Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/)
-   Technical Saturn Sky Discussion (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   2007 Sky harness options (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f5/2007-sky-harness-options-95823/)

hahnpv 06-26-2019 09:46 AM

2007 Sky harness options

2 Attachment(s)
I have a 2007 Sky (base). The passenger side wheel abraded through the plastic wheel compartment and messed up the engine harness which is pinned to the other side of the compartment. Two harnesses have exposed (but still shielded) wires and one of the harness connectors is now melted to itself. I discovered this after hearing a whump-whump-whump on the way home from work which felt like a bearing about to go, but was suddenly onset. At home I jacked the car up discovered the issue and the engine no longer started.

I removed the bracket and teased the wires apart and when twisted just right the car starts, but obviously there is an intermittent connection in the harness.

TL;DR: my question is for a 2007 Sky, are the engine harnesses interchangeable with the Solstice? And if so, for what model years?

thanks,
philip

marlboromike 06-26-2019 10:21 AM

They probably are....but the wiring colors may be different. Make sure it is for identical years just as a cautionary note. I know the colors may be different from working on both cars.

This does not affect you but the wiring harness for a factory xm radio is different for those cars without...GM was cheap and did not fit their cars with the extras

hahnpv 06-26-2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marlboromike (Post 1301253)
They probably are....but the wiring colors may be different. Make sure it is for identical years just as a cautionary note. I know the colors may be different from working on both cars.

This does not affect you but the wiring harness for a factory xm radio is different for those cars without...GM was cheap and did not fit their cars with the extras

Thanks. Do you know if an '08/'09 saturn would interchange with an '07?

And if anyone in northern AL / southern TN knows of some in a junkyard let me know, I'll start calling after work...

JohnWR 06-26-2019 11:46 AM

Most of the harness is interchangeable between the cars, most of the time, and with some obvious exceptions.

Some lighting is different between Solstice and Sky, so the headlight/taillight harnesses may differ.
The NA (Base) and RL/GXP have different harnesses.
Some years of the RL/GXP had a vacuum pump that other years do not.
Different options will have different harnesses, for eample: OnStar, power windows/locks, radio levels, etc.
Engine harnesses will be the same for Solstice and Sky, but there was a running change in ECM between 2007 and 2008, at which point both harnesses changed.

There may be other exceptions that I have missed, but someone is likely to speak up.

hahnpv 06-26-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnWR (Post 1301269)
Most of the harness is interchangeable between the cars, most of the time, and with some obvious exceptions.

Some lighting is different between Solstice and Sky, so the headlight/taillight harnesses may differ.
Different options will have different harnesses, for eample: OnStar, power windows/locks, radio levels, etc.
Engine harnesses for all NA should be the same for Solstice and Sky and all years.

There may be other exceptions that I have missed, but someone is likely to speak up.

Thank you!

marlboromike 06-26-2019 02:32 PM

Quote:

Engine harnesses for all NA should be the same for Solstice and Sky and all years.

I am SPEECHLESS :grin:

Robotech 06-26-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

I do not believe that's true. The issue isn't so much the engine harness, but the ECU. 2006-7 LE5 2.4 equipped Kappas have a different ECU from 2008+ LE5s. @skersfan is making one good Sky out of two 2.4 automatic Bluestone Skys with tan interiors and tops. One is a 2007 and one is a 2008. The engine harness and ECM are different on the two cars. He is using the 2007 unit and I have some issues on my 2007 harness and was just going to swap it for the 2008 harness but found out we cannot.

JohnWR 06-26-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robotech (Post 1301313)
I do not believe that's true. ........

You are correct, and I even knew that. Hence my disclaimer, since my memory is not nearly as good as I want it to be. And I edited my post. Thanks!

Robotech 06-26-2019 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnWR (Post 1301319)
You are correct, and I even knew that. Hence my disclaimer, since my memory is not nearly as good as I want it to be. And I edited my post. Thanks!

LOL I do it all the time. So much stuff coming in and my aging brain can't sort it all like it use to.

I want to say that the change in the ECM coincided with the Redline's Traction control. I'm not sure if that was it or not but I seem to recall (see above disclaimer) that the earlier ECMs found in the 2006-7 NAs didn't play well with the traction control GM was putting in the car and that the updated ECMs worked with the traction control systems.

But I may have that totally off.

The_Ghost 06-26-2019 09:02 PM

NO!!! Harnesses are specific to NA and GXP. And an '07 will not work on an '08 or '09 and vice versa. Just like the ECM!! You are stuck buying an '07 harness. If I remember correctly the wiring was completely different from '07 to '08 and '09.

Hoosier GXP 06-26-2019 09:30 PM

If this is the engine wiring harness then the NA and turbo are different but the harness for a 07 -09 Sky turbo is the same as a 07-09 Solstice turbo if they have a Bosch ECM. This harness will work on a 08 you would just ignore the air pump connectors on the 08 because they don't have the pump. The ECM does come into play if it is a Delco ECM then you will need a harness that will connect to that ECM. Late 07 models and all after had Bosch ECM's in the turbo cars. The same is true for the the 2.4 engine except in the case of the Delco ECM in the early models.

skersfan 06-26-2019 09:57 PM

I have a late production 2007 Redline. Same as the 2008 run. I have an ECM out of a 2009 GXP that fits my 2007 according the ECM experts. Just depends on when the car was made. So your home and safe I see!!!!! Fun trip sir.