DIY - Lifting and jacking UP your SKY - GM Instructions!!! - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 02:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPM View Post
If I'm reading the FSM correctly, I need to buy at least two J43625 Lift Pad Adapters to jack up the entire front end. I push them into specific points of the body and then jack on those points. Correct?
An official "J-43625" kit should come as a set of two adapters. If the seller is not clear, pick up the phone and ask them how many adapters come with that part number.

Also, the number of adapters you need depends what you're doing on the vehicle..

If you're doing a simple tire change you can use a single puck and lift a single corner of the vehicle at a time. If you need to get under the vehicle and do not have ramps then yes, two pucks, two lift points, two lifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPM View Post
I only have one floor jack so are there spots where I can place jack stands, allowing me to move the floor jack to the other side of the car and lift? (I also don't like to be under a car with just the hydraulic jack holding it up.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilate View Post
Anyone have advice for putting it on jackstands?
BEWARE: If you attempt to put a stand or attempt to lift anywhere else on the underbody other than the official lift points you may crush the underbody (I am guilty of crumpling steel in two locations, front and rear, on two different Kappas -- more encouragement for buying some ramps if you're at all uncomfortable finding a secondary location for your jacks.)

Officially? No. And don't be fooled by anything else under there that may look similar to a lift point, I assure you those spots will crumple before it lifts/supports the vehicle.

Unofficially? If you're going to kick a jack stand under the vehicle you might find a solid bar running from the front lift point port to the rear lift point port. If you're careful you might be able to get away with placing a lift and block-style puck against that bar "very close" to the official lift points. You can then place a jack under the official lift point (I'm assuming you have an appropriate puck or other spacer.) You will damage the weld/seam and/or body panel if you don't use something to protect the car from your lift. Also, the car may (will) shift a bit while jacking the other side of the vehicle up, so avoid placing the jack bare against the car. Really, unofficially, you use jack stands at your own peril. I would say I've done this but I imagine someone out there will find a way to misunderstand me and then crush the underbody of their car.

Personally I would promote two ramps, or two lifts and only place jacks as a safety measure (not as primary support), especially-- ESPECIALLY if you intend to crawl under there.

Ramps sometimes cost less than official pucks, too, and how much can you put on your safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich71 View Post
or make your own with a hockey puck.
I learned the hard way that (some?) hockey pucks compress outward, and this further damaged an already cracked panel. They're great for awkwardly shaped/angled things like cross bars, pumpkins, oil pans, etc where the official puck just won't do and you need a more forgiving surface than the lift itself.. but I will never use one as a spacer to protect the body/panel from the lift at the official lift points again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 09:20 PM
ZPM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Garage
Since my original post back in April of 2017 I gained three more months of intensive servicing experience on that girlfriends 2007 base model before 1) tossing the girlfriend, and 2) gaining my own 2008 Sky. Still not sure which of the two benefited me more, but I'm loving my car!

About lifting the car, I obtained one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0066SHNH8

Someone assured me it's the right puck but, to be honest, I haven't tested it yet because my floor jack is too high a profile and won't go under the car. Instead, I bought a pair of ramps and have been using those. It seems like the puck has enough friction to stay on the car full-time. I might just do that. Or, I may use a silicone adhesive to keep them in. Handy in case I get caught in the field needing a lift. Just a note, my ex indicated people have jacked her car on the hardpoints without the pucks. Probably works OK but I'm sure it marred the metal. Maybe deformed it.

I've spent a lot of time researching this and am convinced that only the four hardpoints spec'd for jacking are suitable. Putting a jack or stand anywhere else is liable to cause damage. As such, I'll keep using the ramps and I'll get a low profile jack for the pucks. The only way to lift two or all-four wheels off the ground will be with two or for low profile jacks. That being the case, my next house will have a fourth garage slot dedicated to a two-point lift I've already chosen to safely lift this car. I suppose it will lift my other cars too. ha ha

I'm attaching the jacking instructions here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LIFTING AND JACKING THE SKY.pdf (177.0 KB, 163 views)
TJB63 likes this.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in