Saturn Sky Forum banner

Stripped Camaros in NorCal

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Robotech 
#1 · (Edited)
As if Nancy Pelosi and the PGandE fires and the homeless in California aren't already damaging the reputation of the Bay ...

Now add the problem of stripped camaros all over the place at copart.

It's been an on-going issue for years.

Like this one: https://www.copart.com/lot/56894589

Or this one: https://www.copart.com/lot/48235569

https://www.copart.com/lotSearchResults/?free=true&query=camaro stripped

One of my friends asks me to watch out...

Not that it might get stripped cause its a 2.4 but because I have a desirable car.

#2 ·
I don't think your car is anymore danger than it ever has been. A NA 4 cylinder is not high on the list. Now if it was a Honda, yea you should be concerned. The only interest in that engine or the 2.0 actually would be for the sand rail builders, but due to the age of the cars and the normal mileage associated with it, little to no value. I just gave a running 2.4 engine away. For some reason the guy was going to put it in a Miata. No idea why. According to the shop I deal with their value is zero, can only be sold for scrap.

I just bought a brand new GM crate 2.0 engine for 2300 with tax and shipping included. A friend bought the same engine for 1900 delivered. They included the alternator, all wiring, new HP fuel pump, intake and exhaust.

The camaros are most likely V8's with high end automatic transmissions behind them. That would make them worth money, but buying a stolen engine, you really have no idea what you would get. But LS engines are worth money for sure.

I really would not worry about it Emmett, but I would continue to do what ever you have done in the past to protect it.

#3 · (Edited)
There is no way of knowing my car is a base from looking at it. You'd only know when you opened the hood.

I replaced all the NA trim with redline trim and put on a black street-edition racing stripe. Norm's fenders.

OEM dual exhaust. New black headlights, grille, fog lamp assemblies, inserts. Aluminum alloys. Zinc rotors and OEM brake pads.

All the plastic is new - except for the driver-side door handle. the louvers, the opel-gt grille. Tail lights.

It has complete DDMWorks reinforcement. Thick sway bars in front back and back. And the venom brace and brace package. It has a DDMWorks console and Santana cup holder.

The shifter-center-console was painted piano black.

It has complete OpelGT branding. sills, floormats, grille, wheelcaps, no-logo waterfall, antennae, airbag and rear-facia Opel logo.

It has a new black top and a new windshield (actually installed 2 years ago). New air dam. Added a fly-swatter.

It has a state-of-the art pioneer GPS head unit. Back up camera. A 100 watt amplifier and sub-woofer.

When it's waxed up - most of the time - it turns heads.

Often people ask the year of manufacture. 2007? And my favorite from a cop: What is it? Some kind of exotic sports car?? Oh. Officer. Originally it was a Saturn Sky but I rebranded it into what it really is.. It was designed by GM in Germany. It's like a German-American import. An Opel-GT. You know. Like those mini corvettes in the 70s? Yeah. Same except newer. Like that.

Strangers come up to me and ask me about it. An Opel??. I wax it everyday.

It has a new throttle-body... coils. water pump. new 255 (wide) goodyear tires, thermostat, head gasket. plugs. water reservoir. catalytic converter. alternator and battery. Fresh transmission fluid and power steering fluid. New wheel liners. turn-signal assembly, and dash-cluster. Fresh anti-freeze.

The panel gap between the hood and front-facia was re-aligned.

Next month I'm replacing the hoses with DDMWorks silicon hoses.

Today January 17th was - for me - it's birthday. It's 3 years old.

I got it for 8K and it took 18 months to pay it off. And I have another 7 or 8 K into it.

The way I look at it is I got a 30K car for 16K. Do I have buyer's remorse? I could have purchased a brand-new Kia Sedona for that. Nah. Too ordinary. Lots of trunk space though. I could have bought a 2013 Camaro LT for that.. Nah. I'd aways wish I could have afforded an SS. I did okay. A 2003 Corvette. Maybe. I don't know. It's a Corvette. An old Corvette isn't as nice to look at as a Sky. Too classy. Too one-percenter. (That's bad in beautiful woke Northern California).

Because of all the DDMWorks stuff - it's a heavy car now. It feels BIG. And - it handles pot-holes about as well as any car that has 18" rims. When I bought it every once in a while it'd pot-hole at 80+ and bounce around and then: what-was-that? Shhh. Daaang!! What about the smooth ride of that Sedona? Yeah. Okay. Yes. Remorse. Repent.

Oh. Speeding tickets don't count. Last one was 71 in a 50. Tickets.. A Sky owner's driving hazard. I deserve it. That's what I get for abusing my car. Stupid lead foot. We're commuting. Slow down. Drive SAFELY. Uh huh. Next. Do it again. Is anyone else constantly impressed by their automatic transmission?

When the new site is ready I'll post a few pics.

#5 ·
I agree. Thieves steal and strip cars to get parts that they can sell, and nothing in a Kappa is really worth stealing.

Historically, the most-stolen cars are appliances like the Honda Civic, because there are a bazillion of them on the road and there is always a need for parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.