What color are the plastic bumpers? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Car Care and Detailing Forum Discussion of detailing and car care products and techniques.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
What color are the plastic bumpers?

I know, an odd question...

A while back I had a little oops (my high + stock mirror mounting point = major front left blind spot)...

My front bumper met the plastic wheel cover of the other car. Side story: It's funny how a cheap plastic Honda hub cap (the only part hit/damaged) costs so much I would even bet they never even changed out the hub cap let alone got an alignment or whatever else they bilked my insurance out of.

anyway...

The hub cap was silver/gray and it LOOKS like it left paint on my bumper.

The edges of the scrape are not that rough over most of the boo boo. There are some places where I can feel the edge where it was scratched.

Anyway... since it is already messed up and I don't have the cash to fix it at the moment, I figured I may try to use some rubbing compund and see if I can get that junk off of there.

Before I even attempt it, if anyone knows what color our raw plastic panels are... I dont want to end up rubbing and buffing what may be raw plastic already.

Here's a pic... don't mind the bugs and sorry about the low light, but actually I think the flash shows that it is more the silver gray paint from the hub cap. I am kind of excited to try and clean this junk off now.

Does that look more like it left paint on my bumper vs scraping off my paint? I didn't see any black left on the hub cap. We actually had a hard time spotting where it hit.
________
Ship sale

Last edited by Nova-Exarch; 04-25-2011 at 07:40 AM.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It looks like paint deposit to me. You should be able to confirm by carefully testing on the edge of the deposit with some cut/polish cream and/or pure cut/rubbing compound. Don't use the damn buffer, just take a little bit on a rag and go at it by hand. If that is paint deposit, the edges will be very thin and you should see an immediate lifting of the paint with just a little bit of work. If it is paint then just work your way in towards the heavier deposit from the the edge. Be careful not to blow through the factory clear coat just below the deposited Honda paint.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
This may sound weird, but I know of someone who suggested WD-40 would lift off the paint without removing the original paint. I have only tried this on my boat but never on any of my cars. It did work on the boat. Come to think of it I may have used it on my motor home also. Try a small section first to see if it will work.

efbrodiesr
2008 2.4
Silver Pearl
Red Leather interior
Black top
Automatic
No modifications
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova-Exarch View Post
Before I even attempt it, if anyone knows what color our raw plastic panels are... I dont want to end up rubbing and buffing what may be raw plastic already.
Sorry about your hurt......
The color of the Poly-Urethane bumper under your original car color is black......
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Nothing like a little thread CPR...

--

Never tried the WD40.

Polishing compound (Turtle Wax) worked somewhat... The rubbing compound (also Turtle Wax) really got the job done. Then I went back over it with the polishing compound.

All the paint transfer was removed. There are a few deep scratches/gouges (hard to see unless you are very close), and one spot right above turn signal/mesh grille where the surface was scratched down to the actual plastic underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clean bumper.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	41152  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
IMHO Meguires Ultimate compound is the absolute best at bringing shine bac and removing surface scratches.

From 1500 grit sanded to polished with Meguires.

Jim

PS Can you believe this paint was ROLLED on with a roller, and it was Rustoleum?

One can not hide from karma!

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > Car Care and Detailing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in