Tranny and diff oil change - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Tranny and diff oil change

I just got my Sky SE. it has over 130,000 miles on it. My husband thinks I should have the auto trans oil and differential oil changed since we have no idea when or if it has ever been done. I can see changing the tranny oil but can not find any info in the maintenance info of needing to change the diff oil ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Cheap insurance and easy to do. Put back end up on jack stands, loosen fill plug first to make sure it comes off. Put pan under drain plug.

Put drain plug back in.

Takes 1.16 quarts. Add a limited slip additive if required, or buy a fluid that has it already.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Yes I would change both fluids here. 100k + it's time. Cheap insurance for top down fun later. With not knowing the previous owner or maintenance done I would consider changing all the fluids at this point. Brake fluid, Radiator fluid, power steering fluid. Could be costly to do, but the alternative is way worse here.

I have done the diff fluid change with additive recently. About to do the brake fluid soon, and my car is not anywhere close to 100K. It is more than 10 yrs. old now though and fluids do break down with usage. I have noticed a slight difference to the rear end performance/sound since the fluid replacement.

If you DYI it you will save $$$. Dealer service charges can be expensive, IF you don't want to risk the agony and pain by doing it yourself? However if the dealer screws things up, it's on them, not you... know what I mean? Your auto trans fluid should have been changed at 100K recommended by the owners handbook, per the factory... fluids, belts & hoses, bushings, brake pads, tires the list is endless for replacement items, The To Do List for every owner.

Depending on time and funds available I would suggest a plan on what's first on your list? Having a dealer tech look at things while it's up in the air might reveal more things that might need replacement on 130k worth of usage? Proper lifting when at the dealers, use the pucks... will save your front quarter panels from cracking.. which can be painful and expensive to repair.

Speaking of expensive.. I'm about to have my entire brake system overhauled soon this June.
What fun sitting at the dealers for half a day or more but... I will stop better when it matters and piece of mind down the road for me,
and any future owners on what maintenance has been done so far to this car.

Auto trans first, then the rear diff, then the radiator fluid next would be my suggestion. After that up to you what on the To Do List for your car.

LAC

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in