Turbolag between shifting gears - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to ceeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bun1t View Post
How would a stiffer spring cause turbo lag?
I'll need more proof to believe this one!

Doesn't make any sense too me!

Silver/RL 2007 - Red/Black Leather
DeJon CAI, IC Pipes
Magnaflow, Opel Badges, Tail Lights, Back Up Light.
Hahn Intercooler, Westers Race Tune.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
maybe if the original spring seat pressure is 20 pounds and the dejon one is 23 ish??....that when you lift up on the throttle, backpressure has to increase that much more before it unseats recirculates causing boost/spool drop vs the stock spring releasing sooner. Even with the vacum assist a stiffer spring would still fight. i still feel i get a benefit of not haveing my xtra boost from my tune not bleed off at wot(23 lbs) as it does with the base spring(20 lbs)...more reason for an aftermarket reciculating bov....my best guess.

2007 Midnight Blue Redline
Manual Trans
Westers Race Tune
Hahn Intercooler
GMPP Catback Exhaust
ReBar
DDM Race Backbone Brace
JPM Shifter
Sprint Booster
K&N Filter
Stubby Antenna
Redline overlay on 3rd brake light
BMW LiftPucks 4the BLIND
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich71 View Post
maybe if the original spring seat pressure is 20 pounds and the dejon one is 23 ish??....that when you lift up on the throttle, backpressure has to increase that much more before it unseats recirculates causing boost/spool drop vs the stock spring releasing sooner. Even with the vacum assist a stiffer spring would still fight. i still feel i get a benefit of not haveing my xtra boost from my tune not bleed off at wot(23 lbs) as it does with the base spring(20 lbs)...more reason for an aftermarket reciculating bov....my best guess.

your thoughts are very similar to my understanding bro.

But was there a proof that the base spring bleeds off?

COMPOUND TURBOS (GT2860r & GT4294r) build, goal= 800hp

CAR:
https://www.facebook.com/SKY888CompoundTurbo

SPONSORS:
BTF, Nitrofreeze, Split Sec, Turbosmart, K1, Supertech, DDM, WERKS, Solo Performance, Aeroforce, Forgestar, Burns SS, TurboWerx
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 04:01 PM

the only proof i saw was on the boost gauge. with the stock spring, the boost would go up to 23 then drop around 20-21, even with the tune. with the stiffer spring it read 23 and stayed there and only flicked to 22 under the same conditions. when i mean same conditions, i mean wot to readline for the first 3 gears. I run out of room for 4th. 3rd is the gear that has enough pull that i can see the most steady boost on the same section my "closed course" per say....ramp to the expressway ie not enough speed limit to redline 4th.

Manual Trans
Westers Race Tune
Hahn Intercooler
GMPP Catback Exhaust
ReBar
DDM Race Backbone Brace
JPM Shifter
Sprint Booster
K&N Filter
Stubby Antenna
BMW LiftPucks 4the BLIND

Last edited by rich71; 11-19-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: correction of facts
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
the only proof i saw was on the boost gauge. with the stock spring, the boost would go up to 23 then drop around 20-21, even with the tune. with the stiffer spring it read 23 and stayed there and only flicked to 22 under the same conditions. when i mean same conditions, i mean wot to readline for the first 3 gears. I run out of room for 4th. 3rd is the gear that has enough pull that i can see the most steady boost on the same section my "closed course" per say....ramp to the expressway ie not enough speed limit to redline 4th.

ummmm......

I have the wester's hot tune meant for water/methanol........and I have the dejon spring. My tune is a lot more aggressive than yours. It goes to 23psi.....and still goes down to 20-21psi. sorry.....if it stays at 23-24 psi for more than a few seconds...you go into limp mode.

Even other cars with race tunes.......nobody can hold their boost to 23psi. They go down and hold their boost to 20-21psi.....even with the dejon spring!

COMPOUND TURBOS (GT2860r & GT4294r) build, goal= 800hp

CAR:
https://www.facebook.com/SKY888CompoundTurbo

SPONSORS:
BTF, Nitrofreeze, Split Sec, Turbosmart, K1, Supertech, DDM, WERKS, Solo Performance, Aeroforce, Forgestar, Burns SS, TurboWerx

Last edited by SKY888; 11-19-2008 at 05:51 PM.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
lol wut?

The spring keeps the bov closed and the vacuum just keeps it closed until you let off. Having a stiffer spring would only help keep the bov closed and boost from seeping through.
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

I don't know why but with the Dejon spring I had a lot of turbolag between shifting and with oem spring turbolag is as good as gone,really a big difference.
I'll measure my time with a performance meter from 100-200km,with the Dejon spring it was around 15 seconds so I'll let you know what time I can run with the oem spring...
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 08:13 AM

What i meant about the vacum and the spring is when you lift the throttle, the vacum fitting behind the spring also helps open the valve(i think) and having a stiffer spring can only work against opening the bov as fast, therfore increasing the backpressure on the turbo before it finally opens.....and the boost i am getting on my gauge is at 22-23 and drops down to 22 but i run out of road to keep going so i attributed the drop on that.......as far as the spring, it seems to increase the boost numbers on the top end. The thing is having higher boost on the top isn't as important is having more boost more often when shifting ie accelerating...sky 888..your car is already a monster, can't wait to see your ride when finished(if a car can ever be finished)... My car is put up til spring so I can't play until then.

Manual Trans
Westers Race Tune
Hahn Intercooler
GMPP Catback Exhaust
ReBar
DDM Race Backbone Brace
JPM Shifter
Sprint Booster
K&N Filter
Stubby Antenna
BMW LiftPucks 4the BLIND
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 10:51 AM

It's not turbo lag. It's yor good buddy the BCM preventing you from wheel hopping the shiesse out of this car. I have logs where I have speed shifted in .3sec. It takes the BCM a full second to roll the throttle plate back in. Unfortunatly there's nothing to be done about it. THe turbo is boosting it's ass off But it doesnt mean beans if the throttle isnt open.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 09:03 PM

with the dejon spring my car will boost up to 20-21 then drop to 13 then build back up(stock tune), it did the same thing with the stock spring, i dont think theres a noticable difference between the two. i need to put my stock spring back in and see if it feels faster.

GM Stage 1 Tune|Solo Street Race Exhaust With Magnaflow Mufflers|GMR 8K HIDs|Parking Light Leds|License Plate Leds|Little Chromies|3rd Brake Light Vinyl:REDLINE|GMR Pulsating and Sequential Taillights|
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Today I did some testing with a performance meter from race logic :

With Dejon spring from 100km/h till 200km/h took 15 seconds

With oem spring from 100-200km/h took 13 seconds

Building boost up after shifting is a lot faster with oem spring...
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie View Post
Today I did some testing with a performance meter from race logic :

With Dejon spring from 100km/h till 200km/h took 15 seconds

With oem spring from 100-200km/h took 13 seconds

Building boost up after shifting is a lot faster with oem spring...
Maybe you didn't read BTF's post. Its not the spring. I've no lift shifted and still had turbo lag. The torque management is causing it.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 10:29 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Won't it be neat when the tuners figure out the Cobalt SS no-lift-shift program in the ecm and adopt it to the GXP/Redline ??????

Redline (pre-halt), Pearl, Black/Red,
complete option list except auto,
owner installed lock buttons,
painted calipers, SP Catless DP
MagnaFlow 3" single cat-back,
Koni S/A's, Kurt hitch,
18x11 CW's, 315/30 Hoosiers for Solo
other "stuff"
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaponbob View Post
Won't it be neat when the tuners figure out the Cobalt SS no-lift-shift program in the ecm and adopt it to the GXP/Redline ??????
There's a small chance that's possible to do now, i haven't tested it yet but probably will.

2008 Solstice gxp
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaponbob View Post
I doubt the tranny would handle it for very long.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in