Testing water pump - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Testing water pump

I am having an overheating issue and I am starting to think that my water pump isn't working right. It seems like I'm just not getting water flow on the back side of the pump. Can I just take the line off that runs from the tube on the back of the water pump to the heater core and see if I am getting any flow?

Things I have tried -
What's in the DDM bleeding video
What's in the MikeMartin bleeding video
Bought a vacuum fill tool and used that
Replaced thermostat (that does appear to have been stuck, when I put it in water it didn't open until the water was at a rolling boil)

I am wondering if something like this happened:
https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f...ml#post1191826

No matter what I do I don't get any heat, either.

Thanks,
Douglas
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Garage
I seem to recall another thread and it would have probably been best to continue it there. If you're getting no heat and the car is overheating you have a flow issue. Since you replaced the thermostat, the pump or a blockage in the system would be the next culprits.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I seem to recall another thread and it would have probably been best to continue it there. If you're getting no heat and the car is overheating you have a flow issue. Since you replaced the thermostat, the pump or a blockage in the system would be the next culprits.
Yeah, I mentioned my overheating in Need2Speed2's thread when discussing the dash warning light but this is the only thread I have on it and don't want to jack his.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorget View Post
Yeah, I mentioned my overheating in Need2Speed2's thread when discussing the dash warning light but this is the only thread I have on it and don't want to jack his.
Ahhhh yes...then this is appropriate.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorget View Post
Ahhhh yes...then this is appropriate.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Water Pump Whine

I just had my water pump replaced after finding a large puddle of coolant in the garage in the morning. Left it with a local mechanic. When I picked it up and started it the dreaded whining was there. I gave him the keys back and said the timing chain tensioner needs to be reset (as per the various feeds on this and other forums). He said to just drive it and it will get better. I said I'll send you the feeds, TSB and various other material when I get home. Still waiting to hear from him.

Porsche Karmin Red, Magna-flow Quad tip exhaust, RPM CAI, DDM Backbone, Windristrictor
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojam35 View Post
I just had my water pump replaced after finding a large puddle of coolant in the garage in the morning. Left it with a local mechanic. When I picked it up and started it the dreaded whining was there. I gave him the keys back and said the timing chain tensioner needs to be reset (as per the various feeds on this and other forums). He said to just drive it and it will get better. I said I'll send you the feeds, TSB and various other material when I get home. Still waiting to hear from him.
That's the thing, mine isn't leaking or else I would be just replacing the water pump.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:58 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojam35 View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to hear from him. You've already gotten his answer. Time to escalate if you can, but if you already took the car home you are probably SOL.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to hear from him. You've already gotten his answer. Time to escalate if you can, but if you already took the car home you are probably SOL.

From reading his post, I got the impression he just started the car, heard the whine, shut it down and handed the keys back immediately.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:20 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
From reading his post, I got the impression he just started the car, heard the whine, shut it down and handed the keys back immediately.
While I had a different impression, but, on re-reading it, I do believe you are correct. He did not drive the car home.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
A little off track question but as the second owner of a 2007 Sky redline that I purchased from a dealer several states away from me, is there an obvious way to tell if my water pump was previously replaced? I do not have the prior service records and the car is around 40k miles.

Thanks
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:19 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjohn2018 View Post
A little off track question but as the second owner of a 2007 Sky redline that I purchased from a dealer several states away from me, is there an obvious way to tell if my water pump was previously replaced? I do not have the prior service records and the car is around 40k miles.

Thanks
If the water pump was replaced by a GM dealer, it should show up if a current GM dealer searches the service history. If it was replaced at a non-GM service site it may show up on a carfax report.

Who knows? you may get lucky, you may not!

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
GM vs AM

Is there any big advantage of a GM vs aftermarket? The GM versions all seem to fail so not seeing big advantage.

Porsche Karmin Red, Magna-flow Quad tip exhaust, RPM CAI, DDM Backbone, Windristrictor
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
It would be very very rare for a water pump to fail in a mode to where it quit pumping water. You probably just have air in the system.

Larry
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I took the hose that runs from the tube that runs from the tube that runs under the turbo to the heater core, started the car and no coolant came out.

Hooked up the vacuum bleeder, made all kinds of gurgling noises from that hose and when I plugged it with my finger there was suction.

Filled the hole with coolant until it started to dribble out of the heater core, put the hose back on and started the car. Let it warm up to 130 or so and no warm air out of the heater.

Out of ideas as to what to check at this point outside of starting to tear it down to replace the water pump...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190613_200333.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	105359  

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in