Saturn Sky Forum banner

Trunk mod for more space

6K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  JohnWR 
#1 ·
When I had my 2007 Sky there was an article by a fellow who created a mod that expanded the trunk space. He basically built a box that he dropped thru the trunk floor by the hinge. Does anyone remember this mod?

#5 ·
TS; the ground clearance would really be lost with that arrangement, plus it stands to reason the pipes are going to be below the bottom of the car for some distance under the car. Don't think that sounds so good and would look ugly. I'd probably be more successful in training the other half to change her packing ways and just stay with capacities of the car that currently exists. Furthermore, our SKY has a matching trailer and it takes care of more than is even needed. The Solstice hitch was not so good, hung way down in sight. Won't do a hitch on the Coupe. Long trips are the SKY and trailer.

#7 ·
TS: That sure shows the solution to my concern. Would a view horizontally of the car sitting on the street be as clean as today's Kappa's with a stock GXP and/or Redline dual system? (no pipe or muffler in view all the way to the rear exhaust tips) Are there many out there that have made that modification? This is the first time I've heard of that approach. Does look expensive though.

Couldn't help but notice that swing arm lift and it's lift points, front and back. I'm beginning to think that it is a grab bag out there and few shops use the rail puck lift points (my impression). When my shop worked on my SKY rear differential, I asked them to use the rail points, and they did. And it worked out fine. Discount Tire always does too, my request. Oh well, ...

#10 ·
Well apart from the effort and expense, the main con is that you have to source and install a new exhaust with smaller dual mufflers that are routed along the sides of the trunk. The stock muffler is right where the trunk drop would be. At one time, there was a vendor that made such an exhaust system, but they closed up production many years ago.

#12 ·
I had my tank out, and took advantage of that to do this mod. I have an RPI dual resonator exhaust, so no issues there... though I did see someone extend the trunk and keep his stock exhaust (just didn’t go as deep).

One day I’ll post a thread on mine and how I did it... one day...
😞

He’s a progress pic I found on my phone that shows the direction I went.

#15 ·
I def need to post a thread up on this, and will def let you know when I do.

When I started with the pieces in place, I stood inside the trunk on the extension, and had a tiny bit of flexing. Once I seam sealed and riveted is all, I tried it again and it was as solid as a rock.

Once I finished, I showed it to a friend and he commented that he’ll never understand why the Sky received trunk supports, but that the Solstice had not. Not sure why I didn’t remember that, but if I were to do it again, I’d keep my extension dimensions the same, but delete those supports.

You know... now that I type this up, I think I just might still do those support deletes. Need to think about it a bit a little more and see...