Tips or tricks to getting crank pulley off? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnWR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Tips or tricks to getting crank pulley off?

Hey guys, I am doing the timing chains and having a heck of a time getting the crank pulley bolt loose. My impact hasnt done anything (its using a u joint and extension so not max leverage) and I am hesitant to use my 3ft breaker since the pulley itself is very hard to brace. Any ideas? Ways to brace pulley better to prevent engine from turning backwards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage
How many miles on your car and why do the timing chains need replacement? You need to remove enough parts from the front of the car to fit your impact on correctly shroud fan and maybe the rad,not sure but on any car I have ever worked on you need the space in front of the engine to loosen the crank pulley bolt without turning the engine.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
The "proper" way to brace the engine is with a tool that locks into the starter teeth on the flywheel.

Auto or manual? With a manual it worked for me to put it in 5th gear with the parking brake set.
Amorget likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
The "proper" way to brace the engine is with a tool that locks into the starter teeth on the flywheel.

Auto or manual? With a manual it worked for me to put it in 5th gear with the parking brake set.
Manual. There is still some give in the crank, I put it in 5th and set the brake. It is close to 45* before it really catches. Right now it is at TDC, but i can always reset it. I am pretty wary of reverse rotation from a previous timing job that didnt go well on another car.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by copdriver91 View Post
How many miles on your car and why do the timing chains need replacement? You need to remove enough parts from the front of the car to fit your impact on correctly shroud fan and maybe the rad,not sure but on any car I have ever worked on you need the space in front of the engine to loosen the crank pulley bolt without turning the engine.
Trying to make sense of this response...I have taken the fan off, along with shroud, the crank bolt and pulley/dampener need to come off in order to access the timing cover. A basic impact wrench and socket does not fit, which is pretty typical for most cars ive worked on. I need to brace the pulley/dampener.

Car has 75k and timing is off due to a slip when replacing tensioner. Asking specific question for a specific reason
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockchops View Post
Manual. There is still some give in the crank, I put it in 5th and set the brake. It is close to 45* before it really catches. Right now it is at TDC, but i can always reset it. I am pretty wary of reverse rotation from a previous timing job that didnt go well on another car.
I did mine several years ago so the details are a little fuzzy, but I am pretty sure that I didn't have 45 degrees of rotation.

I don't see how any rotation of the crank, forward or reverse, can cause a timing slip unless the timing gear is loose, and it should be keyed to the crankshaft. If it isn't, or if the chain is so lose that it can jump a tooth, you have bigger problems anyway.

John
Lexington, KY
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

The chain jumped on one of the cams (think it was intake) so it ran but kinda crappy and threw codes. I am biting the bullet and replacing/retiming it. The play is in the driveline and not the chain -- the clutch, trans, etc just isnt 'tight' enough to hold the engine from turning a little bit. Every writeup and service manual I have seen has explicitly mentioned not to turn the engine counterclockwise but also not mentioned how to knock the crank bolt loose.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:23 AM

The factory service manual didn't mention it in the removal instructions, but the tool specified in that manual will prevent any motion, so maybe it wasn't thought necessary.

To take the slop out of the driveline you could push the car against engine compression until it is tight, then set the brake.

While I agree it can be a risk to rotate the engine backwards, I do not think that a partial movement will hurt anything. Of course, it isn't my engine ......

John
Lexington, KY
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Trying to make sense of this response...I have taken the fan off, along with shroud, the crank bolt and pulley/dampener need to come off in order to access the timing cover. A basic impact wrench and socket does not fit, which is pretty typical for most cars ive worked on. I need to brace the pulley/dampener.

Car has 75k and timing is off due to a slip when replacing tensioner. Asking specific question for a specific reason
Having read your post you mentioned you tried an impact wrench with u joint and extension which is why I suggested making more space in front of the engine.As far as asking mileage most chains don't need to be changed,you didn't mention in your original post that the timing was off due to an error replacing the tensioner so if that seems to be a wrong question I apologize.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by copdriver91 View Post
Having read your post you mentioned you tried an impact wrench with u joint and extension which is why I suggested making more space in front of the engine.As far as asking mileage most chains don't need to be changed,you didn't mention in your original post that the timing was off due to an error replacing the tensioner so if that seems to be a wrong question I apologize.
Fair enough, I was admittedly a bit cranky (ha) after the bolt got the upper hand. My thinking is the chain slipped a tooth due to stretch or worn guides in the first place, and the proper way to retime requires aligning the crank pulley too. Either way, its coming off so might as well replace.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Are you doing this on a hoist? If not, you almost have to remove the radiator and shroud. I approached mine about 2 months ago, thinking my vibration was a skipped link in the balancer chain (if you are in there replacing the timing, do the balancer too!) and put my car back together after a tech friend looked at it and told me I was nuts to try and do it without a hoist and help! So it's back together and I've figured out what the vibration is....it wasn't the balancer!!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
Are you doing this on a hoist? If not, you almost have to remove the radiator and shroud. I approached mine about 2 months ago, thinking my vibration was a skipped link in the balancer chain (if you are in there replacing the timing, do the balancer too!) and put my car back together after a tech friend looked at it and told me I was nuts to try and do it without a hoist and help! So it's back together and I've figured out what the vibration is....it wasn't the balancer!!
I am doing it on ramps, but I did get the bolt off this morning. Basically said screw it and used the flex bar with the car in 5th. The engine did end up turning maybe 10* counter rotated but thats it. Now I gotta dig out my puller...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I am doing it on ramps, but I did get the bolt off this morning. Basically said screw it and used the flex bar with the car in 5th. The engine did end up turning maybe 10* counter rotated but thats it. Now I gotta dig out my puller...
You shouldn't need a puller to get the crank pulley off
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Job done, purring like a kitten again. I did need to use the puller for the crank, mine was stuck on there. The car was sitting for a while, so not too surprised. I ended up using zipties to secure the crank to the puller, worked well.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Good ole zipties haha

Pat

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in