Bleeded the cooling system today. - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Kjelle69
  • 1 Post By Kjelle69
  • 2 Post By LAC Sky
  • 1 Post By Sky_Pilot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Bleeded the cooling system today.

Used a small compressor to bleed the system today because we installed the GM check valves.
Went on a trip with varied driving and the temperature stayed between 204-212F (96-100C)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190420_143618.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	570.0 KB
ID:	104863  
a280z likes this.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjelle69 View Post
Used a small compressor to bleed the system today because we installed the GM check valves.
Went on a trip with varied driving and the temperature stayed between 204-212F (96-100C)
What did you use the compressor for?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I used the compressor to pressurise the expansion tank to make the coolant flow through the system and thus pushing the air out.
You could clearly see that there was air purging out at first but after a while there was a asteady flow of collant without bubbles in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copdriver91 View Post
What did you use the compressor for?
Robert Neighbours likes this.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Garage
Good that you did this now. Being that this is being done in April, and not July/Aug. summer heat temps.
At what mileage is your car at now? OEM WP?

Coolant Fluid over 5 years old usage wise in our coolant system, with our known failures of the WP in this model, it is recommended to change it out. The DYI method or by the dealer. With your solution using the compressor, I think it eliminates the " burping " of the system. The upgrade to your car's system is the check valves.

Every car is different, even though it is the same model, more or less. In my car the temps outside and the motor temps, in driving conditions vary. 194-205 is my base line. Hwy. cruise control run, to the twisty run-n-fun, city stop-n-go stop light, construction/accident delay's, mid-night blast hammer down my temps never have gone above 214 degree's tops. April temps here now are getting into the 70's plus. July/Aug. could be 95 outside round here. I have found that my temp changes in the DIC, vary by 2 degrees. With the A/C on, low fan speed 1, the climate control on full cold setting, my temps rise above 205 sometimes. Changing the climate control/fan speeds to other positions effects it again temp wise in the DIC. When the A/C is off, with same fan speed of 1, my temps stay at 205. No fan speed on the temps might be 198-201. I have gotten to as low as 186 before, cold morning hwy. blast on the interstate. Your results/temps will vary from mine.

Some of our owners stay in the 184-199 range, some run hotter 194-205, and some... above that. You now have a base line to work with after this coolant flush/check valve, in different driving conditions, with engine temps to work with. Something to keep an eye on, from this mileage point going forward in your ownership/car history/maintenance records.

Check the expansion tank fluid level on a regular basis. Bout to do mine today matter of fact. Check for leaks under the car. Our cars can have the thermostat stick partly open/close that could effect your temps. Check if you can, your radiator, for anything that might be there. You never know until you look close.

With the RL model inspect the IC on occasion too. Can't hurt none to look in it on a regular basis, before.. you mash the right foot down. Bout to look at mine too. Last October was my last close inspection/clean/tighten a few bolt heads. Before I head out on a long day cruise or weekend get away from home, day or two spent on the mechanical systems look over, another day for clean up show-n-shine look, then the last minute fill up to the tank, an ATM withdraw later and we're off to Permagrinland…

Keep an eye on your temps in the DIC as the weather outside is changing too here for me, and in your location too. Any change to your engine temps DIC later when it's hot as hell outside, of the train of thought what has changed and why? Stuck thermostat? Low coolant level? Weeping WP? Hose clamp loose drip?

204-212 is your base line here... IF anything changes above those engine temps later? Yes the outside temps in July/Aug will drive up your engine temps some. The replacement of WP & thermostat, hoses & belts, clamps can be depending on your current mileage..."expensive" so I've heard around here on the forum from other members. One of the top expenses imo on our model. Motor, Top, Body parts.. it does add up big time $$$ in our car depending on your current condition mileage/maintenance done or lack there of from the previous owner or lack of funds available.

Sorry for the long drawn out post here forum members. Almost Robo lol like in it's length. It IS.. a very nice day here. You know what that means? Little morning work/clean on the ride, then drop the top down low this afternoon, run around town. Off to Summit Point this weekend. SCAA National GT 1 this time. Ye Ha Big Bore growl... Miata this. Almost Go-Pro time too. This May for a "run or two", something to add to You-Tube LAC Films site for the grandsons. My daughter tells me this past Easter morning, Hey Dad... that # 3 is on the way too. Oct. 1st more or less. Hell this G-Dad was just getting use to the newest one grandson #2... from last year! More trips on the interstate soon for me, checking my DIC temps as I go... to visit my every growing family!

An eye/maintenance done on your cars engine temps in the DIC now, could save your checkbook/Mastercard major damage later on maybe?

Safe travels...this driving season gang.

LAC
Kjelle69 and a280z like this.

Last edited by LAC Sky; 04-23-2019 at 07:59 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjelle69 View Post
Wow, mine stays between 183 and 200, with the 200 in fairly warm weather going up the 6% grade toll road in the late afternoon. (I have 21,000 on my drive-train and cooling system)
Kjelle69 likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Garage
Little follow up post on my DIC engine temps, after my run around town yesterday fwiw.

Spent the better part of yesterday morning going over things in the engine bay. Engine coolant expansion tank level... right where it should be.
No signs of the chip monk on my intake manifold. That's a good thing. No nut husks or berries, the De-con crushed up dust I introduced to that area did not kill him per say but it drive him away,... for the time being. Power steering fluid was close to the mark, need to add just bit maybe. Checked the fuse box, re-seated a couple of fuses that looked suspect. Lubed up the bushings. Cleaned everything inside and out. Only thing I didn't do was stich a few thread seams to my top before I went out. Found something odd in the lower inside quarter panel below the expansion tank. I fished it out with a long thin screwdriver.

Beside the leaves that collect in this spot, which could block the drainage holes, I found an Mobil 1 cap top laying in there. Dealer tech must have drop it during my last oil change. You just never know what you will find, when hunting around on your car after a visit to the dealers.

My car at this point the odo reads, 43,250 miles of smiles. Still has the original WP & thermostat. Fluid has been changed out. No problems or leaks of any kind so far.. knock on wood. Temps remain within the base line figures.. 194-205. Highest temps I saw all day was 201. Easy cruising no hard driving.
No A/C on, no fan speed on... Climate control setting full on cold. Cool day no high heat or humidity of any kind. 79 is what they say the outside temp was yesterday.

Running around town in the afternoon doing my errands, the car did grab the masses attention. Saw a few Verts out and about enjoying the nice weather we are having in this region of the country right now. That will change as we head into May. I have not made my monthly run up to High Rock yet. Up hill grade, sometimes the transmission on these types of grades will increase engine temps, when under strain or stress. Again your results will vary here depend on your location, driving style, weather, roads, traffic conditions.

This weekend's run to Summit Point Motorsports Park will be of a more serious nature, pushing the car just abit Found a cool new road to drive on couple of days back, it might make my list for the "Back Country Roads of Washington County series" on LAC Films You-Tube site. Stopped for a bite to eat, at a place I hadn't been to in over a year. I heard a few people talking saying things like.. What is that car in the parking lot? I have never seen one like that before.

Drove it back, happy for nice day drive in the Sky. The people still love this car wherever I take it to.

* Sky-Pilot Wow, mine stays between 183 and 200: This what I was referring to. Your car runs cooler than mine does. Less miles on the odo than mine also.
The OP car runs hotter than both of ours. I think IIRC that the GM engineers said our car would/could run at a high than normal temp than other cars.
With the RL model I could see this, with the IC blocking some of the radiator intake, even though our cars bottom feed the radiator.

Anyways.. All is good for now. Time to increase the Permagrin factor to my face muscles as the weather gets better for all of us that own a Kappa.

LAC
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The mileage is 18500.
I dont think the pump has been changed.
Fluid looks like new, I think it has been changed during service.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in