08 Redline Radiator Fan trouble shooting - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
08 Redline Radiator Fan trouble shooting

Hey guys!

As I have dug through the forums here and around the web, I am posting this and hoping I haven't missed a previous resolution to this problem. I have owned an '08 Redline for about 3 years now. Since the day I bought it, the radiator fan has never worked. As you can guess, this makes for some nerve racking drives in rush hour traffic. When the car is in motion (anything above 30mph), my coolant temps range from 194-199. Whenever I stop/slowly move for any extended amount of time, my coolant temps rise steadily and when not kept in check, will eventually trigger the overheat light and chime. I might also mention that my air conditioning does not work unless the car is moving (wind turning the radiator blades.) If the A/C is left on for a few minutes at idle, fog will eventually come out of the vents. I have had the fan tested by direct connecting to the battery and it is functional. From what I can gather from my extensive searching, this issue is caused by a faulty "Fan Control Module." Though I have searched, I have not been able to find any reference to the part or its part number on the web. Has anyone had the same issue or can you provide me with the part number for the "fan control module?" Can the module only be replaced by purchasing the entire shroud assembly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 10:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Garnerway
Check fuse #1.
If you have jumped it off or used it to jump someone else off it will be blown and have the exact results you are experiencing. Ask me how I know. LOL

2008 Redline
Techno Grey
54,000 miles
2007 Fusion (Grandkid transport)
2012 Mustang (Pony car)
2000 Mustang (Daily driver, work car)
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnerway View Post
Check fuse #1.
If you have jumped it off or used it to jump someone else off it will be blown and have the exact results you are experiencing. Ask me how I know. LOL
Thanks for the feedback...I will give this a go in the morning. It would be insanely awesome if this is the fix for me! Will update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
If not what Garnerway is suggesting, the control module is part of the fan assembly - not available separately.

Darned expensive though, GM part 19130227:

ENGINE COOLANT FAN. Fits: 2008 Pontiac Solstice TURBO 2 DR CONVERTIBLE | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick

Assembly 1 here (ignore the breakdown of parts, again, you can't buy them on their own):

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...

Last edited by TomatoSoup; 05-20-2014 at 11:05 PM.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Another way to test if you are getting power to the fan controller is to use a test lamp and see if you have power on the outer stud on the under hood fuse block. The one with the red cover to the motor side is the battery. use the test lamp on the one nearest the fender, you will have to pull the top off of the fuse block to access it. If you have power at the fuse and none at that post you could have a fuse block problem. It may also require you to have the ignition key in the "on" position to test it

Just in case you don't know the 2.4 engine has a different fan and will not work with the 2.0 engine.

Last edited by Hoosier GXP; 05-20-2014 at 11:20 PM.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Sadly, the fuse was not the issue, but for $5 it was definitely worth a shot. I read on the Solstice Forum (that coincidentally enough, HoosierGXP had assisted with as well) that there were folks on the forums that had extra controllers. The author of that thread was lucky enough to find one, so here goes a shot in the dark...Anyone have an extra fan control module they'd wanna part with? It is annoying me to no end that you can't just buy the controller haha
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 11:55 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Welcome to the furum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3TALLUM View Post

I have owned an '08 Redline for about 3 years now.

Since the day I bought it the radiator fan has never worked.

Can't imagine that you haven't blown something before now.
Were you one of Santa's helpers up at the North Pole?
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 06:07 AM

The fan is set to come on at around 225 deg. I have never even got close to that and my fan has never had to kick on. Your car is fine.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenhotrod1 View Post
The fan is set to come on at around 225 deg. I have never even got close to that and my fan has never had to kick on. Your car is fine.
I wish this were the case but my fan doesn't come on at 225 or 250 for that matter or when the A/C is turned on.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 07:59 AM

Have you disconnected the plug from the fan controller, and with a test lamp, seen if you have power to that point. The fan kicks on by a signal to the controller, so there should always be power at that plug. Don't discount that the fan motor it's self can be bad. I am not sure if you can "force" the fan to work by bypassing the controller but if I get a chance today I will try it on a 2.4 fan motor that I have. I did have a controller for a 2.0 but I sold it to another member here on the forum who was having a similar problem.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 10:09 AM

It is possible to force start the fan. Verify that you have power and ground to your jumper. remove plug from controller. Inside you will see 3 pins the center pin is the signal pin don't connect anything to it. Look at the plug or the back side of the wiring on the controller you will see the wiring entering there. The red is the hot and black is the ground. Again, "DON"T" connect anything to the center pin that could damage the controller. The fan should run with the hot and ground wires making contact. You can try also to get your power and ground right from the plug you removed this will verify that you have power and ground to that point.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Hoosier...thanks for the reply and your assistance! I will give this a go after work!
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3TALLUM View Post
Hey guys!

As I have dug through the forums here and around the web, I am posting this and hoping I haven't missed a previous resolution to this problem. I have owned an '08 Redline for about 3 years now. Since the day I bought it, the radiator fan has never worked. As you can guess, this makes for some nerve racking drives in rush hour traffic. When the car is in motion (anything above 30mph), my coolant temps range from 194-199. Whenever I stop/slowly move for any extended amount of time, my coolant temps rise steadily and when not kept in check, will eventually trigger the overheat light and chime. I might also mention that my air conditioning does not work unless the car is moving (wind turning the radiator blades.) If the A/C is left on for a few minutes at idle, fog will eventually come out of the vents. I have had the fan tested by direct connecting to the battery and it is functional. From what I can gather from my extensive searching, this issue is caused by a faulty "Fan Control Module." Though I have searched, I have not been able to find any reference to the part or its part number on the web. Has anyone had the same issue or can you provide me with the part number for the "fan control module?" Can the module only be replaced by purchasing the entire shroud assembly?
I've dealt with this exact issue. The dealer replaced the ECM under emissions warranty along with the fan control module and that fixed it. The fan control module I believe is attached to the fan, so when you buy a new fan, you get a new module. I tried looking for that little piece by itself and I could never find it.

2008 Infiniti G37S Coupe 6MT - 58k - Megan Axle Back

2007 Sky Red Line 5-Speed - 79k - Light mods

2006 Saturn Vue 5-Speed - 103.4k
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koobie View Post
The fan control module I believe is attached to the fan, so when you buy a new fan, you get a new module. I tried looking for that little piece by itself and I could never find it.
Correct. You need the whole fan shroud, blade, motor and controller. Again, NallyGMC is your friend. GM Part# 19130227 (~$330).

Assembly #1 here: ENGINE COOLANT FAN. Fits: Sky, Solstice | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick (You CANNOT buy part#9 on it's own.)

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenhotrod1 View Post
STOCK radiator fan duty cycle is 0% at 195*F, 15% at 199*F, 50%@210*, [email protected] and beyond.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in