Impact Bar Removal - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sky_Pilot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Impact Bar Removal

Has anyone removed the impact bar from a redline? According to the service manual there are 12 bolts holding it in place. I removed all 12 and that sucker still will not budge, so there must be a few hidden bolts/nuts that can't be seen from the front/top/bottom and that aren't noted in the service manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191007_051234_resized.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	105825  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1771 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Pilot View Post
Has anyone removed the impact bar from a redline? According to the service manual there are 12 bolts holding it in place. I removed all 12 and that sucker still will not budge, so there must be a few hidden bolts/nuts that can't be seen from the front/top/bottom and that aren't noted in the service manual.
Only thing I can see is if you didn't do all the preliminary procedures first...I bet if you skipped those steps, you may find a couple bolts there that are stopping you from removing it. GM loves to do stuff like this. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Only thing I can see is if you didn't do all the preliminary procedures first...I bet if you skipped those steps, you may find a couple bolts there that are stopping you from removing it. GM loves to do stuff like this. LOL
Doh, you're right, I forgot to remove the fascia ... seriously, I went by the book, but I could have skipped something, but the 3 volume manual is pretty clear. Some on the bottom would only come out by lowering the IC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Doh, you're right, I forgot to remove the fascia ... seriously, I went by the book, but I could have skipped something, but the 3 volume manual is pretty clear. Some on the bottom would only come out by lowering the IC.
Well, specifically I was thinking #4 but...LOL I would love to see you remove this without removing the fascia. LOL

But yea, if you went through all that...maybe it's just stuck on really good...my solution? Give it a couple of whacks with a rubber mallet and if that doesn't budge it, pull out the five pound sledge. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 05:56 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Garage
If u ook at the schematic....in the center, there is a number 3 that u omitted. That makes 13
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
If u ook at the schematic....in the center, there is a number 3 that u omitted. That makes 13
Number 3 is the bar itself, not a bolt.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 06:01 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Number 3 is the bar itself, not a bolt.
DUH!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Well, specifically I was thinking #4 but...LOL I would love to see you remove this without removing the fascia. LOL

But yea, if you went through all that...maybe it's just stuck on really good...my solution? Give it a couple of whacks with a rubber mallet and if that doesn't budge it, pull out the five pound sledge. LOL
Almost had me on that one, Robo. I needed to get back home and look it up in the manual. So number 4 refers to the "impact bar bracket". Page 3-29 (in the picture above) says to go to 3-30 and of course 3-30 tells you to go to 3-32. Long story short, the impact bar bracket is the bracket just in back of the plastic piece just behind the top of the fascia, right in back of the superman symbol. It's screwed into the top of the impact bar.

That little baby came off right after the fascia and the plastic bracket with it was destroyed (below).

I took a mallet and whacked the crap out of the impact bar and it didn't budge. I have a new impact bar on order, due in a week (seems parts are being delayed due to some strike), so once I have it, I can inspect every bolt hole in the thing and hopefully figure out what's holding it up.

In the meantime, I have 2 old wheel well liners to remove and a new set to install.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 10:46 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
Almost had me on that one, Robo. I needed to get back home and look it up in the manual. So number 4 refers to the "impact bar bracket". Page 3-29 (in the picture above) says to go to 3-30 and of course 3-30 tells you to go to 3-32. Long story short, the impact bar bracket is the bracket just in back of the plastic piece just behind the top of the fascia, right in back of the superman symbol. It's screwed into the top of the impact bar.

That little baby came off right after the fascia and the plastic bracket with it was destroyed (below).

I took a mallet and whacked the crap out of the impact bar and it didn't budge. I have a new impact bar on order, due in a week (seems parts are being delayed due to some strike), so once I have it, I can inspect every bolt hole in the thing and hopefully figure out what's holding it up.

In the meantime, I have 2 old wheel well liners to remove and a new set to install.
The Union picked GM to go on strike
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:

So THAT'S what that thing is called. LOL I have a new one of those and the plastic piece that goes with it waiting to go on the car the next time I pull the bumper.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Yay... Bumper Delete!

Two hidden screws and a wire harness that was clipped to the back. Man, what a b***h that was!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bumper Delete.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	105859  
Robotech likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

And....

Installed. . .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Bumper.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	614.4 KB
ID:	105863  

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in