Ultimate SKY Stereo Thread - Page 18 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #256 of 274 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
I agree but remember, no matter what speakers u install, our cars are not soundproofed. Top down driving blurs out everything...even with your top up, noise penetrates.
If you have a decent interior volume you can attain some surprisingly good sound in a vehicle, but we are talking large sedan or minivan size to do that. You just can't get really high quality sound in a small space, especially pne with an open top or soft top.

Original stock speakers in auto sound systems are generally very cheap - you are lucky to see a driver that costs as much as your weekly coffee budget, so upgrading the speakers is the biggest step up.

Mike is quite right about the challenging environment a car presents and I have limited myself to speaker upgrades for that reason, unless the electronics happen to be egregiously bad in a particular car.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #257 of 274 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Mike is quite right about the challenging environment a car presents and I have limited myself to speaker upgrades for that reason, unless the electronics happen to be egregiously bad in a particular car.
There is at least one car I can think of with that situation...
post #258 of 274 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 02:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
I absolutely agree that a vehicle with a voluminous closed interior has an advantage over our tiny space. However, being able to turn up the volume can overcome the wind noise. I don't know who on our forum has a motorcycle, but I do. The 4 6.5" Polk audios that I have on my bike pointing directly at my face are loud and clear at over 100 mph. My Sky setup now has speakers on the A-pillar that cannot be muffled by wind noise. I added an extra 6.5" in the door for even more high and midrange db. The subs that are 4" away from your back are omnipresent. So, top down=no problem. Picture turning up your headphones to drown out noisy people.
post #259 of 274 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
What kind of amp setup do you have? Did you have to make any adjustments under the hood to compensate for any additional current drain, or is the alternator and battery able to keep up?
post #260 of 274 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 04:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by idle-mind View Post
What kind of amp setup do you have? Did you have to make any adjustments under the hood to compensate for any additional current drain, or is the alternator and battery able to keep up?
See post 246-forward for setup. All stock on alt/batt. Bass is turned way down. But when thumping hard, system will dim lights For now, at the levels I play it, it is fine. A capacitor would help it though.
idle-mind likes this.
post #261 of 274 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 04:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
See post 246 and forward for setup. Stock Alt/batt. System will dim lights when thumping hard. At the normal level I play it at, all is fine. A capacitor would help for those 'special' songs.
post #262 of 274 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 04:40 AM

Garage
At the levels I use, all is fine. However, The bass is turned WAy down. A capacitor would help as on those 'special songs, it will dim the lights. I have a cap that is on the do list.
post #263 of 274 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 04:44 AM

Garage
Setup starts at post #246 . Alt/batt is stock. At the levels I play, all is fine. However, on those 'special' tracks, the bass will dim the lights. A capacitor would help for that. I have one waiting to go in.
post #264 of 274 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 04:51 AM

Garage
post #265 of 274 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 04:55 AM

Garage
At the levels I'm using, all is well. However, the bass is able to dim the lights on those special tracks. A capacitor would help with that. I have one waiting to be installed.
post #266 of 274 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
You know? You should buy a capacitor! That might help.

Actually, all seriousness aside, would a capacitor really help? I can't see how it's charge would not stay level with the battery voltage. Unless the battery to capacitor circuit has appreciable resistance, or you have a diode between them. Please report back when you install, and tell it if really does help.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #267 of 274 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by epooh1 View Post
See post 246-forward for setup. All stock on alt/batt. Bass is turned way down. But when thumping hard, system will dim lights For now, at the levels I play it, it is fine. A capacitor would help it though.
Cool. I couldn't tell when looking at the spec sheet for the sub, but are those single or dual vc? I'm guessing single, hooked up in parallel?
post #268 of 274 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:57 AM
ZPM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Garage
You'll note in amp specs that they're rated for 12v and 14.4v, with the lower rated power at 12v. This is because the input voltage is stepped up a fixed amount internally and 12v is a lower starting point. Your alternator is keeping you at 14.4v and it's slow to react to voltage drops. So, it comes down to the battery to keep you above 12v on heavy bass notes. Batteries are pretty fast but nothing like a capacitor.

During heavy bass notes you will drop below 12v until the battery reacts. This reduces amp output just when you need it most. Putting a capacitor as close to the amp as possible helps keep the voltage up until the battery can react.

The goal isn't to keep the lights from blinking, but to keep the amp's input voltage as near optimum as possible. In fact, to hell with the lights, you want the cap's power going to the amp, but that requires a high current diode and we're getting into industrial hardware there. So, the convention is to put the cap on the amp with just a few inches of heavy cable and just lose some power to the car itself.

Shot of it is, a cap will help the blinking lights some but the real benefits is stronger bass performance. I've installed lots of caps in the past but have never felt the need to use one in any of my personal vehicles. I've done A/B comparisons with factory vans and it makes a difference, but I never run that many bass amps at once and prefer the simplicity of a heavy power cable run directly to the battery instead (and accept any minor power reductions I incur).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post

Actually, all seriousness aside, would a capacitor really help? I can't see how it's charge would not stay level with the battery voltage. Unless the battery to capacitor circuit has appreciable resistance, or you have a diode between them. Please report back when you install, and tell it if really does help.
idle-mind likes this.

2008 Redline powered by a zero point module
post #269 of 274 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:59 AM
ZPM

Garage
If you're talking about the stock sub setup in the sky, it's dual voice coil at the speaker end. However, I've never been able to locate a schematic of the Monsoon amp so I can't say how the voice coils are wired. From the amp chips the Monsoon amp uses I'm almost certain they are tun in parallel with 50w RMS to each coil. The parts spec out that way, and, this ties in with the factory claimed amp power output. Otherwise, it'd be 50w short of what's claimed.

Quote:
Cool. I couldn't tell when looking at the spec sheet for the sub, but are those single or dual vc? I'm guessing single, hooked up in parallel?
idle-mind likes this.

post #270 of 274 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:19 AM
ZPM

Garage
Typically, amps are rated at 12v an at 14.4v, with the lower output being at 12v. During heavy bass notes system voltage will drop below 12v since a car battery is slow to react, reducing power output just when you need it. A "bracing" capacitor in close wiring proximity will hold voltage above 12v until the battery reacts. This is their real function. Helping prevent car lights from dimming is a matter of the cap holding system voltage up in general, unless you have a high current diode in place to prevent it. In reality, you want all the power going to the amp and not caring about the lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in