Stock Suspension - 2007 Redline - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Stock Suspension - 2007 Redline

Hello all,

A dealer friend of mine found a 2007 Redline for me at a dealer auction. I haven't seen the car in person yet since he's about 3 hours away. After a few repairs he and his mechanic noticed there have been a lot of upgrades including suspension. The suspension upgrades are causing a rougher ride...stiff, feeling each bump & pothole, etc. This will just be a weekend summer car for my wife and I (we live in the DC area) so I'm not planning on racing it or taking to a track. Knowing my wife my friend (and his mechanic) suggested removing the upgraded suspension and going back to stock (or close to it) for a smoother less harsh ride.

The car has about 80K miles and I told the tires are good.

Any aftermarket suggestions? Searching online the OEM parts are hard to find especially the springs. I have zero knowledge about suspensions. Looking for some advice. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum.

I would get pictures of what's on the car as there are a few "upgrades" that can stiffen up the car. There are three braces (Probeam in the rear, backbone brace in the middle running between where the seats would be with the exhaust directly below it) and the Venom brace or cross engine brace in the front (venom brace runs between the engine and radiator...cross engine brace would look like a bridge over your engine).

Swaybars can be swapped out and there are a number of them out there. The OEM bars should have part numbers on them or, perhaps, someone here will know what the Redline's OEM bar diameter is.

Finally are springs and shocks. Aftermarket units are available (separately and as a one piece unit) so pictures would help. OEM shocks are blue and yellow Bilsteins. Stock springs should have an OEM part number on a white decal somewhere but there were three different OEM springs, the FE2 that came on base models, the FE3 which came stock on your Redline, and the Z0K spring package that only came on Solstices but which many have put on their Redlines.

I imagine that if you want to get rid of any aftermarket parts, you could probably post them here for sale with the caveat that the buyer send you the stock unit's they're taking off their car (assuming it's a Redline or Solstice GXP) except for the rear Probeam or front Venom/cross engine braces as those have no OEM equivalent.
marlboromike likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Can you get any details about what was "upgraded"? Keep in mind that, compared with most other cars, the ride is going to be fairly stiff.

FactoryOEM still lists front shocks/springs and rear swaybars but, unfortunately, not the others, but it is a start. https://www.factoryoemparts.com/pont...rn-sky/#page=2

The ProBeam should be left in place as it adds stability without adversely affecting the ride. The BackBone has limited effect, but I do think that it harshens the ride somewhat and I would swap it for a standard tunnel cover if possible. The front "Venom" brace has no effect whatsoever as far as I could tell, so you can leave it or not. It does tend to interfere somewhat with engine service.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
The BackBone has limited effect, but I do think that it harshens the ride somewhat and I would swap it for a standard tunnel cover if possible.
The backbone does reduce twisting flex in the chassis. It's not much, but it certainly would make the car "feel" harsher as this torsional flex does serve to absorb some of the impact of road imperfections.

With the backbone off, after getting three jack stands on the car I'd have to jack up the last (usually rear) corner up just over an inch to get the jack stand on it (mind you this isn't including the extra 1/2" or so you need to position the stand before lowering the car back down on the stand). Now, it's about 1/4" of jacking needed to do the same thing. That's the twisting flex the back bone eliminates.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
The backbone does reduce twisting flex in the chassis. It's not much, but it certainly would make the car "feel" harsher as this torsional flex does serve to absorb some of the impact of road imperfections.

With the backbone off, after getting three jack stands on the car I'd have to jack up the last (usually rear) corner up just over an inch to get the jack stand on it (mind you this isn't including the extra 1/2" or so you need to position the stand before lowering the car back down on the stand). Now, it's about 1/4" of jacking needed to do the same thing. That's the twisting flex the back bone eliminates.
You're correct, but you misinterpreted my comment. The BackBone certainly does stiffen the chassis, so in that its effect is not limited.

Where I think the effect is limited is in improvement of handling. There is no doubt that on an autocross course, or when pushing the car to the limit on a racetrack, the overall effect is generally positive. But most of us, and especially Clifford, isn't doing that, and for those drivers I think the net effect is generally negative. The change to steering from chassis flex is not abrupt and unsettling like the flex that the ProBeam eliminates, it comes on gradually or is just a subtle reduction in cornering ability. The ultra-stiff chassis, however, reacts abruptly to single-wheel bumps, and the result is usually not very fun. On a real-world road I can drive my car faster and with greater confidence without the BackBone than I can with it.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Colter View Post
Hello all,

A dealer friend of mine found a 2007 Redline for me at a dealer auction. I haven't seen the car in person yet since he's about 3 hours away. After a few repairs he and his mechanic noticed there have been a lot of upgrades including suspension. The suspension upgrades are causing a rougher ride...stiff, feeling each bump & pothole, etc. This will just be a weekend summer car for my wife and I (we live in the DC area) so I'm not planning on racing it or taking to a track. Knowing my wife my friend (and his mechanic) suggested removing the upgraded suspension and going back to stock (or close to it) for a smoother less harsh ride.

The car has about 80K miles and I told the tires are good.

Any aftermarket suggestions? Searching online the OEM parts are hard to find especially the springs. I have zero knowledge about suspensions. Looking for some advice. Thanks in advance.
If you find out what upgrades you have in terms of springs, shocks, and sway bars. I have the stock setup with 27k miles. I am in the process of removing the stock stuff and adding aftermarket stuff since I have a turbo package being made for me.

2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Paint: Silver Pearl
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLine08 View Post
If you find out what upgrades you have in terms of springs, shocks, and sway bars. I have the stock setup with 27k miles. I am in the process of removing the stock stuff and adding aftermarket stuff since I have a turbo package being made for me.
Let me get a more information. Thanks!
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Let me get more information and get back you. I appreciate it.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLine08 View Post
I don't have an actual pic, but these are the coilovers on the car currently.

https://www.vividracing.com/-p-15264...xoCuYIQAvD_BwE
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Garage
The ride is most affected by springs and shocks and I have seen people who swap to better shocks repeatedly make the mistake of setting them too hard. If that is the case on your car, you may be able to soften it quite easily. Need to know what kind of shocks you have and if they are adjustable.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
The stock suspension is hard as a rock and bone jarring feeling every small bump.

2007 Silver/Red Sky Redline
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 03:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
The stock suspension is hard as a rock and bone jarring feeling every small bump.
First sports car? The stock suspension settings are actually middle of the road - the factory was shooting for the golden mean of likely owners, which equates to slightly on the soft side for competitive drivers.
mstrjon32 likes this.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Garage
Well now that I have an NA and have driven it a couple of hundred miles. I find it quite responsive and less harsh than the Redline. Not saying I like one over the other, but there is quite a difference.

The princess starts driving it next week. I am sure I will hear how great it is or how bad it is to what she expects. I have all the braces on both Redlines. And could not agree more about the front brace, but do feel the cross engine brace makes the car handle better. Unfortunately they are no longer available

For me the only reason for the backbone is to control the flex, and that is a major weakness of a convertible. The car does flex a lot and my thinking on it is that most experience the door sills lifting up away from the door frame. As the car is twisted over and over it works that area. With the DDM backbone it stops the flex, I don't think the stock ones does the job, but not an engineer.

I have several sets of Redline stock suspension that have less than 20K on them, if you are interested. Will sell them cheap, but shipping would be a mother I am sure. Might be able to box them and put them on a GreyHound. Not sure.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies. What is on the car now are BC Racing Coilovers ZB-01. Pics are attached. Not sure if they are adjustable for comfort. (Hopefully this makes it. I have tries to post a few replies, but they don't make it on the thread).

We found some used OEM's on ebay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized952019072595104210.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	105551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized952019072595104223.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	105553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized952019072595104234.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	105555  

Last edited by Clifford Colter; 07-28-2019 at 09:44 AM. Reason: adding content
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Colter View Post
Thanks for all your replies. What is on the car now are BC Racing Coilovers ZB-01. Pics are attached. Not sure if they are adjustable for comfort. (Hopefully this makes it. I have tries to post a few replies, but they don't make it on the thread).

We found some used OEM's on ebay.
Yes, they are excellent shocks and are indeed adjustable - the adjusters are a bit tight to get at on the rears but still doable. I'd start with them all the way soft and then go from there. Mine are set at 5 clicks and 10 clicks from full soft and I like a fairly stiff ride (I think there are 30 clicks in the range). If the guy that fitted the shocks dialed them in too stiff, that should solve your problem and you'll have much better than stock shocks together with a ride you can live with.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in