very slow overheat/ ticking - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
very slow overheat/ ticking

so ive been reading through this forum since i got my 07 redline in january and its been a huge help, from everything to the turbo going out, intercooler getting clogged and my hpfp leaking into the valve cover. for this issue im having some trouble though. ive been chasing an overheating issue for a few weeks now as well as an exhaust leak, ive fixed one of the exhaust leaks, the other one i believe is coming from where the turbo meets the cat, im just waiting on the gasket to ship. after that quieted down i noticed my ac never really blows cold, whether its on, off, or in any position. i know i should pull a vacuum and then fill it with freon in it but im hesitant to do so because when i hear the clutch engage this ticking sound gets louder, and when it disengages it disappears unless the rpms are above about 1500. the higher the rpms are the louder and more annoying it gets. it sounds like a lifter tick on steroids. the other issue is the overheating, it used to run about 190-201. a few weeks ago i noticed the car suddenly shot up to 251, so i pulled the thermostat and it had lost its inner seal, all the peices of that were going through my cooling system. i replaced that and it was fine for about a day before my water pump have up. after replacing that and flushing everything seperately to get all of the little rubber bits from the tstat out. (except the turbo which i had forgotten to flush) after that, and fixing the main exhaust leak im still having issues with it getting up to operating temp, staing there for a minute or two no matter my speed, then slowly making its way up about 10-15 degrees, evening out for a few minutes and then slowly climbing and stopping again. ive tried running it at high rpms, low rpms, high speeds, idling, bleeding the system and nothing seems to be helping me. ive been fighting this thing for almost 3 weeks straight and things keep going wrong im towards my wits end here and could really use some help. i apologize for the long post but if yall need any more info or have any ideas ill do my best to stay online as much as i can. thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

this is on my 07 red line btw, its a manual with 137k, solo 3 inch single straight pipe racing exhaust, rpm motorsports high flow cat, trifecta tune, and a custom cold air intake from the guy who owned it before me, everything else is stock
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Garage
This is a strange one. The ticking could be your AC clutch or something like that but it could be more sinister too. If you can possibly isolate where in the engine bay it's coming from that would be a huge help.

As for the overheating, I'm not sure you currently have a problem It sounds like after the flush the issue is you can't get it up to temp. Almost sounds like your thermostat may not be able to close completely making it hard to build temp.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

ill look into the ac clutch, the sound is loud enough that me and a couple of my friends that have tried to find the sound cant tell exactly, its either coming from the front of the engine or from the turbo, its hard to tell. with the overheating issue, i should have clarified that it gets up to temp with no issue, about 190. but a few minutes after that it climbs to around 210 then stays there, then 220 and stays, so on and so forth. lets hope its not something more sinister lol
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
If you turn your HVAC temperature control to hot do you get really hot air? Is the engine cooling fan running?

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amunit View Post
ill look into the ac clutch, the sound is loud enough that me and a couple of my friends that have tried to find the sound cant tell exactly, its either coming from the front of the engine or from the turbo, its hard to tell. with the overheating issue, i should have clarified that it gets up to temp with no issue, about 190. but a few minutes after that it climbs to around 210 then stays there, then 220 and stays, so on and so forth. lets hope its not something more sinister lol
Ah...that makes more sense. Really sounds like a thermostat issue but you just replaced it. When mine went, it did stuff like that. Could also be air in the system from when you changed the thermostat. You may want to try to rebleed the system and see if that helps.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Ah...that makes more sense. Really sounds like a thermostat issue but you just replaced it. .........
It wouldn't be the first new part to fail out of the box.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
It wouldn't be the first new part to fail out of the box.
Very true. Just seems like something is either interrupting the flow or generating more heat than normal at certain times which is what's causing the heat to rise and the hold, rise then hold. Not many things on this car present like that beyond a leaking thermostat.

With the other thermostat losing its rubber seal, I wonder if that seal isn't sitting somewhere in the coolant system acting like another thermostat. While he said he flushed the system to get all the pieces out, he did miss the turbo and it does have water cooling. Not sure if that's enough to cause a 10 degree "step" and then not let it cool back down but it is possible.

Just really spitballing at this point.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Did you use an ACDelco thermo??? A well known aftermarket provider, as well as others here, have stated that you MUST replace it with a true ACDelco... That others tend to give issues.

It does sound like the new thermo is bad....

You said it takes a few minutes before it rises??? Did you follow the DDM procedure to get the air out??? And it actually had a "fountain" of coolant for several seconds? If not, you have a bubble yet. Don't drive it till you get the fountain to come out of that nozzle....It took me at least 6 times before I got the fountain!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

so i was looking at the fan, i ran direct power to it from the battery and it spun up plenty fast enough. that leads me to believe that its could be the fan control module. another thing is i used a murray temp control plus thermostat both times.(oreillys) the one that was in there when i bought the car at 123k was original. im not sure about the specific bleeding procedure yall are talking about but to bleed it after the water pump and tstat i hooked a brake bleeder to those thin hoses that run across the top of the engine into a T and them to the reservoir. i flushed and backflushed everything except the turbo before i put the new tstat in and that produced a lot of black rubber bits and shreds. if there are still any in there, theyre stuck good. i used distilled water for the flushes, cept the engine i used 50/50 because i ran out of distilled water. ive done the thermostat so many times it doesnt take me more than 30 minutes to change it, not including bleeding the system after. it may be worth changing out again.

Last edited by amunit; 09-19-2019 at 11:51 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:23 PM

Here's the coolant bleed, not sure what you're talking about.... If you aren't getting that waterfall...you have a bubble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF5Ka4oeCxA

Last edited by The_Ghost; 09-20-2019 at 10:26 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

thanks for that video link, i thing i got all of my bubbles out messing with it this morning before work. another thing i totally blanked on till now is my cooling fan, i read on a couple other forums on this site that the fan module from a 2007 crown vic fits almost perfect and its a good 125$ cheaper than the one for my car, from what ive seen. thats coming in the mail on monday, it only cost me about 30 out the door. ill keep yall updated if that fixes the issue. if it doesnt, ill try and acdelco thermostat, and bleed it again
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

alright yall i got it figured out, sorry for the late update things have been crazy lately. the ticking was my ac compressor being low on oil from a leak on the low side,(that explains why i was having trouble locating the sound, it was coming from underneath. after i put the car on a lift i found it in a minute or two) the leak was the schrader valve, i changed that and flushed the system and after recharging it the ticking was gone. the bolts that hold the cat to the rest of the exhaust keep working themselves loose, that was fixed with some red locktite. the last issue i had with the overheating problem was the fan control module pigtail on the fan side, which sucks because i found out after replacing the module with one from an 07 crown vic. im waiting for a new pigtail to ship but for now i fixed it with some solder and dielectric grease. i believe im good for now on that, but now ive got p2178 for the third time, although the last 2 times a bad o2 sensor giving off crap readings was to blame. if its more than an o2 sensor ill let yall know. thank for your help, i never would have checked half the things i did if yall hadnt suggested it
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 09:16 PM

Well....it's hard to diag the HPFP unless you have hptuners or your pump just plain quits working, which I haven't heard happen on a Kappa yet... Cobalt yes.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

my hpfp went bad a while back, it worked for the most part, it just had a slow leak of gasoline into the valve cover lol. if i remember right it was p2178 that got me looking into that. i noticed my oil smelling like gasoline when i did an oil change and after some research i figured that out, im not sure if that helps too much. other than fuel leaking into places it isnt supposed to the only thing i can think of is low fuel pressure at the rail.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in