Fog lights not working!!! - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Fog lights not working!!!

I know for a fact is not the bulbs (had these bulbs on the headlights) or the fuse (I checked it) or the relay (swapped the horn relay with the fog light one and horn still works but fogs won't come on).

I also noticed the green fog light indicator on the dash doesn't light up either when I hit the button and I remember even when I had hids there and one or both were out the dash indicator would still come on.

Any thoughts?

I guess it could be the actual fog light switch?

Any input would be appreciated!

BTW, I know it's been a while since my last post. Still have the Sky and with only 25K miles.

I'm about to finally have it paid off so almost mine at last. (Long story)

Regards,

BA...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Sometimes for some reason I have to click my switch two or three times to get the fogs on. Other times it works just fine on the first click. Definently a potential fail.

Joe

FLASHED

2008 Red Line Carbon Flash SE Naked!

Last edited by stungjoe; 12-06-2016 at 01:53 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Garage
I would guess switch or wiring.

Since our switch is a momentary switch (you push it and it completes the ground then when you let go if it, the ground is incomplete again but that momentary signal goes to the BCM and tells it to turn on the fogs...I think) It could be the switch is bad or dirty.

@TomatoSoup may have a better answer than I since he's got a lot more electrical knowledge than I do. Oh TS!?

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stungjoe View Post
Sometimes for some reason I have to click my switch two or three times to get the fogs on. Other times it works just fine on the first click. Definently a potential fail.
JIC https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O91CQQW
Well thanks for that...

For under $13 is worth trying it even if it's just to rule it out.

The BCM, I imagine would be much more expensive!!!

BA
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You could remove the switch, remove the wire from it, and then either ground it out or power it up (depending on how it works, TS will know this) and if the lights come on then you know it's the switch. If not, then it is something else.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I would guess switch or wiring.

Since our switch is a momentary switch (you push it and it completes the ground then when you let go if it, the ground is incomplete again but that momentary signal goes to the BCM and tells it to turn on the fogs...I think) It could be the switch is bad or dirty.

@TomatoSoup may have a better answer than I since he's got a lot more electrical knowledge than I do. Oh TS!?
OK, well given that you've checked the relay and fog light fuse (though that was not mentioned), then the possibilities are:

1) Fog light switch
2) Fog light and relay (common) ground point
3) BCM (ugh!)

That fact that the LED on the switch doesn't come on points to either 1) or 3). As you said, the switch is cheap enough to eliminate it first, though it's also possible to take it apart (if you're handy) and check/fix it. My emergency flasher switch was broken from the factory and I took it apart and found a piece of plastic broken off inside - removing that allowed it to work again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
You could remove the switch, remove the wire from it, and then either ground it out or power it up (depending on how it works, TS will know this) and if the lights come on then you know it's the switch. If not, then it is something else.
Yep, good test. The switch works by grounding the wire from the BCM. The ground wire to the switch will be the Black wire and the BCM wire is "OG" (which I assume means Orange) on my schematic. Just short them together to test. If just the LED lights, then short the other wire (whatever color) to black

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 10:30 AM

Wait a minute, there's a light on the switch? Mine has never lit up..haha. I just get the light in the instrument cluster
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
OK, well given that you've checked the relay and fog light fuse (though that was not mentioned), then the possibilities are:

1) Fog light switch
2) Fog light and relay (common) ground point
3) BCM (ugh!)

That fact that the LED on the switch doesn't come on points to either 1) or 3). As you said, the switch is cheap enough to eliminate it first, though it's also possible to take it apart (if you're handy) and check/fix it. My emergency flasher switch was broken from the factory and I took it apart and found a piece of plastic broken off inside - removing that allowed it to work again.

Yep, good test. The switch works by grounding the wire from the BCM. The ground wire to the switch will be the Black wire and the BCM wire is "OG" (which I assume means Orange) on my schematic. Just short them together to test. If just the LED lights, then short the other wire (whatever color) to black
Thanks a lot guys...

I will be taking the switch off to see if I see any obvious issues and to see if I can "short" it out to see if it works...

BA...

2nd SKY: (Lucy)
2008 RED on Red/Black Lthr
RedLine
Delivered - 7/14/08
Loaded
Auto
3" Magnaflow, GMPP Tune,
Lil Chromies & CAI

1st SKY: (Traded)
2007 Silver Graphite
RedLine
Loaded (-6CD)
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Wait a minute... The switch lights up fine, what doesn't light up is the actual dash indicator in the instrument panel where the gauges are when I hit the switch...

Any difference there???

BA
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKY Spy View Post
Wait a minute... The switch lights up fine, what doesn't light up is the actual dash indicator in the instrument panel where the gauges are when I hit the switch...

Any difference there???

BA
There's four pins on the switch so....maybe.... one set does the grounding thing for the BCM and the other set may complete the circuit for the light

Joe

FLASHED

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I have an 07 and the dash light works but no light on the switch at all. The fog lights do work.

Joe

Last edited by JoeK; 12-06-2016 at 01:28 PM.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I knew TS would know this. I thought it was a ground switch but wasn't sure.

Yea, I have no light on my 07 switch either...neither of them did/do this. Wonder if this was a production change later on?

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Last edited by Robotech; 12-06-2016 at 01:33 PM.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Well thanks for that...

For under $13 is worth trying it even if it's just to rule it out.

The BCM, I imagine would be much more expensive!!!

BA
DO NOT BUY THAT SWITCH!

Sorry, I just tried to install the switch and there are indices on the barrel of the switch which are different between the front fog light switch and the Opel's rear fog light switch!!! I had purchased the Opel knee bolster in anticipation of adding a USB port in the second hole. I got the mentioned switch to install in the new Opel bolster but it will not fit in the OEM knee bolster.

EDIT: If you did buy the switch I'm sure you could cut one of the indices down and make the switch work in the OEM bolster. they just have two indices for orientation purposes so the switch fits on the hole the same way each time. i did get the wire to plug onto the switch and it does light up the dash light and fog lights...still no love for the light in the switch though

Joe

FLASHED

Last edited by stungjoe; 12-06-2016 at 02:06 PM.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Garage
Switch wipers often get some high resistance corrosion on them when they aren't used much - as is normally true with fog light switches. Sometimes just flicking it a few times cleans the oxidation off, sometimes not. Don't know how easy it is to get at the contacts to clean them with some abrasive.

If you can't get a strip of abrasive in there, that will remedy it. If not (as is the case when seldom used electronics like volume controls in stereo gear) then there are sprays you can shoot in there that help, although the really effective freon based ones are no longer available for ecological reasons.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Quote:

Any difference there???

BA
OK, just to be clear here, there's a possibility of TWO lights on the switch: 1) a little LED indicator light that toggles on and off with the fog lights; 2) a backlight that lights the icon on the switch when it's dark out.

If you are saying that your car does indeed have light #1 and that lights when you toggle the switch, then the switch is fine! The indicator LED (#1 ) power is supplied from the BCM, so the BCM is definitely getting the signal from the switch just fine. Note: I'm not sure if all, or some, or no, Skys have the LED indicator (#1 ) on the switch. I CAN tell you my Solstice has it though

If you are only saying light #2 works (the backlight) then nothing is determined as to where the issue lies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stungjoe View Post
There's four pins on the switch so....maybe.... one set does the grounding thing for the BCM and the other set may complete the circuit for the light
One pin is ground (common); one pin is the switch signal; one pin is for the backlight +v; one pin is for the LED indicator +v (if you have it). Total, 4 pins.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in