Help! Is my Sky crazy or is it just me? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Help! Is my Sky crazy or is it just me?

My wife has a 2009 Sky 2.4L NA automatic. Recently the TMPS sensor was flashing even though the tires had the correct PSI. I was thinking that it was the TMPS batteries, but then one morning it would not start. I replaced the battery and everything seemed to be ok for a little while, but then my wife told me the TMPS light was flashing then stayed solid for a few minutes.

Then the other day I got in the car and the brake warning light the TMPS sensor light and one other warning light stayed on even though the brake was not on. I stopped and restarted the car and everything went away.

This morning the car would not start. The starter did not make good contact and when it did it could not turn the engine. All of the electronics would flash and then it would ding like I left the lights on or the key in the ignition, but neither were true. The battery seems to have plenty of power because the lights and everything come on and are not dim.

What do you think this could be?

My thinking is that the starter could be going bad and taking too much power to turn the engine over. I think the warning lights might be coming from not having enough power because the starter is taking it all. Almost like when the battery is dead. I am also thinking it could be an alternator issue. I have seen some cars doing some really weird things when the alternator goes out.

I really hope that it is not some electrical issue that I am going to have to take it to the dealer for. I also don't want to just go replacing random stuff to see if it fixes the issue.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
The first thing to check is the battery. How old is it? The second thing is the condition of the battery cables and connectors. Are they loose or corroded? The third is grounds, although this seems less like that than the battery.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
The first thing to check is the battery. How old is it? The second thing is the condition of the battery cables and connectors. Are they loose or corroded? The third is grounds, although this seems less like that than the battery.
The battery was changed October 24th 2018 and I will double check the cables.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Garage
It sounds wacky, but these cars act possessed when the battery starts to fail. The odd warning lights and everything else is typical of a dying battery.

You say the battery was changed back in October of last year but where was the car over winter? Out here in So Cal we drive year round but I know others back east who put their car away for winter. It's not uncommon when they bring it back out in spring that the battery has issues and needs to be replaced.

Definitely check your grounds and cables. Loose or corroded wires can cause issues but at JohnWR states (and really I defer to him or TS for all things electrical) this sounds like battery rather than cable and ground.

If the cables and grounds check out, I would check the battery voltage under these three states: Car off, Load test by trying to start the car, and, if the car starts, running voltage. With the car off voltage should be well above 12Vs. Below this it could be low on charge or just bad if you've been driving it recently or had it on a charger. Whatever the car off voltage is, when you try and start the car the voltage shouldn't drop more than 1v. So if your standing voltage is 12.7, it should only be around 11.7 when you try to start the car. Anything more than 1V, battery is bad. Finally, when running...if it gets running...voltage should read 13-14 volts...I think our charging system should read over 14vs if it is operating properly. Below this and you may have a charging issue with the alternator or with the connections to the battery.

Hope this helps and that JohnWR or TomatoSoup will correct any of my inaccuracies.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
It sounds wacky, but these cars act possessed when the battery starts to fail. The odd warning lights and everything else is typical of a dying battery.
Yup, just as Robo said, my vote is for a bad battery.

Here's an anecdote... Just the day before yesterday my daughter left to go to lunch with a friend and her car wouldn't start. Exact same symptoms as yours, all the lights and electronics worked fine, but not enough power to turn over the engine. (You left the lights on or something I thought) so I get out the battery charger, set it to start on 10amp boost and left it til the evening. Car still wouldn't start. So then I got the multimeter out and tested the battery while the car was off. 11.7 volts. Not great, but not hugely low - especially if it had been drained. Then I ask her to crank it while I measured the voltage. 7 to 8 volts. Dammit, battery's buggered. Now this is where I have to state that she got the car second hand about 3 months ago - it's a 2012 - and the battery came in the car, so had no idea of the age or state of it. I did look at the top labels while it was in the car, but there was no date stamp or code visible.

So I got the old battery out of the car and off we went to Wallymart for a cheapo replacement. So then, while we were waiting in Walmart to buy her new battery, I thought to look for the age of the failed one again, and this time I found it low down on the side. A sticker said the SHIP date was NOVEMBER 2018! So the damn battery was only a few months old!

Moral of the story - just 'cos you have a nearly new battery, doesn't mean it's not bad. If you have a voltmeter, you can check the same way I did and just measure the voltage while someone tries to crank the engine. Otherwise take it to an Autozone or Advance Auto (etc) and ask for them to do a battery test.

POSTSCRIPT: To finish my daughter's story... after seeing that date on the old battery, we didn't buy the new one at Wallymart. Instead we went to Autozone (it was an Autozone branded battery) and they gave us a free replacement. Actually very nice of them, because the (3yr replacement) warranty only applies to the original buyer. But they said they saw it was nearly new (must've been replaced by the user car place she got the car from before sale) and so told us that "they'd take care of us". So we are satisfied (non) customers!

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Here's another anecdote that may make you hesitate to stand next to a battery when it is starting a car.

My Bravada was beginning to be slow to start. Not bad, but it made me think about getting the battery replaced. The day I had planned to get a new one I got in, turned the key, heard a whoomph, and felt a little shake. My first thought was that a bomb had gone off and it had, sort of. I got out and saw what turned out to be battery acid running across the parking lot and found that everything under the hood had been splashed with it so I washed everything down with a hose. It turn out that the battery had a cracked plate and, when the electrolyte got a little low it exposed the crack. The current draw from starting caused a spark that ignited the hydrogen gas that is inside the battery above the acid and the explosion blew the top of the battery case completely off.

That was 20 years ago and, to this day if I am starting a vehicle with the hood open, I will stand with something between me and the battery.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

So I got home and it wouldn't start, not really a surprise. I jump it to another car and it starts immediately. I just torque app and multi meter and it showed the car by itself was giving the battery 14v no matter how much stuff I turned on. I guess it is the battery I just hope that it tests bad so I can get it exchanged.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmorgannc View Post
So I got home and it wouldn't start, not really a surprise. I jump it to another car and it starts immediately. I just torque app and multi meter and it showed the car by itself was giving the battery 14v no matter how much stuff I turned on. I guess it is the battery I just hope that it tests bad so I can get it exchanged.
Yea that voltage while running means your charging system is good. Assuming you multi-meter reading was taken at that battery terminals.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmorgannc View Post
Again, you can test it yourself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
[...] So then I got the multimeter out and tested the battery while the car was off. 11.7 volts. Not great, but not hugely low - especially if it had been drained. Then I ask her to crank it while I measured the voltage. 7 to 8 volts. Dammit, battery's buggered.
[...]
If you have a voltmeter, you can check the same way I did and just measure the voltage while someone tries to crank the engine.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in