Evap system versus turbo leak - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Evap system versus turbo leak

I have followed many of suggestions on the forum but still no solution. I have an 07 Sky Redline, cold air intake, after market exhaust and a time, 300 rwhp. No problems last 20,000. Started throwing 0101, p0139 codes. Replaced plugs, coils, MAF sensor. Finally went to dealer who charged $110 to say it was a loose hose. Wasn’t Car keeps going into limp mode, reset codes while moving and turbo kicks back in with no loss of power though runs rough whether limp mode or not. Need helpdealer seems clueless or just lazy in helping me due to aftermarket parts. I’m thinking it’s tge Evap system as it’s running so rough with idle bouncing up and down on rpms. Once codes rest takes time for turbo to build back up. Once it does runs fine to it goes limp usually within 10-15”. Thoughts for next steps? I checked all turbo lines and used double T clamps everywhere. Thanks Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Garage
Did you replace your O2 also? I only ask since P139 is an O2 issue.

You're MAF and O2 sensor are the two most important sensors in your ECM's data collecting for fueling. The MAF tells your ECU how much air is entering the engine and your O2 allows it to check to see the Air/Fuel ratio to see if it made the proper calculations and adjust them if necessary. Having either of these malfunction would cause some major issues. Don't know enough about the LNF's ECM logic to tell you if a failed O2 or MAF would put it in limp mode...I think the MAF will but not 100% certain.

Good news is getting to the O2 sensor and MAF sensor are super easy. You don't even have to jack up the car.

I had a MAF issue in my 2.4 (whose MAF sensor is in the intake on the DRIVER'S side of the car...) and like you I cleaned the sensor then changed it and no change in condition. Car would run fine for a bit then run like crap. Turns out the wiring going into the plug on the harness side was broken IN the plug. Looking at it and inspecting the wire showed nothing. It wasn't until I gently tugged on each wire going into the plug and the bad wire easily sliding out of said plug that I discovered the issue. I got a new plug from the dealership, rewired it, no problem sense.

Considering what you've looked it, other than triple checking that what you've already done, you may look at the O2 and the wires at the plugs.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input I have been thinking about the O2 sensors but waited as I thought I’m getting up to $500 of parts to have the dealer look at it. Did replace MAF sensor no change, plugs, coils. Tonight took it for a long drive ran up the following codes;
0334. In that order
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Okay, so the 033X codes are all Knock sensor codes. 2271 is another O2 code...stuck rich.

Some questions, what cold air intake do you have? Since your MAF is in the CAI, there have been cases where the addition of a CAI causes a MAF code because of how it changes the airflow around the MAF.

Second, when did you last change your battery and have you had any starting issues? I ask because when the batteries start to go in these cars, there are all sorts of horrible electrical issues that creep up like this. You start chasing all these error codes only to find out your battery is just too old. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Haven’t had any battery issues for some time. Had the typhoon big air kit for the last 15000 miles with out a problem. When I changed the plugs they were worn to a needle point. At this point do you still think changing out O2 sensors pre and post are my best options? Thanks again for the help.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

I also remember seeing a post about the MAF wiring harness but not sure how to check that will go after sensors first if you think that could’ve the problem
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Check the MAF harness first. You should be able to gently (key word) tug on the wires at the plug and they should not come out. IF the plug has been replaced, you'll know. All the wires at the plug will probably be white and they will have soldiered or crimp connectors where they tie into the rest of the loom. This is a free fix.

How old is your battery? You may not have any other symptoms of a batter going bad other than all this weird electrical stuff. IF it's an older battery, I'd start by replacing that before all else.

It just seems the error codes you get and are now getting added to would be very odd to have all of them come on at once. I'd check the MAF plug and all the O2 plugs before I changed the front O2 sensor. It seems really odd for all these things...MAF, Knock Sensors, and both O2s...to have issues all at the same time.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Appears battery a two years old. Have a spare I can try but will try downstream o2 first as not looking forward to removing side skirt and fender to change battery. If sensor doesn’t do it will try other battery brand new never put in bimmer
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Just guessing, but chances are a BMW battery won't fit, if that is what you mean by bimmer. In the past, there has been a lot of discussion here about certain battery dimensions are necessary for a battery to fit in a Kappa. But, then again, maybe you'll get lucky.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

You right considerably bigger when I measured it. Will pop the O2 sensor in wed or Thursday and go from there, thanks again
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Was unable to connect o2 sensor downstream , couldn’t get hands in to connect sensor so will have them replaced at dealer. Also will have them check diverter valve as well as I’m wondering if that may also be an issue with the backfiring on deceleration
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
How old is your battery? You may not have any other symptoms of a batter going bad other than all this weird electrical stuff. IF it's an older battery, I'd start by replacing that before all else.
Haven't re-read this entire thread and not just certain, but I'm getting the feeling you haven't taken Robo's advice about changing that battery ...... first order of business....."IF it's an older battery, I'd start by replacing that before all else". But, your call.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Madison View Post
Was unable to connect o2 sensor downstream , couldnít get hands in to connect sensor so will have them replaced at dealer. Also will have them check diverter valve as well as Iím wondering if that may also be an issue with the backfiring on deceleration
Backfire on decel is usually due to a too rich condition on decel. How bad is the backfire? Too rich like that and backfires can result in damage to your cat and O2 sensors too over time.

For the downstream O2...did you have the car up in the air or on the ground? The rear O2 sensor really can't be changed with the car on the ground.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Had the car on ramps. I’m a pretty large guy and being under the car even on ramps not too enjoyable with spoiler resting on me. Was unable to get my hand into space to get downstream connector off. Took to the dealer to have the two oxygen sensors replaced and check the diverter valve for damage. If that fails then I will take off the fender to get to battery. As I have Norms side skirts on car it will make it slightly more complicated so hoping it won’t be needed. Thanks for all the tips so far. I’m also wondering to get resolved if still have issue reflash back to normal. Wondering if tuner made too rich. Even though I have 20,000 on the tube, maybe switch back until sorted out
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Semi good news, as mechanic was putting in O2 sensors and checking diverter valve he noticed that some of the wires on the MAF sensor harness were not intact. He is very confident that is the issue. When harness removed car idled much better as well. So had to pick car up for vacation and didn’t want to leave at dealer but harness to be replaced when I get back. Hopefully that is the end. The battery will be next should it come to that. Thanks again will keep you posted next Friday when harness replaced
mstrjon32 likes this.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in