Fog lights not working!!! - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post

One pin is ground (common); one pin is the switch signal; one pin is for the backlight +v; one pin is for the LED indicator +v (if you have it). Total, 4 pins.
Now i know why my switch doesn't light up when "ON"....there's only three wires. orange, grey and black

Joe

FLASHED

2008 Red Line Carbon Flash SE Naked!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Garage
I wonder if this is something different Solstice to Sky. TS, do you have the fog light indicator light on the dash as well or is the only indication the LED on the switch?

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I wonder if this is something different Solstice to Sky. TS, do you have the fog light indicator light on the dash as well or is the only indication the LED on the switch?
Could well be. I don't recall a foglight indicator in the cluster, but the Sol has the switch up high, visible alongside the cluster. So that may be why.

UPDATE: I guess not (for idiot light) :

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
OK, just to be clear here, there's a possibility of TWO lights on the switch: 1) a little LED indicator light that toggles on and off with the fog lights; 2) a backlight that lights the icon on the switch when it's dark out.

If you are saying that your car does indeed have light #1 and that lights when you toggle the switch, then the switch is fine! The indicator LED (#1 ) power is supplied from the BCM, so the BCM is definitely getting the signal from the switch just fine. Note: I'm not sure if all, or some, or no, Skys have the LED indicator (#1 ) on the switch. I CAN tell you my Solstice has it though

If you are only saying light #2 works (the backlight) then nothing is determined as to where the issue lies.

One pin is ground (common); one pin is the switch signal; one pin is for the backlight +v; one pin is for the LED indicator +v (if you have it). Total, 4 pins.
The backlight works fine.

No indicator light on the Sky's switch, just the Instrument Gauge Light that comes on (not on my case) when you turn the fogs on.

So I guess the situation remains the same until I purchase the switch and try it out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stungjoe
DO NOT BUY THAT SWITCH!

Sorry, I just tried to install the switch and there are indices on the barrel of the switch which are different between the front fog light switch and the Opel's rear fog light switch!!! I had purchased the Opel knee bolster in anticipation of adding a USB port in the second hole. I got the mentioned switch to install in the new Opel bolster but it will not fit in the OEM knee bolster.

EDIT: If you did buy the switch I'm sure you could cut one of the indices down and make the switch work in the OEM bolster. they just have two indices for orientation purposes so the switch fits on the hole the same way each time. i did get the wire to plug onto the switch and it does light up the dash light and fog lights...still no love for the light in the switch though
Amazon actually sells the Sky fog light switch and not just the one originally intended for Opel. I checked and there are different part numbers...

Here is the one for the Sky: https://www.amazon.com/2007-09-Facto...g+light+switch

Regards,

BA...

2nd SKY: (Lucy)
2008 RED on Red/Black Lthr
RedLine
Delivered - 7/14/08
Loaded
Auto
3" Magnaflow, GMPP Tune,
Lil Chromies & CAI

1st SKY: (Traded)
2007 Silver Graphite
RedLine
Loaded (-6CD)
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stungjoe View Post
Now i know why my switch doesn't light up when "ON"....there's only three wires. orange, grey and black
So how hard (or easy) it is to pull the switch out and replace it?

BA...

RedLine
Delivered - 7/14/08
Loaded
Auto
3" Magnaflow, GMPP Tune,
Lil Chromies & CAI

2007 Silver Graphite
RedLine
Loaded (-6CD)
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKY Spy View Post
So how hard (or easy) it is to pull the switch out and replace it?

BA...
The whole knee bolster has to come out.
pop the side panel of the dash and there's two screws on the side. one visible screw by right knee. one hidden screw around the OBD port. pop two panel retainers and you can pry the plastic piece down to get at it. the top is clipped in to place. Dimmer switch wire and fog light switch wire. The fog light switch is a snap in with two tabs to push in to get it to release.

Take a gander at this and you can see the holes along the bottom and clips up top.

Joe

FLASHED

2008 Red Line Carbon Flash SE Naked!

Last edited by stungjoe; 12-06-2016 at 03:27 PM.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Could well be. I don't recall a foglight indicator in the cluster, but the Sol has the switch up high, visible alongside the cluster. So that may be why.

UPDATE: I guess not (for idiot light) :

Yea, ours is right there in that blank spot in the lower center group of lights...or at least somewhere around there. Our fog light switch is right in front of the driver's left knee on the lower part of the dash next to our dashboard lights' dimmer dial.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The whole knee bolster has to come out.
pop the side panel of the dash and there's two screws on the side. one visible screw by right knee. one hidden screw around the OBD port. pop two panel retainers and you can pry the plastic piece down to get at it. the top is clipped in to place. Dimmer switch wire and fog light switch wire. The fog light switch is a snap in with two tabs to push in to get it to release.

Take a gander at this and you can see the holes along the bottom and clips up top.
Thanks man... that was very helpful...

BA...
stungjoe likes this.

RedLine
Delivered - 7/14/08
Loaded
Auto
3" Magnaflow, GMPP Tune,
Lil Chromies & CAI

2007 Silver Graphite
RedLine
Loaded (-6CD)
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 11:53 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
This got me thinking about my fog light switch. I use it once and a great while. Push in and hold in till the green indicator light on the switch itself comes on.
Lack of regular use of this switch, and some corrosive build up might be there on the contacts? So now that the green LED light is on, the fog lights are on, and here is what is different about the SKY and the Sol.

After looking at TS DIC on his and mine there is a difference. Mine has two indicators for the lights. One for the high beams at the top ( blue in color when in use), near turn signal indicators, and the other one is down low next to the Theft Lock indicator. On TS DIC in the Sol its shows something like low coolant Warning light which I do not have on the SKY's DIC not sure why? That does light up also, can't remember if its color is also green like the switch light or back lit amber/white?

In the owners manual on pg. 3-21 U.S. Base Instrumental Panel Cluster( Canada and Uplevel similar? RL or GXP?) it shows both in the DIC, not sure if this is different in other model year SKY's? On pg. 3-35 it shows the Fog Lamp light when in use. I don't do much driving at night these days, but when I do I use them. Fog oh nooo not that again. Once just recently I did use them for real foggy conditions around here but it was daytime, I think hard to tell in fog.

Test them often see if they really do work, how else would you know if they work if you don't try? The contacts can be cleaned, I'm not spraying anything in my interior, so that would mean removing it from the dash. If doing that why waste time, replace it now. Why spend money on a new switch if you don't have to? Yeah cost came in to mind here, but is it really a concern to you the owner, if you never use them in the first place? Electrical contact cleaner, emeroy cloth or even a plain old pencil eraser works well sometimes. Electrical short/fire under your dash, not something you want to experience first hand so
Popeil's pocket sized fire ext. for personal safety, just in case.

LAC
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I had the same issue last night with a Sky I just purchased. Fog lights were working and all of a sudden they would not come on. I tested the fuse and relay first and then I took out the switch and tested it and it was not working. I blew some air in it and shook it and it started working again. I have a feeling it will fail again, so I ordered one from Amazon.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 08:19 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
DO NOT BUY THAT SWITCH!

Sorry, I just tried to install the switch and there are indices on the barrel of the switch which are different between the front fog light switch and the Opel's rear fog light switch!!! I had purchased the Opel knee bolster in anticipation of adding a USB port in the second hole. I got the mentioned switch to install in the new Opel bolster but it will not fit in the OEM knee bolster.

EDIT: If you did buy the switch I'm sure you could cut one of the indices down and make the switch work in the OEM bolster. they just have two indices for orientation purposes so the switch fits on the hole the same way each time. i did get the wire to plug onto the switch and it does light up the dash light and fog lights...still no love for the light in the switch though
Just as a point of information...the second hole for the Opel switch is the Solstice fog light switch....to install the Saturn fog light switch, u must remove the chrome bezel...

BA...I remember your car being delivered off the transporter...there is a video tape on this forum somewhere.

Last edited by marlboromike; 03-08-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in