Losing coolant? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By The_Ghost

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Losing coolant?

Hello,

Well, I went and did it. I bought a Sky after years of being the guy that always pointed out to people around me "Hey look at that Sky". Since the day I got it home I have noticed a smell of coolant after driving it. I don't see it leaking anywhere on the ground or on the bottom of the car. Twice now I've had to add a bit of coolant to the overflow tank because of the low coolant alarm. The car doesn't seem to be running hot. Usually between 192 and 207 or so. I've read all the horror stories of the water pump failures on this site. By the smell I would think its leaking somewhere and burning off and by the fact that I had to top it off twice now seems to validate that. Anyone have similar issues? What else should I check? Thanks for any advice.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any steam coming from the exhaust?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello. I haven't noticed any steam from the exhaust. Where ever it is going it's at a slow rate. I have to add about .5 cup to the overflow tank every few hundred miles of driving. We haven't seen a leak anywhere and are constantly watching the temp of the car while we drive it. The car doesn't over heat at all.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by taztap View Post
Hello,

Well, I went and did it. I bought a Sky after years of being the guy that always pointed out to people around me "Hey look at that Sky". Since the day I got it home I have noticed a smell of coolant after driving it. I don't see it leaking anywhere on the ground or on the bottom of the car. Twice now I've had to add a bit of coolant to the overflow tank because of the low coolant alarm. The car doesn't seem to be running hot. Usually between 192 and 207 or so. I've read all the horror stories of the water pump failures on this site. By the smell I would think its leaking somewhere and burning off and by the fact that I had to top it off twice now seems to validate that. Anyone have similar issues? What else should I check? Thanks for any advice.
Look at the water pump and see if you can see any orange gel/build up around it. They are known to just weep, which won't leave a puddle... yet.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage
Do a thorough clean of your engine and check all the hoses and fittings for a leak including around the water pump.Hopefully it's not the pump but something simple. Welcome to the form.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorget View Post
Look at the water pump and see if you can see any orange gel/build up around it. They are known to just weep, which won't leave a puddle... yet.
Yep...look around the WP and below it. Orange, jelly-like substance... I had the same issue...no leak, just smell, until one day I saw a spot about the size of a $.50 piece. I drove it for another 400 miles with no issue other then adding coolant about once a week. Then...all hell broke loose. Major catastrophic failure!!! Which they're known to do. I was about 25 miles from home. Had to stop 3x to add coolant on the way home. Finally left the coolant cap loose and made it another 15 miles home. Good Luck!!

How many miles on your car? 2.4 or Redline? It usually happens between 30k and 65k. And a dealer will charge you $1400-$2000....
Robotech likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
I had an issue where I had to add just a little coolant once every 3 or 4 months. I didn't really think much of it at the time until one day I noticed what I thought was some green stuff on the floor. I'm thinking to myself, I thought it was orange, but whatever so I drove to work that morning and back home. The low coolant light never came on so I was puzzled. Also I wasn't driving the car all that often at the time. But then I saw the fluid, and the low coolant light came on, and it was sooner than the 3 - 4 months I was use to seeing so I made an appointment at the dealership and after a day or 2 they discovered the source of the leak and repaired under warranty. No more low coolant lights, and no green stuff on the garage floor. Months pass and driving one day I need to use my wipers and the wiper fluid runs out so I stop by the store a few weeks later to get some to add. Fill it up before driving out of the parking lot and park it in the garage. The next morning I back out to go to work and what do I see? I big green puddle. Warranty (just a few months ago) is up now, but I wish I had thought a little harder about the green fluid not being orange so I could have had the wiper fluid reservoir replaced also. LoL

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in