Why do I have better performance after MAP Sensor Failure? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Why do I have better performance after MAP Sensor Failure?

So...as the title says...I have a trifecta tune and Solo highflow cat. Lately I've had a wierd issue with a kind of "hesitation" at WOT above 5000rpms. The car would pull hard then get to a point above 5000 and stop pulling then start pulling hard again etc.

It's very weird no codes not missing logged etc.

Well the other day I get a p0107 MAP sensor error code. My DIC doesn't show boost, but I feel it pulling hard. I decided to hook my Torque pro up to monitor KR and Boost etc., and sure enough I was getting between 23 psi to 26 psi and the car was pulling very hard all the way through to redline! Before the MAP sensor error I was getting between 21psi to 23psi and I would get that slight hesitation issue above 5000rpms.

In addition, I checked the KR information and I was also getting much less KR as well!!!!

I'm just wondering if anyone has an explaination for this, or if anyone else has had a p0107 and noticed much better performance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
What happens if you reset the MIL? Do you have any other faults?

The sensor is clearly working, or you would not be able to read the manifold pressure, so it is likely an intermittent problem.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Garage
What MAP sensor are you using out of curiosity?

Because the torque app is reading boost level from your ECM. Stock MAP sensor is a 2.75 bar which is only good to 25-26 psi (rounded up). You may be out of the range of the MAP completely and not know it if there is a bigger issue. If you have 3 bar MAPs installed, and the tune is setup for them (which I would think it should be) then that boost reading is probably reliable.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
What happens if you reset the MIL? Do you have any other faults?

The sensor is clearly working, or you would not be able to read the manifold pressure, so it is likely an intermittent problem.
What about an intermittent connection issue? Like a wire broken inside the insulation or plug? A good long scan with a raw MAP Kpa reading would help determine that.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
What about an intermittent connection issue? Like a wire broken inside the insulation or plug? A good long scan with a raw MAP Kpa reading would help determine that.
Exactly what I was referring to. An intermittent broken connection or short, since either could pull the signal voltage to a low level. The same thing could cause the hesitation if it happened at the right time.

John
Lexington, KY
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

I'm using the stock map sensor. The hesitation is consistently right above 5000 rpms. I almost don't want to reset it because it's pulling so hard lol. Apparently this p0107 happens a lot to people with a tune kappa or cobaltss. Everyone who has had it says that the dic won't show boost but that it's def pulling hard. It's just weird that this code causes it to run better...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 08:00 PM

According to the manual, setting the fault doesn't do anything, it just informs you that the sensor voltage was less than 0.19V for 4 seconds continuous or 50 seconds cumulative.

John
Lexington, KY
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Sorry...just read it wrong, was trying to watch TV and read your original post....I got nothing....
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
According to the manual, setting the fault doesn't do anything, it just informs you that the sensor voltage was less than 0.19V for 4 seconds continuous or 50 seconds cumulative.
I guess that's my question. Basically why am I not getting the hesitation and why is my car pulling harder now that the code was thrown...thats what I'm not understanding.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 09:00 AM

Do you have a means of reading the freeze frame data? That should give you some insight into what is going on.

As I read the documentation, the fault you are seeing requires two consecutive drive cycles to set the DTC and turn on the MIL, and three consecutive drive cycles without the fault will automatically reset the DTC and turn off the MIL.

Do you run WOT every time you drive the car? If the problem only occurs then, you may have been cycling between a pending code and no code, but finally the odds, and your heavy foot, caught up with you. It would be interesting to see what 3-4 drive cycles without WOT does. It would also be interesting to see what resetting does.

The manual is usually pretty good about describing all of the actions taken when a fault occurs, but nothing is perfect. It also can't take into consideration what gets changed with a tune. If this is a tune-specific condition you need to be talking to the tuner to find out what they do to affect it. Re-writing data tables can have unintended consequences, and this just may be one of them.

John
Lexington, KY
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Do you have a means of reading the freeze frame data? That should give you some insight into what is going on.
This is why I mentioned scanning and getting raw MAP KPa information. John is spot on...you need to do a scan looking at a lot of different information to get a better picture of what is going on when the problem occurs.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Is that information I can get from torque pro...if so what would I be looking for..
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 10:23 AM

I don't know if Torque will read freeze-frame data. I looked at a couple of OBD2 app reviews and none of them said that it would. If it will it should be in the diagnostics section.

Freeze-frame is nice because it captures a single moment of data when the fault is triggered, so it saves sorting through a lot of scanned data. On the other hand it doesn't tell you what led up to the fault, so scanning is valuable too. Both together is amazing.

John
Lexington, KY
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Well...I did upgrade to the Trifecta Custom Tune and did a datalog BEFORE the code was thrown, but the hesitation was occuring then as well. Maybe they will be able to see something and let me know....
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
Well...I did upgrade to the Trifecta Custom Tune and did a datalog BEFORE the code was thrown, but the hesitation was occuring then as well. Maybe they will be able to see something and let me know....
Was it occurring before the tune, then you put the tune on, and it continued to happen?

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in