oil leaking into intake manifold - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
oil leaking into intake manifold

I have a 2.0 redline. i originally thought i had a blown turbo because i had oil seaping out the turbo into the intake tube and coming out the exhaust . So i had the turbo rebuilt. After reinstalling the now rebuilt turbo i started the car and the oil doesn't seep out the turbo as much but comes out the exhaust pipe. I then pulled the new plugs and they were completely fouled. so i figured i needed to do some digging. I found the oil is leaking directly into the intake manifold from the PCV valve port.

Im thinking that i have a blown head gasket or a clog some where in the oil system. has anyone ever had this problem?
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Id suggest installing an oil catch can and see if that helps with the oiling issues.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

I would have done that if it were a small amount of oil. The car will barely start because of the volume of oil going into the intake manifold. even after it starts it dumps oil out the exhaust
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcchevy View Post
I found the oil is leaking directly into the intake manifold from the PCV valve port.
Do you mean the actual PCV valve (on the intake manifold side of the engine)? Or the vent/check valve on the passenger side?

In either case it could just be the valve is gummed open, but the check valve is much easier to remove and is cleanable with alcohol.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Garage
TS, would he get enough oil into the system to foul the plugs though? That's a lot of oil to do that.

Rcchevy, when you get the source of the leak figured out, I'd remove your intercooler and have it properly cleaned inside and out too. If you were getting enough oil in the intake track to gum up your plugs, you're Intercooler may have a nice pool of oil inside it. Definitely something you'd want to inspect.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

oil problem found

After digging into the engine i ended up ripping the head off and found the top of my piston was broke off around the edge. The suttle broken piston was filling the crank with so much oil pressure that oil was leaking oil out of every orifice. At the end of this i had to trash the motor and buy a new one. I had bought the car with a 90 day warrantee. This happened after owning the car for 108 days.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sorry to hear that. I have a feeling though the problem was there before you bought it. To so that kind of damage to an engine, you'd know it. If the piston was chipped I am willing to bet the chipped piece at least damaged a plug and shut down that cylinder until it was replaced or repaired.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
I've seen this issue reported a few times now. The going theory is that GM was too tight on the tolerances for the top ring gap and when it gets hot and expands, it closes tight and pressure twists to crack the top edge of the piston. It's all downhill from there.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Did it look like this:

What TS describes is exactly what happened here. This is out of a 3800 V6. When you had too much cylinder heat, you'd get knock. That knock was the ring gap closing up and the ring expanding then getting stuck at the top of the stroke. When the piston started to travel down in the cylinder, the stuck ring would lift a little bit and snap off that simi-circular section of piston head.

The piston in the center of this picture has had it happen once and you can see the missing piece of piston. This was the typical symptom. If you look to the left of the picture, you'll see another cylinder that had it happen twice. The second occurrence happened right over the ring gap. When that second piece went, it didn't just go right out the exhaust port like most of these failures did. It bounced around a bit in the cylinder and that's what those little silver spots are on the piston head, where that piece of piston was getting chewed up in the cylinder.

If the theory TS is presenting is correct, and I'm willing to bet it is, I would not be surprised if your failure looks similar.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Robotech where did you go to get your custom tune. I just put a LDK engine in with stage 2 cams. I live in San Diego and need to get it tuned.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I'm doing it myself with HP Tuners. I wouldn't be completely sure what you need to change for cams, I'd have to research, but my initial thought is that a VE tune and some timing tweaks might be all you need.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the exact symptoms, did you do a compression test before the tear down?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcchevy View Post
I would have done that if it were a small amount of oil. The car will barely start because of the volume of oil going into the intake manifold. even after it starts it dumps oil out the exhaust
I had this issue is was a blown out piston ringland.Thought it was turbo because it only burned blue when oil heated up, but decided to do a compression test first, was down on #3 by half, put oil in the chamber then the compression went up.. I thought bad rings until I pulled engine apart and found the ringland destroyed on lower side of piston. I just bought a new engine as rebuild was so expensive anyway.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehauk View Post
I had this issue is was a blown out piston ringland.Thought it was turbo because it only burned blue when oil heated up, but decided to do a compression test first, was down on #3 by half, put oil in the chamber then the compression went up.. I thought bad rings until I pulled engine apart and found the ringland destroyed on lower side of piston. I just bought a new engine as rebuild was so expensive anyway.
Damn that sucks. Welcome to the forum though. What are you doing with the old engine?

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 12:18 PM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave@ddmworks
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehauk View Post
Did you have a tune on your car or all stock?

Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
[email protected]
Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 340whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in