UPDATED 3/1/2018 GM Issues a Recall of the Passenger Presence Sensor! - Page 67 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

126Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #991 of 1022 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1771 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
When a replacement mat is installed, doesn't the installation include the reinforcing tape?
The new ones do include the reinforcement tape.
stungjoe likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1022 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Garage
Both of mine have failed. I got them to replace the yellow car one with a new cushion and the tape. The green car is seldom driven and went over the year limit. It was a bull **** fix from the start. Hell it might have held up better if they had used duct tape. Both of my cars combined in the last year may have 500 miles on them. It is not a question of when the fix will fail, it is how soon after their obligation to it is up.
post #993 of 1022 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
FYI X-post...

With colder weather coming, I got around to replacing the seat heater mat on the passenger seat (that the dealership removed when doing the recall). For all yo'all edification, I took a photo of the mat that the dealer installed - since I haven't seen anyone post theirs after the recall. This was a full mat/cushion/tape replacement, not just the tape application. Note that the reinforcing tape is marked "IEE" - so GM must have stood them up for the repair.

NOTE: from the slightly offset hole punched at the top (back) center, it looks to me like the tape was added during the manufacturing run, NOT at the dealership when installing the replacement. Hmm, not what I/we were led to believe.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...

Last edited by TomatoSoup; 09-09-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 1022 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
FYI X-post...

With colder weather coming, I got around to replacing the seat heater mat on the passenger seat (that the dealership removed when doing the recall). For all yo'all edification, I took a photo of the mat that the dealer installed - since I haven't seen anyone post theirs after the recall. This was a full mat/cushion/tape replacement, not just the tape application. Note that the reinforcing tape is marked "IEE" - so GM must have stood them up for the repair.

NOTE: from the slightly offset hole punched at the top (back) center, it looks to me like the tape was added during the manufacturing run, NOT at the dealership when installing the replacement. Hmm, not what I/we were led to believe.
It is normal practice for the original supplier to provide the parts for warranty replacement (which is what a recall is) unless for some reason they are unable to do so. Who else would even be able to do it without a significant investment of time and money?

I obviously can't speak for all suppliers, but I know that if we have a part failure we provide the replacement part(s) at our cost.

The original plan clearly was for the dealership to apply tape to the un-reinforced replacement sensors that were already in GM's supply pipeline. Assuming that IEE actually did apply the tape it suggests that they have now gotten tooled back up to make new sensors. It makes sense that they would supply them complete with the tape to eliminate the possibility of one getting installed without it, and this is good news about the continued (for a while at least) availability of replacement sensors.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #995 of 1022 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
It is normal practice for the original supplier to provide the parts for warranty replacement (which is what a recall is) unless for some reason they are unable to do so. Who else would even be able to do it without a significant investment of time and money?
Well, I guess that's obvious, right? I was pointing out that yes, GM *DID* get IEE to stand up, and *DID NOT* foot the bill for the parts themselves, not even the tape.

post #996 of 1022 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Well, I guess that's obvious, right? I was pointing out that yes, GM *DID* get IEE to stand up, and *DID NOT* foot the bill for the parts themselves, not even the tape.
Actually, the parts coming form IEE does not necessarily indicate that GM didn't pay for them, that would be determined by a negotiation between IEE and GM and could range anywhere from one or the other paying everything or a sharing of the cost between them.

John
Lexington, KY
post #997 of 1022 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
John's right. I'm sure GM and IEE negotiated a certain percentage of monetary responsibility for the recall parts.

I was wondering at what point the new replacement mats would go from old stock getting tape added to the mats and new stock with the tape added from IEE. Figure we have seen the change over.

The biggest problem I still see is adding the tape to a used mat.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #998 of 1022 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:00 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
John's right. I'm sure GM and IEE negotiated a certain percentage of monetary responsibility for the recall parts.

I was wondering at what point the new replacement mats would go from old stock getting tape added to the mats and new stock with the tape added from IEE. Figure we have seen the change over.

The biggest problem I still see is adding the tape to a used mat.
Just had good news....I had a passenger weighing about 175 lbs in the seat....he got out and no idiot light. The tape held. LOL. It was a new seat installation and not just the tape.
post #999 of 1022 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Garage
If it does NOT render the car inoperative, what is the problem to having it broken?

Jim Isbell....2008 Sky Redline

"I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees" Gen Emiliano Zapata
post #1000 of 1022 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRL View Post
If it does NOT render the car inoperative, what is the problem to having it broken?
Well for one thing it can block sending cars across international borders. One guy lost a sale on the cars before GM came up with a solution because there was an unfulfilled recall on the car. Silly, as all cars on both sides of the border were equally affected.

As a recall was never issued in Europe for the Opels, I suppose you could import one of them without issue. Crazy, no?

Oh yeah - and the other reason is that unless you get your passenger to sign a legal release, they can sue your ass off if they are injured in your car if it has an inoperative bag that you were aware of.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #1001 of 1022 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Well for one thing it can block sending cars across international borders. One guy lost a sale on the cars before GM came up with a solution because there was an unfulfilled recall on the car. Silly, as all cars on both sides of the border were equally affected.

As a recall was never issued in Europe for the Opels, I suppose you could import one of them without issue. Crazy, no?

Oh yeah - and the other reason is that unless you get your passenger to sign a legal release, they can sue your ass off if they are injured in your car if it has an inoperative bag that you were aware of.

OK, then I guess I am home free. Mine is NOT broken, no one sits in the seat, and I dont intend to sell the car but instead to put it in orbit around Mars with my dead body in it.

Jim Isbell....2008 Sky Redline

"I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees" Gen Emiliano Zapata
post #1002 of 1022 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRL View Post
I dont intend to sell the car but instead to put it in orbit around Mars with my dead body in it.
We will be there saluting, as the rocket takes off!

post #1003 of 1022 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 10:31 AM

@Robotech : A member of the Solstice forum had the reinforcing tape applied under the recall and had a failure shortly after. He was then told that the cost of replacement was $1000. My understanding is that the reinforcing tape has a 1-year, 12,000-mile warranty. Is this correct, and is it documented? I have looked through what i can find and have not yet found anything conclusive.

John
Lexington, KY
post #1004 of 1022 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
@Robotech : A member of the Solstice forum had the reinforcing tape applied under the recall and had a failure shortly after. He was then told that the cost of replacement was $1000. My understanding is that the reinforcing tape has a 1-year, 12,000-mile warranty. Is this correct, and is it documented? I have looked through what i can find and have not yet found anything conclusive.
YES, it does have a 1 year warranty. This is from the NHTSA site and is an official GM document:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...7V061-0612.pdf

Note the following under the correction section:

Quote:
Please note that GMs standard 1 year/12,000 mile service part warranty applies to both the sensor mat and the reinforcement strip, regardless of which repair procedure is used. If only the reinforcement strip is installed, and the sensor mat fails during the 1 year/12,000 mile warranty period, the sensor mat and the reinforcement strip should be replaced free of charge.

I'll go respond on the Solstice forum.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #1005 of 1022 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
@Robotech : A member of the Solstice forum...
First time on the new Boogie fancy smancy Solstice forum. The new interface is slick.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in