in my time , looks like this may be the best "fool proof" (as stated) route to go for a rookie at hand held orbital detailing.

Junkman: would love to see a basic detailing tutorial video for begginers (do's & don'ts etc.)
the above kit looks to be ideal for the begginer?

'08 Triple Black Onyx R/L
2.0 Turbo: stik-shift
3"MAGNAFLOW: quad tips
SOLO: Hi-Flo Cat
EIBACH: Pro-Kit
TRIFECTA'd
"4 Wheels moves the body - 2 Wheels moves the Soul"
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 10:49 PM

Adams has A DVD that is free when you place an order. Most of what he said and showed is on that DVD or Junkmans videos. I think watching both was useful as they explain it in different ways. I picked up good stuff from each. The one thing Adam did at the clinic was to put A line with A sharpie on the top of the backing plate so you could see that it was orbiting and not spinning. He said spinning was bad. You need to push down enough so it wont spin. The main thing I wanted was to see it done to decide if I could do it. I think for the most part I knew how from the videos. He also explained the difference with his system from some others. His polishes have no abrasives. The abrasive is the pad. Thats why you need to use the correct pad. He also showed how to fix scratches with the 4" drill mounted pad set. I already had that as its what he recommended for getting water spots off the glass. See his video on the glass sealant. I have not had time to use that either. That set and swirl remover works wonder on headlights. He showed that too.

1998 Vette Black
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewlkr8 View Post
I myself am about to purchase the Porter Cable buffer kit...
Adam's Complete Dual-Action Car Polisher Kit

I have never machine detailed a car before, but have done many hand jobs in my time , looks like this may be the best "fool proof" (as stated) route to go for a rookie at hand held orbital detailing.

Junkman: would love to see a basic detailing tutorial video for begginers (do's & don'ts etc.)
the above kit looks to be ideal for the begginer?
Hey Junkman, I'm with kewlkr8 here, I really know nothing about detailing a car and would love a basic tutorial for beginners (if you don't already have one). Also any advice for those of us on an extremely tight budget (i.e. my $15 dual-action buffer from auto zone is almost too expensive for me right now, let alone the $300 Adams kit...).

2007 Sky RedLine - midnight blue
Illuminated WindRestrictor
8.9s on 1/8-mile

2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250
60mpg
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 10:41 PM

I have one of those cheap buffers. They do more harm than good. UH forget the good.

1998 Vette Black
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRahl007 View Post
Hey Junkman, I'm with kewlkr8 here, I really know nothing about detailing a car and would love a basic tutorial for beginners (if you don't already have one). Also any advice for those of us on an extremely tight budget (i.e. my $15 dual-action buffer from auto zone is almost too expensive for me right now, let alone the $300 Adams kit...).
Do a Search for threads started by Junkman. The tutorials are here somewhere!

"Black Bart"
2008 Onyx Black Redline with Black Convertible Top
5 Speed Stick
Single Disk Monsoon Sound
Black Interior with Black Leather Seats
GM MB-222 Chrome "Snowflake" Wheels
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 11:39 PM

adams forums.com

1998 Vette Black
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 AM

I never use touchless car washes. Normally, if the car is more than just matter, I go to the coin was on the bottom and clean coarse sand, etc. so that works better than the water hose to get home. After I bucket of car wax at home, because there is less chance of scratching the rough stuff is gone.
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve Parker View Post
I never use touchless car washes. Normally, if the car is more than just matter, I go to the coin was on the bottom and clean coarse sand, etc. so that works better than the water hose to get home. After I bucket of car wax at home, because there is less chance of scratching the rough stuff is gone.
Try again. This time in English.

"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Try again. This time in English.
Hey Junkman it's good seeing you back again, how your doing?
Any good do-it-yourself video's for us? I miss your vids!

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > Car Care and Detailing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in