Saturn Sky Forum banner

Oil Leak

6K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  TomatoSoup 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello guys,

I noticed an oil leak the other day and was wondering if there's another thread that tells where to start looking for the source of it. I did do a search before posting but didn't come up with much. I attached a picture to give an idea of where it's coming from.

It's not leaking a tremendous amount, maybe 3 drops every 3-4 weeks.

Thanks in advance.

I am new, I posted an intro a few weeks ago. I haven't had the car long, but I am enjoying it. - https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f105/new-guy-2007-yellow-sky-94731/

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Gotcha. Thanks !

Wasn’t sure if there was a possibility that someone had a similar leak at some point or maybe these cars had trouble areas.

Therefore that person may know some things to look for before I start checking myself.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I would have to look at the car to be certain, but that area looks to be mostly in the path of something dripping from the filter. Could it be oil that has dripped off of the filter?

That small an amount could just be residual spillage.

Reactions: ddx77
#5 ·
I would have to look at the car to be certain, but that area looks to be mostly in the path of something dripping from the filter. Could it be oil that has dripped off of the filter?
Looks to me to be on the passenger side - away from the filter.

You sure it's oil and not seepage from the water pump?

#9 ·
Just a follow up, and again I want to thank everyone for the replies! And Robotech for the very in depth reply which covered just about every possible leak option. But of course his "Mr Murphy" post sort of applies here, the leak was none of the above. I checked everything but just didn't have the time to get far enough into it.

I ended up dropping the car off at the dealer earlier this week to have the PPS system recall taken care of. I asked the service manager if he could also take a look at where the car might be leaking from. He ended calling me and told me it was the timing chain cover that was causing the leak. The crank pulley was also hitting the cover. They replaced the front crank pulley (which they said was broken), timing chain guide (which they also said was broken) and timing chain cover. They also changed the belt (said it was oil soaked from the leak), power steering hose and top radiator hose.

Luckily the car came with an aftermarket warranty, it covered everything except the belt, power steering hose and radiator hose. I paid for those parts and the dealer got the labor covered for that too.

#13 ·
And that is why...NO ONE can tell u where the oil leak was coming from. No one can view your engine.
Actually we could have added that above had I been paying MORE attention to the photo. While I was right it being passenger side, I had the subframe cross members reversed (should have known looking at the suspension arm). The leak was on the front crossmember which would have ruled out half of what I posted. Front cover or water pump access panel should have been the first place to look...not areas further back. My bad.

#14 ·
Well, oil leak came back. Not quite sure why it wasn't found after they fixed the last leak which they claimed was the timing chain cover.

Anyway, now it seems it's the crankcase seal and oil pan seal. $2,200. quote. After market warranty is picking up $1,800 of it, so I told them to do the work. Last fix was $900 sum odd, which they covered too.

Considering it only cost me $25 to transfer the existing warranty from the last owner, I guess I am still ahead.

#16 ·
I agree, may have been a bad time to bring the car into the dealer. End of month and end of quarter, I already okay'd it so will have to see the invoice. They are claiming it's more labor intensive than anything else.

My gut was telling me to pull it out of there, but I just didn't want to deal with spending my time dealing with it.

#17 ·
I had the same leak I believe. They had the car for about a week while they removed the engine, and whatever else, just to remove the pan, and replace the gasket. All covered under warranty. Since they had everything taken apart already I had them go ahead and do a full tune up. Being as the car was under warranty, and the labor was already covered for the other job, all I had to pay for was parts to get the tune up done while the car was already taken apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.