Car wont start after many upgrades - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Car wont start after many upgrades

Hey Guys,

I've had my 2008 Sky Redline up on stands in my garage doing upgrades since October. I finally finished everything tonight and was ready for a preliminary test start.

Here is everything I Installed:

RPM Motorsports Cold Air Intake
RPM Motorsports Upgraded Larger Wheel Turbo
RPM Motorsports Intercooler
RPM Motorsports Cat Delete to Straight Down Pipe
DDM Works Oil Catch Can
DDM Works Front Venom Brace
DDM Works Upgraded Backbone
DDM Works Rear Suspension Brace

Currently I have the exhaust off post downpipe and only the upper O2 sensor attached

The car sputters for a few seconds then dies

The car shows a P0137 (O2 Circuit Low Voltage, Bank 1, Sensor 2)

With so many changes lately do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks

2008 Redline
Alpine ILX-107 with Rearview Camera
Upgraded RPM Turbo
Cat Delete
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
The experts are on their way; however from your write-up it sounds to me like you forgot to mention the battery has been idle for some three months! My guess is your battery is at fault. The forum has always said a bad battery will play all kinds of tricks with these cars. I would be looking at the battery for sure.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Update:

I installed my muffler and "After CAT" O2 sensor WITH Extender, and the car starts good but then sputters after a second. Not as bad as before, actually stays running now but is a very heavy sputter, not drivable.

I disconnected the battery and am charging that, so we will see if that does anything.

2008 Redline
Upgraded RPM Turbo
Cat Delete
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Garage
What did you do for a tune? While there isn't much there that should necessitate one, the big wheel might throw things off.

Still, the car should start and run. My best guess is a vac leak somewhere since you messed with a lot of items that could create one. Do you have a scanner? If so, seeing what O2 readings you're getting as well as what your MAP and MAF readings look like may help figure out if there is a vac leak of some sort.

Also, look how you have the catch can routed. We saw something like this on @skersfan's car and routing the lines back to stock off his catch can seemed to solve some of that issue.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Well removing and recharging the battery seemed to help a little. My guess is the car needed to find a new idle. There seems to be a knocking sound from the engine and the new turbo is smoking a lot. I think there is just some sort of chemical that needs to burn off the turbo is all, don't see any leaks. I'll Email Martin at RPM and see what he thinks. I'm running his standard tune, but with the changes a tune hopefully is all I'll need to get things in line.

2008 Redline
Upgraded RPM Turbo
Cat Delete
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I will tell you that smoke off the turbo is totally normal. I have RPM's big wheel turbo and when I first got it the same thing happened. Like you I figured it was something put on the turbo during the rebuild/rework burning off and confirmed with Martin that this was the case. It took probably 200-300 miles before it stopped completely but it gradually got less and less the more I drove it.

The knocking I'd be a bit concerned with. You need to see where that's coming from.

By changing so many things with the air flow of the engine (Intake, turbo, charge pipes, intercooler, downpipe, and exhaust) all at once you probably affected the amount of air that flows in and out of the engine. Our ECMs "learn" airflow patterns and the fueling required to achieve the proper air/fuel ratio over time. It is possible that what it had learned before was so far out from what the conditions were now that it caused those issues but I would still keep an eye on it because it shouldn't be so far out of whack to cause the engine not to run.

Drive it a bit and see how it is after a little while. Also, and I cannot stress this enough, after a couple heat cycles on the turbo (cold start, drive for about 40 miles, cool down completely is one cycle) you will want to check the nuts that hold the turbo to the exhaust manifold. They WILL loosen up some after the initial installation and will need to be re-torqued to spec after those couple cycles. Once that's done though, you should be golden. No one mentioned this little factoid to me...a few weeks after install I had an issue with the car running funky and this was the issue. Didn't get it resolved until I pulled the turbo to put the new one on and found part of the gasket burned through.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks as always Robotech!!! I don't want to let the car run because the knocking sound is pretty bad. Good to know about the turbo smoke. Makes me feel better about that part at least. I looked through all my vacuum lines and everything looks just like stock. I'll update the thread after I hear from Martin.

2008 Redline
Upgraded RPM Turbo
Cat Delete
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Don't be insulted, I have known of this to happen to good mechanics:

You didn't drain the oil in October with intent to change it, but forgot to refill it, did you?

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

No insult, I welcome any ideas.

I just did a complete oil change before attempting to start. Oil is clean and full.

2008 Redline
Upgraded RPM Turbo
Cat Delete
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think the problem is a vacuum leak, check all the vacuum lines

~ssky~
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Interesting

Waiting to learn...

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:44 AM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Garage
I wish you luck, I went thru the same thing, or started it last January. I still have a car that does not run right, does the craziest things and at times sounds like the rods are hanging out the side of the block.

I am thinking about PAW doing a big wheel change for me, but I don't want to go thru what I have been thru again. May just pull all the junk and go back to stock. A little faster is not worth the worry of it coming apart at any second. We are going to scan mine again this weekend I think. If it isn't figured out by this last tune/scan I am done with it. Thousands of dollars to take a perfect car into to a ticking time bomb is about the dumbest thing I have ever done,
44thSKY likes this.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
I wish you luck, I went thru the same thing, or started it last January. I still have a car that does not run right, does the craziest things and at times sounds like the rods are hanging out the side of the block.

I am thinking about PAW doing a big wheel change for me, but I don't want to go thru what I have been thru again. May just pull all the junk and go back to stock. A little faster is not worth the worry of it coming apart at any second. We are going to scan mine again this weekend I think. If it isn't figured out by this last tune/scan I am done with it. Thousands of dollars to take a perfect car into to a ticking time bomb is about the dumbest thing I have ever done,
Which reminds me, maybe tomorrow when I come up to get the turbine housing we can do some scans.
@Dabman, no problem and definitely see what Martin thinks about that knocking. Knocking usually is a bad thing but you want to try and focus on where it's coming from because that will possibly narrow down what's causing it. Could be a bad belt tensioner, could be a bad bearing, could be something else all together.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Last edited by Robotech; 01-18-2019 at 11:44 AM.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Garage
I am planning on it Robo. Do have a train meeting at 1030 I think. But can miss it if necessary.
Robotech likes this.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

A question for everyone:

Does our K04 Turbo drain its oil passively?

I'll be honest with you guys, this is my first turbo swap and I'm not going by any instructions or knowledge besides what I find online.

I did not prime the turbo with oil before I attempted a start.

I spent the last week wondering if I just destroyed this new turbo. I work 13 hour days so this last hour is the first time I have gotten to look at the car.

I took the air intake off and spun the turbo wheel manually and do not hear any grinding or scraping or anything and it seems to spin freely.

I removed the oil feed line bolt on top and the thing is filled with oil. I had a syringe of new oil ready but the turbo wouldn't take anymore without overflowing.

Does the oil only fill and drain when the engine is running? Or should I be able to add oil while manually spinning the turbine and have it drain?

2008 Redline
Upgraded RPM Turbo
Cat Delete

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in