Help! Oil shooting out VC PCV Tube at WOT! - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Help! Oil shooting out VC PCV Tube at WOT!

So....As the title says...

SO I took off the valve cover to intake tube with the Check valve because it was clogged and then I vented to atmosphere. IT's been running perfectly for over two years.

So right after I get the car back for the rear diff and do some WOT pulls it now is shooting like a table spoon of oil out that tube when I do a WOT pull, and when I cleaned up the oil it smells somewhat like gas as well. I've attached a pic of the filter over that tube so you know where I'm talking about.

My car runs and drives great and this only happens at WOT. Does anyone have any idea why it would do this, or what I could do short of getting a new engine?

GOd I really hope this is somehting simple!! If not I'm torching this car!!!

I'd appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Help!  Oil shooting out VC PCV Tube at WOT!-egr-breather.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like your PCV may be stuck open. I can't remember if it should only allow air to come in or air to go out but I want to say it shouldn't let air go back out into the intake. If oil is coming out like that...may be a problem in that line.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Are you talking about the line from the vc to the intake? I took that off.

Are you saying the pcv that goes into the manifold is messed up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Guys, re-read his post and look at his picture. He's removed the breather hose and vented through a filter.

@MattM - gas in the oil is generally a signifier that the seal(s) has gone on your HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) and that you need to replace it. I guess it could've gone badly enough that it's pressurizing the top end, but not sure.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 02:38 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Guys, re-read his post and look at his picture. He's removed the breather hose and vented through a filter.

@MattM - gas in the oil is generally a signifier that the seal(s) has gone on your HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) and that you need to replace it. I guess it could've gone badly enough that it's pressurizing the top end, but not sure.
My understanding is that breather hose has a one way check valve in it at the intake. Again.
.I dont have an LNF in my possession to familiarize myself with it but it is my understanding that this particular line does not play well when routed without the check valve.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post

Hey Tomato soup thanks for the reply. So have you heard of this type of thing shooting oil out the pcv? Also I would need to drop the gas tank to get at the pump correct?
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
Hey Tomato soup thanks for the reply. So have you heard of this type of thing shooting oil out the pcv? Also I would need to drop the gas tank to get at the pump correct?
No and No. The HPFP is attached to the top of the engine, just in front of the driver. See: https://www.solsticeforum.com/thread...p-hpfp.141657/

As I said before: "I guess it could've gone badly enough that it's pressurizing the top end, but not sure."

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 10:38 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave@ddmworks
That nipple where you have the filter hooked to has no baffling behind it to stop oil vapor from coming out through there. That is why there is a check valve on the stock piece that goes to the intake. There is supposed to be a one way flow of air from the intake to the valve cover through that hose only, so no baffling is needed on the back of that nipple. The nipple on the front of the valve cover has to go through a bunch of baffling inside the valve cover to catch oil vapor, sort of a built in catch can.

None the less, if you are getting excessive oil out of that nipple the only cause I can think of would be a big increase in crank case pressure caused by blow by in the engine. You should also check the inlet to the turbo for oil also, as you should be getting more coming out of the nipple on the front of the valve cover also. Most likely if you remove the black plastic intake tube you will find oil where it meets the turbo inlet. Do a compression and leakdown check, I am guessing that will show you what is going on with your engine.

Since the fuel is directly injected into the cylinder, there would be no way to pressurize the top end of the engine with fuel pressure. If he is getting blow by from one or more cylinders, most likely that is where the fuel is also getting into the bottom of the engine and oil causing the smell.

Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
[email protected]
Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 340whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 10:56 AM

Replied on Kappaperf thread.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
That nipple where you have the filter hooked to has no baffling behind it to stop oil vapor from coming out through there. That is why there is a check valve on the stock piece that goes to the intake. There is supposed to be a one way flow of air from the intake to the valve cover through that hose only, so no baffling is needed on the back of that nipple. The nipple on the front of the valve cover has to go through a bunch of baffling inside the valve cover to catch oil vapor, sort of a built in catch can.
So that is what I was thinking when it came to that line. I didn't know how much pressure was supposed to be behind it but I did think that fitting at the intake was a check valve.

Matt, based on what Dave has said here, have you pulled the dipstick and checked to see if the oil smells like gas? I'd think if you were getting blow by you'd be able to smell it here too.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

None the less, if you are getting excessive oil out of that nipple the only cause I can think of would be a big increase in crank case pressure caused by blow by in the engine. You should also check the inlet to the turbo for oil also, as you should be getting more coming out of the nipple on the front of the valve cover also. Most likely if you remove the black plastic intake tube you will find oil where it meets the turbo inlet. Do a compression and leakdown check, I am guessing that will show you what is going on with your engine.

Since the fuel is directly injected into the cylinder, there would be no way to pressurize the top end of the engine with fuel pressure. If he is getting blow by from one or more cylinders, most likely that is where the fuel is also getting into the bottom of the engine and oil causing the smell.
Hey Dave, I have one hopeful question for you.

Is it possible that my engine is now making so much power (it only does it at WOT and full boost) that I'm just overloading that side of the PCV system? And if I put a one way valve on it I could still be ok? Like I said, it's only happening at WOT with higher RPMS.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 01:44 PM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave@ddmworks
Quote:
Hey Dave, I have one hopeful question for you.

Is it possible that my engine is now making so much power (it only does it at WOT and full boost) that I'm just overloading that side of the PCV system? And if I put a one way valve on it I could still be ok? Like I said, it's only happening at WOT with higher RPMS.
Did you change the power of the engine? I read your original post as nothing has changed for 2 years and after the differential swap, you are getting the oil out of the filter?

When under full boost and WOT is going to be the worst case for blow by into the crankcase, leakdown and compression test will rule that out or let you know either way.

Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
[email protected]
Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 340whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Did you change the power of the engine? I read your original post as nothing has changed for 2 years and after the differential swap, you are getting the oil out of the filter?

When under full boost and WOT is going to be the worst case for blow by into the crankcase, leakdown and compression test will rule that out or let you know either way.
Yes, kind of. My car always had a weird hesitation after 5000rpms at WOT where it would pull then not pull etc. ONce my MAP sensor finally went out it's been pulling really hard up to 6000rpms now.

That said, after talking everything over with you I did add the line back to the nipple with the check valve at the end (but not running back to intake) and guess what?! No more oil blowing out! I go out and basically tak e it all the way through redline in 2nd and 3rd a number of times and to the best that I can tell I'm not getting more oil leaking. I still have yet to burn off the oil that was shot everywhere, but it's lessoning and lessoning. It still pulls really hard and no misses no smoke out the tailpipe. For now, I'm just going to call it a win.

My oil does smell a tiny bit like gas though, so I'm guessing maybe I might be down slightly on one cylinder, but at this point I don't really care (as long as it runs and drives great). Maybe I'll put some thicker oil in it to help with the blowby or something.

Anyway Dave, thanks for the advise! At least my car is drivable at this point!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Am having a hard time reading the dipstick to determine if there is too much oil. Does this look perfect or too full?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_3_2_1572977064679.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	106021  
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Am having a hard time reading the dipstick to determine if there is too much oil. Does this look perfect or too full?
I'm looking at that dipstick and maybe I'm just really old and my eyesight is really gone but I don't see any oil on that.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in