K04 Internal Parts and Operation - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Oh...if you post the link I can pull the couple pages out we need after I get home tonight and post the new PDFs/JPEGs.

You can also link to the pdf and use the #page =X to link to a specific page like so:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=12...DZgQ1QIIzwEoAA
It's the first one at the top of the Google page, Robo.

Yogi

"Black Bart"
2008 Onyx Black Redline with Black Convertible Top
5 Speed Stick
Single Disk Monsoon Sound
Black Interior with Black Leather Seats
GM MB-222 Chrome "Snowflake" Wheels

Last edited by Robotech; 12-31-2016 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Must fix broken quote tag...LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
Quote:
Oh...if you post the link I can pull the couple pages out we need after I get home tonight and post the new PDFs/JPEGs.

You can also link to the pdf and use the #page =X to link to a specific page like so:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=12...DZgQ1QIIzwEoAA

Yogi
That works. Thanks

Jim Isbell....2008 Sky Redline

"I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees" Gen Emiliano Zapata

Last edited by Robotech; 12-31-2016 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Must fix broken quote in quote tag...
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Garage
That link isn't an actual link Blue. LOL It's an example of how you can link to a specific page in a PDF. Maybe I should clarify that...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi View Post

Yogi
Yogi, I'm looking at that link...

http://www.dieselcomponentsinc.com/w...14.pdf#page=60

(That's how you link to a specific page)

Shows three K04s, all for the Audi line, and two with compressor maps that don't match what I've seen from the Cobalt SS LNF guys have posted as our K04 compressor map. Would have more warm fuzzies about the link if it had our specific engine mentioned in the text.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

Last edited by Robotech; 12-31-2016 at 01:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 01:17 AM

Garage
But it worked.....almost,,,,I assumed the Audi used the same turbo, Does it not? Mechanical specs matched closely.

post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRL View Post
But it worked.....almost,,,,I assumed the Audi used the same turbo, Does it not? Mechanical specs matched closely.
It uses a K04 but that info sheet lists three different "Versions" of it and they all are a little different than the one on the LNF.

Also, this is the turbo map being thrown around the Cobalt SS forum (Which is also an LNF powered car in 2009) and it looks very different from the turbo maps in that link.

Which is why I ask the question. I don't know enough about turbo maps to make the call and hope someone else who knows more may offer some insight. Like I said in my first post, I'm still pretty new to this whole turbo thing too. I have some stuff down, but some stuff I'm still learning. Turbo maps are the latter.

What I DO know about turbo maps is you want to keep your boost output within the Turbo's efficiency range. That range is represented on the map by the complete "circles" in the mid area of the map.

I look at that map and think of it like a topography map where each line represents an elevation on a topographical map (and may be why they call it a map...who knows). You see how some lines are not complete and tend to run off the scale while there are two in the center which you can see are complete and make a continuous circle. These "elevations" are your Turbo's operating range.

I also know there is what is called a surge line and you want to stay on the "circle side" of that surge line. (If I remember correctly, the surge line is the very first line on the left of the plot area of the turbo's operating range and is darker in color than the rest of the lines...but it was a while ago I read this stuff so I'm not certain of this.)

Now there is a formula for figuring out...based on engine displacement and boost levels with possibly a few other variables...where in that map your current boost level falls. As a matter of fact, I'm going to need to figure out where my boost level falls within this map based on my engine displacement.

That said though, which map is right and are the maps different because the Audi uses smaller displacement engines (1.6 and 1.8L) than the LNF (2.0) or is there another reason? I thought a turbo map was for that turbo and the engine displacement only came into play when figuring out where on the map your current setup falls.

But like I said, I'm still new to this and am trying to figure this out as we go along in this thread too.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Last edited by Robotech; 12-31-2016 at 01:42 AM.
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 05:30 PM

Garage
Oh crap, Robotech, I had you spotted as an expert that I could follow. Now you have cast me adrift.........

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Here ya go:
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...rner+turbo+map
BW even has what they call a "BOT" which is a "fill in the blank" Turbo Selector. If you don't know much about Turbo Maps, you might want to watch the YouTube Vid first.

Yogi

"Black Bart"
2008 Onyx Black Redline with Black Convertible Top
5 Speed Stick
Single Disk Monsoon Sound
Black Interior with Black Leather Seats
GM MB-222 Chrome "Snowflake" Wheels
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks for those Yogi. Now I just have to figure out all the variables for the MatchBot application for the 2.4.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Playing catch up on our forum after a couple of weeks (where does the time go). What a great writeup Robo. I am glad that the demise of my turbo has helped to augment such a great article, that and I know you will breathe life into my old K04 some day. I wish I had cleaned up some of the dirt on the old parts now before you documented them so well! My new K04 is working great

This week my turn signal has stopped cancelling after completing a maneuver, and I have to manually terminate it. Once I get that annoying problem solved I might be giving you some more parts for another writeup!

(UPDATE: Already found articles via our forum on replacing or repairing the turn signal switch. Looks pretty easy )

Cheers

Jim
Techo Gray 2008 Sky RL with Trifecta, DDM bracing/charge pipes and Hanh Intercooler

Last edited by jgassor; 01-06-2017 at 11:27 PM.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Man I hope your woes are at an end. Thanks for the compliments. Had you not delivered it to me in pieces like you did I wouldn't have probably come up with this idea.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:47 PM

New turn signal installed this morning Robo, Found several good articles on our site and ended up using one one written by Marvic which helped me out. Tedious steps are pulling apart the dash trim but got it installed in a couple of hours, now as good as new

See ya soon

Jim
Techo Gray 2008 Sky RL with Trifecta, DDM bracing/charge pipes and Hanh Intercooler
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
How much of the dash do you need to take off? I need to do some under the dash work and would be nice to have someone who has done it before around.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
How much of the dash do you need to take off? I need to do some under the dash work and would be nice to have someone who has done it before around.
Other than the top cover over the steering wheel, everything was below the wheel. Top cover is disconnected but never removed.
  • Removed 3 screws in the knee bolster under the steering wheel
  • Separated top and bottom trim covers around steering wheel (clipped together)
  • Lowered steering height adjustment lever
  • Dropped three "big" plastic pins down by the OBDII (mounted either side) port
  • Took two more screws out left and right of OBDII (but not the ones holding the OBDII in place), took the driver side plastic cover off, which is revealed when the door is open
  • Removed two more screws inside that cover so I could pull the ventilation portion of the dash down
  • Loosened, but did not remove, the two bolts holding the steering shaft to the upper dash (this gives a couple more millimeters and was needed!)
  • Released clips (top and bottom) holding turn signal unit in place
  • Pulled turn signal/lights control out (its still tight but can be done without damage), disconnecting the two electrical connectors in the back

This is Marvic's original post that I followed -->click here

TC's article on removing the dash to get to the stereo covers (excellently!) most of what I had stripped out to get to the turn signal -->click here

I can come down and assist when you wanna do this, making myself useful for a change in your garage

Jim

Last edited by jgassor; 01-09-2017 at 10:37 PM.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
LOL Jim, you're always useful. Yea I want to update my radio surround and maybe paint the center console where it is silver. Still debating.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry to bump an old thread. The description in the first post is super useful, but the images seem to be gone. Robo, would you mind posting the images back up? Thanks!!

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in