crank position sensor - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
crank position sensor

I got a check engine crank position sensor code yesterday for my 2008 RedLine. When the check engine lamp first illuminated, I also received a "reduced engine power" warning for a few minutes. I turned the engine off, waited a few minutes and started up again. The check engine lamp was still on but no "reduced engine power" warning was given. I drove home--45 miles--with no problem. The check engine lamp was on continuously.

This morning the check engine lamp again illuminated but, after a mile of driving, went out and has stayed out. The crank sensor code is still in my OBD system but the car runs fine.

I have 34,000 miles and the engine has never been abused. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by RagTopHeaven; 05-31-2013 at 04:55 PM. Reason: typo
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 08:03 AM

Garage
Use the. search.
LLLFLY

08 PW R/L 5-spd,The Wolf
Goodyear Blimp flight 2010 NASSM
Best of Show Old Bridge,NJ 2011
Best Interior 2012 NASSM
2nd American Legends 2013
DDMWORKS Loaded, Wind Restrictor
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 08:04 AM

Garage
Use the. search.
LLLFLY

08 PW R/L 5-spd,The Wolf
Goodyear Blimp flight 2010 NASSM
Best of Show Old Bridge,NJ 2011
Best Interior 2012 NASSM
2nd American Legends 2013
DDMWORKS Loaded, Wind Restrictor
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
A bunch of us have. There's 2 position sensors, 1 for the intake and 1 for the exhaust. They're on the top of the engine and since I was doing it, I just swapped out both. IIRC it was about $50. The code will tell you which one is bad. And, yeah, try searching your P Code and that'll usually point you right to it.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck View Post
A bunch of us have. There's 2 position sensors, 1 for the intake and 1 for the exhaust. They're on the top of the engine and since I was doing it, I just swapped out both. IIRC it was about $50. The code will tell you which one is bad. And, yeah, try searching your P Code and that'll usually point you right to it.
He said crank position, not camshaft position.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
He did say crank. Then, nevermind.

RagTop, what's the code you got?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Code J4355. Finally took to GM and they confirmed it is indeed a crankshaft position sensor. They want $260 to replace.

They also say my alternator is starting to fail and want $720 for that. As I understand it the voltage regulator is NOT in the alternator anymore but is now part of the power control module which should be covered by my emissions warranty.

Have any of you seen premature (34,000 miles) failure of alternators?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagTopHeaven View Post
Code J4355. Finally took to GM and they confirmed it is indeed a crankshaft position sensor. They want $260 to replace.

They also say my alternator is starting to fail and want $720 for that. As I understand it the voltage regulator is NOT in the alternator anymore but is now part of the power control module which should be covered by my emissions warranty.

Have any of you seen premature (34,000 miles) failure of alternators?
Are you still within the 5yr/100k mile drivetrain warranty? Both should be covered if so.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

My 5 year, 100K warranty is still in effect but the dealer is holding firm that IT DOES NOT APPLY.

Hard to believe since the crankshaft is part of the engine and the engine is part of the powertrain. We're still fighting about it.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 02:51 PM

That's bogus. Ping the GM Customer service people on the forum.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
That's bogus. Ping the GM Customer service people on the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagTopHeaven View Post
My 5 year, 100K warranty is still in effect but the dealer is holding firm that IT DOES NOT APPLY.

Hard to believe since the crankshaft is part of the engine and the engine is part of the powertrain. We're still fighting about it.
Just because it's part of the engine doesn't mean it's under the powertrain warranty. This is not a "guess" thing. I'm pretty sure GM has coverage defined to the proverbial "T". Looking in my Warranty booklet I see crank position sensor listed under "Ignition Systems".

Nothing wrong with verifying with GM corporate.

2008 Redline Auto
Born 7/20/07
Snagged 8/31/07
Released 8/8/15
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Tell the dealer to RTFM!!!

GM is quite specific as to what is covered under the powertrain warranty. The crankshaft sensor is covered as per page 23 in your warranty manual. I can't find reference to the alternator so I assume it is not covered. I would get them to change the crankshaft sensor if you need to do that to get it running and go somewhere else for a second opinion on the alternator.

I would replace the battery first as our cars do weird things with a worn battery. If it's the original look for a new one.

Here's reference to the crankshaft sensor on page 23:

Ignition System
Camshaft Position Sensor(s)
Crankshaft Position Sensor(s)
Distributor
Distributor Cap
Distributor Pick Up Coil
Distributor Rotor
Glow Plug(s) (Diesel)
Glow Plug Controller (Diesel)
Glow Plug Relay (Diesel)
Ignition Coil(s)
Ignition Control Module
Ignition Timing Adjustment
Knock Sensor
Spark Plug Wires
Spark Plugs

You can find the manuals for the car here.

Saturn Vehicle Owner?s Manuals | Saturn

Last edited by Sly Bob; 06-10-2013 at 04:12 PM.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello all,

Here is a little more clarification on the powertrain warranty. If the part is found to be defective and you are under warranty it includes:

In general, the powertrain warranty covers the engine, transmission, transfer case and axle assemblies on light duty vehicles as indicated below:

Engine Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, the entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors and return line). Also included are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine (i.e.: Active Fuel Management Valve Lifter Oil Manifold, etc.) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module, module programming, cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer, engine mount, starter motor, turbocharger and supercharger. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, fans, coolant and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded are engine oil cooling hoses and radiators.

Transmission/Transaxle Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, case, torque converter, mounts, seals and gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the transmission/transaxle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the transmission (Slave cylinder, etc.) as well as any Transmission Control Module and/or module programming.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are transmission cooling lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors.

The Transfer Case Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, case, mounts, seals and gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the transfer case. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the transfer case (Slave cylinder, etc.) as well as encoder motor, transfer case control modules and/or module programming.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are transfer case cooling lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors.

The Drive Systems Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, final drive housings, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, propeller shafts, universal joints, wheel bearings, front and rear hub bearings, locking hubs, mounts, supports, seals, gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the drive axle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the drive axle (i.e.: front differential actuator, etc.) as well as any transmission control module and/or module programming.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are drive system cooling, lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors related to drive systems.

Hope this helps,

Erica Tiffany
GM Customer Service
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Erica, that may be true today but the warranty was different when this gentleman purchased his 2008 Sky. The warranty book that I posted a link to states that the crankshaft position sensor is covered. I suggest he takes that document to the dealer and pursues it further.

Do you have access to the 2008 document?

Last edited by Sly Bob; 06-11-2013 at 12:24 PM.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 12:29 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I'd hope that GM would have access to that document. After all, you and I and anyone with access to the internet can find it:

http://www.saturn.com/content/dam/sa...nty-manual.pdf

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in