How to prevent rock chips on side rocker and lower door? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
How to prevent rock chips on side rocker and lower door?

I got new tires today!!!!!

I noticed I was running the original tires made in 2007!!!

The tread was still there but they were dry rotting and spinning when my turbo would kick in.

I got 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

They have a super sticky outside few inches for amazing dry grip, however they grab every little rock and throw it straight onto the lower side of my car!!!

I have what looks to be the 4 stock mud flap things.

What would be the best way to prevent more rock chips? I got a few just coming home from getting the new tires today.

Links to Pictures of what I have on:

https://ibb.co/txgj49z

https://ibb.co/fG7kgsL

2008 Redline
Alpine ILX-107 with Rearview Camera
Upgraded RPM Turbo
Cat Delete

Last edited by Dabman; 04-06-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Garage
If you deal with a lot of speed bumps in your area, take the front mud flaps off as soon as possible. They will break the front fenders.

There really isn't away to stop it. I tried norm's fender skirts/side panels and the rocks are eating them up. I run Bridgestone RE 71R's and they are even worse as far as tacky. I have thought about taking piece of 1/4 inch plywood and making and out line of the car. So it sticks out about 2 to 3 inches from under the car. Like and air foil. Have it fiberglassed and then hydro dipped carbon fiber. I think that is the only way to stop the rock damage. 3M clear right in front of the rear wheel will protect that area some. I need to do something with mine to.

My idea would look pretty cool I think, I would call it a side splitter. I guess they make this type of thing for the Velosters.

Will give it some more thought.

Last edited by skersfan; 04-06-2019 at 10:54 PM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Probably better off just putting clear bra on that part of the car. Mine has already been torn up from rock chips to the point that it probably needs a respray before it's worth applying, but if your paint is relatively good then it might be advisable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 02:21 PM

Garage
It doesn't do anything for the really sticky tires. Eats all the paint off. On mine it is too far gone. And my graphics guy refuses to do it. Says the paint on our cars is garbage and it will pull the paint off.

I said 1/4, but most likely will go 3/8 inch. I think I have about 1K miles on the fender skirts. Completely bare right behind the wheels. Norm painted them, and we had the best Clear coat to cover them. I love the tires, but they are destructive for sure.

Last edited by skersfan; 04-08-2019 at 03:13 AM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Garage
There is a reason I have the graphics on my car the way I do...

The graphite area of the graphics is a very thick wrap material and protects where you get 80% of your rock chips. I still get some above the graphics and would like to do some clear wrap above that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	39900351_10156693210314777_3610340047204646912_n.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	104705   Click image for larger version

Name:	39593972_10156689373529777_829516158049714176_n.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	104707  

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:37 PM

Garage
It doesn't prevent them. It hides them. I am looking for something to keep them off he bottom of the car. My idea with fender skirts in honesty made it worse. But the fender skirt is taking most of the beating and keeping the quarter panel clear. And I don't think you are running the Bridgestones every day anymore. Just for auto cross. I never had a problem until I put them on. I love them, but they are not the best option for your paint job.

If I could find a set of wheels I liked I put them on, and get a different set of tires for regular driving. Only use the Stones (appropriate I guess) on runs and stuff. They truly have destroyed the paint on the skirts. Completely gone right behind the front tire.

Plus you have a dark car, and that helps hide the rock chips, due to the angle. @Robotech what do the Velositer people call these things we talked about. I don't think you ever forwarded me the information on them.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
A dark car HIDES rock chips????? Not even! They stand out like a sore thumb.

I still run fairly sticky tires day to day and I can tell you the vinyl helps. I'm not sure what you mean that it hides chips...unless you mean when I peal it off the paint is chipping underneath the vinyl.

I still get chips up higher like before but nothing down low now. Before it looked like I was sandblasting the lower rockers in the rear. I'm sure if I ran the RE-71Rs daily like I did I'd see more up high but don't forget I did run them daily for a while when I got this paint job at first.

And those are called Side Extensions I believe.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:50 PM

Garage
I will check with Rick on the protective ability on vinyl. Thickness and the like. He won't put the new 3M stuff on my car. Says our paint is not good enough and it will cause problems, either by pulling the paint off initially, or for certain when you take it off. That is the reason I have not tried it. I do want to put it in front of the rear wheel, but don't like the look as it gets older. Have it on my Canyon and it sticks out like a sore thumb to me. I have more rock chips in my Sky in less than a year than I have in my FJ that I have seriously off roaded for 12 years.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yea, the guy that repainted my car didn't put flex agent in the bumper paint and didn't prep it very well. I have horrible rock chips and bubbles (Rocks hit the paint and the clear bubbles but doesn't chip off) all over it. grrrrr… Will have to repaint the bumper and reapply the graphics someday.

Want the engine in first.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Guys with black cars should swear by Dr. Colorchip. My area in front of my rear wheels was turning white it had so many chips. I got Dr. Colorchip that not only fills in the low spots but buffs in to match the paint and it looks a thousand times better!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
I will check with Rick on the protective ability on vinyl. Thickness and the like. He won't put the new 3M stuff on my car. Says our paint is not good enough and it will cause problems, either by pulling the paint off initially, or for certain when you take it off. That is the reason I have not tried it. I do want to put it in front of the rear wheel, but don't like the look as it gets older. Have it on my Canyon and it sticks out like a sore thumb to me. I have more rock chips in my Sky in less than a year than I have in my FJ that I have seriously off roaded for 12 years.
I was just getting ready to put the 3M protective vinyl on my car when I read skersfan's comments that his guy told him regarding the paint coming off. Has anyone else had any bad experiences using this on their cars? I would like to try it but now I'm a little concerned about pulling my paint off.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
He is the only person that I have heard that from. A number of people have removed the film from the deck lid without incident, and I would expect the paint in both locations to be equivalent.

One key point is to always heat the film when removing it, so the comment could be about what happens if you try to pull it off cold.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:17 PM

Garage
No unfortunately it is not. He is a world class wrapper. Travels the world giving classes in wrapping cars. He wrapped my green car, has done several of my race trucks, just did my FJ. I have known him for 20 years. He says that the paint is not a good enough quality to do it, most American cars fall into that category. I have tried time and again, but he simply will not do it for me, or anyone else. His comment, he can not take the chance on it anymore. Has had several problems with it.

I am sure I can get the lower part wrapped, but not with the heavy duty clear. He has wrapped the yellow car's hood, lower cowl, the windshield frame, and the rear deck and bumper. I am going 5 on years now and it still looks new. Best Paint winner at the Colorado National.

I think the RE 71's are the real problem. I had a few rock chips prior, but once I put them on, it was like strapping a sand blaster to the front wheels. I have to figure something out. I will take some pictures today.

To install a wrap properly it takes a very high heat, he uses one of those hand held torches. Maybe it adheres to well. He says the quality is fantastic, but it is just too strong. Had one a couple of years ago, not a Kappa, but GM product, Camaro I think, that pulled the paint off setting in the shop overnight. That was the end for him.

I am taking my FJ to him tomorrow, will ask again about it. But with the fender skirts/side panels from norm it adds alot more bends, then would have to have the car painted and set for 30 days before he would put the clear on it. Paint has to dry from inside out. He is a perfectionist no doubt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4007.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	529.6 KB
ID:	104717   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4008.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	104719   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4009.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	472.3 KB
ID:	104721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4010.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	104723   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4012.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	377.3 KB
ID:	104725  

Last edited by skersfan; 04-08-2019 at 08:06 PM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:08 PM

Garage
That was done in less than 1000 miles, but the idea of the skirts has protected the quarter panels. So I am half way there I guess.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
That was done in less than 1000 miles, but the idea of the skirts has protected the quarter panels. So I am half way there I guess.
Where did you get the skirts? I love those!

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in