WOT Hesitation Above 5k RPMS With Intermittent Boost On Stock Tune - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech Advertisement

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Robotech
  • 1 Post By MattM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
WOT Hesitation Above 5k RPMS With Intermittent Boost On Stock Tune

I'm posting a new one here, because I think I'm narrowing down part of my problem.

So when I turn the tune off and run on stock tune and then go WOT I get that same hesitation above 5000rpms as previously described, but with the stock tune my boost will jump around intermittently (like go from 16psi down to 12psi up to 14 then 16 etc.).

This is all happening at the same 5000rpm plus hesitation point I described in a previous thread.

I'm wondering if that sounds like a boost leak/intercooler problem/wastegate issue to anyone? The boost doesn't fluctuate nearly has badly when the trifecta tune is enabled it stays between 23 to 20 psi.

Has anyone else had anything similar happen?
Modify message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1702 Post(s)
Garage
If things are jumping around, seems like a leak to me. However, you should see it regardless of the tune. Is it jumping around across the RPM range or only above the 5,000 rpm mark?

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

It's only above 5,000 rpms. It starts right when I start feeling that hesitation type feeling where it lets up some and then starts pulling again. I think it is happening with the tune enabled, but I don't notice it as much as long as the boost stays at 20psi or above. Really now that I think about it...it is doing the same thing. It starts off with the tune at 23psi then goes between 20 up to 21 etc. So really it is still doing it now that I think about it.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of thing. I would think with a boost leak it would just continue to be lower. Is this also a symptom of something being wrong with the wastegate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Could be timing. Are you scanning your car at all? I mean, a stock tune shouldn't have those kinds of knock issues to pull timing to be that dramatic but could be.

Problem is I can't remember what we covered in your other posts. Always better to continue those so we can go back and reference what we've already covered.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Here is a 4th gear log. You can see it fluctuates some (with the tune on) and no KR. I'm wondering if I have a wastegate actuator problem. I'm having a garage check my intercooler piping for leaks next week as well.

4th Gear Without NLS.doc
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
It is hard to read that log as the resolution is only So So. The hesitations may be happening so quickly that we're missing them in the log. Nothing really looks out of place other than the drop in timing at the end of the run.

Actually, what's up with your throttle position? If your foot is to the floor, that should go to a value and never change. It's bouncing between 68 and 69%. That's odd.
a280z likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Hmmmm....if the ecu doesn't think I'm gong to wot bc of the throttle signal would that cause a hesitation and intermittent boost readings..
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Holey crap I'm reading about tps sensor symptoms and surging etc.. It sounds really close to my symptoms! I wouldn't think a slight fluctuation would cause that though...Hmmm..I might try that as a quick fix.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
Holey crap I'm reading about tps sensor symptoms and surging etc.. It sounds really close to my symptoms! I wouldn't think a slight fluctuation would cause that though...Hmmm..I might try that as a quick fix.
That slight fluctuation could definitely be felt at WOT as a "hesitation". Worth a shot as that's the only thing really sticking out at me in your scan. That throttle position value shouldn't change at all once that pedal is pushed to the floor.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

I'm wondering now if it means my TPS is going back or there is a wiring issue somewhere. I would think if the TPS was going bad it wouldn't cause a slight change in the WOT percentage like that. It almost seems like noise somehow.

Robotech, could you ask some of your HP Tuner friends if they've ever seen a fluctuating WOT percentage like this in a datalog and what it cause as well as what caused the symptoms? Maybe they would know....
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Robotech, could you ask some of your HP Tuner friends if they've ever seen a fluctuating WOT percentage like this in a datalog and what it cause as well as what caused the symptoms? Maybe they would know....
I can but you can too. I'd contact Dave Gilbert with PAW or Martin Scott with RPM and see if they have any insight to that. That's who I'd be asking (though technically I think they pass on those questions to their tuners. LOL) You could also ask Dave with DDM Works but he is pretty busy with the Slingshot platform or Bill Hahn Jr. but he'd busy dodging hurricanes sooooo. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I can but you can too. I'd contact Dave Gilbert with PAW or Martin Scott with RPM and see if they have any insight to that. That's who I'd be asking (though technically I think they pass on those questions to their tuners. LOL) You could also ask Dave with DDM Works but he is pretty busy with the Slingshot platform or Bill Hahn Jr. but he'd busy dodging hurricanes sooooo. LOL
I sent an email. I just figured you knew some people on the HP Forums who would be able to lend some insight. I doubt I would get as detailed an answer etc...as you would probably be able to get.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I sent an email. I just figured you knew some people on the HP Forums who would be able to lend some insight. I doubt I would get as detailed an answer etc...as you would probably be able to get.
With something like this that may be specific to the Ecotec platform, doubtful. I don't operate over there very often and when I have, it's not like here. Just too many things going on to be involved like I once was.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Well I just bought the trifecta custom tune that allows you to catalog and send in for further tuning. Maybe they will find out what's commanding that relative throttle to fluctuate.

I've heard if it was something outside of the ecu like a sensor being faulty it would typically through a code, but this never has so it's probably some part of the tune commanding the relative throttle position to fluctuate.

In any event I'm going to add the accelerator pedal position to my torque pro datalogs to see if I can see the difference there.
a280z likes this.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in