Breaking: Penske Cancels Plan to Buy Saturn - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
SKYRoadster News News related to the Saturn SKY as well as site news. Only Administrators may create new threads in this section.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to SoCalSkyRyde Send a message via Yahoo to SoCalSkyRyde
ALSO FYI: I don't know if anyone uses the service or not, but I just visited the GM Owner Center website (http://gmownercenter.yahoo.com/portal/landingpage.php) and found out that it's being shut down IMMEDIATELY! As in TODAY IS THE LAST DAY to access your account! Bummer... I kinda liked having my OnStar, XM & Service Records all in one place; now I'll have to visit them all separately.
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 10:25 PM

I must say that I'm pretty surprised by the huge backlash and the comments about never buying another GM vehicle again. I love my sky and so far my dealership experience has been fantastic. We all knew Saturn's only hope was for the Penske deal to go through. Unfortunately it didn't, it comes as no surprise that GM is shutting the brand down.

As far as the techs go they will probably get rehired at other dealers since Saturn shared so many platforms with the rest of GM. If you can find where your favorite tech lands go there.

Yeah it sucks, but it is hardly the end of the world

-INFO2X

2009 Sky RL 5 Spd

I am a GM engineer, my comments are my own. I am not responsible for your actions.
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybuy View Post
got a Cadillac dealer right by me, would be cool to take the sky for servicing there... great waiting room, much nicer than my saturn dealer....
I wonder how many Cadillac and Chevy dealers are going to crack the side panels on the kappas before the word gets out on the lift requirements.

2008 Redline Auto
Born 7/20/07
Snagged 8/31/07
Released 8/8/15
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 10:40 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Yeah....but I think it does show the passion that Saturn owners have always shown for "their" brand. Saturn owners have historically been VERY loyal. Hmmmm, imagine that. You treat people well, and they remain LOYAL. I am a big supporter of GM. But, I have been very critical of GM throwing out Saturn. The Saturn retailers are the best that GM has. Period. With so many horrible GM dealers, it is a shame to not close a few of them down and give their franchise to the closest Saturn retailer.

I also do not blame GM for having to pull the plug on Saturn. As I have explained in the past, it cost the exact same amount of money to develop the Saturn Aura as it did to develop its sister car, the Chevrolet Malibu. However, the Aura was sold last year at the 300 or so Saturn dealers. The Malibu was sold at the 8,000 Chevrolet dealers. There is NO WAY each Saturn dealer could sell enough Auras per month to equal how many Malibus could be sold by the 8,000 Chevrolet dealers. SO, you develop only the Malibu now. Also, when you had the Saturn Aura and Chevrolet Malibu, you had to pay for advertising for BOTH, but knew you were only going to sell a fraction of the Aura. And just think, GM also had the Pontiac G6 with the exact same issue, but at least there were enough Pontiac dealers to be able to sell it in a lot more volume.

So, what I am saying is.....Saturn was doomed by its low dealer count. By bringing cars in from Opel, GM was trying to make a business case by not having to develop cars just for Saturn.....Too little, too late.

2006 Deep Solstice NA...Traded in for:
2009 Sky Redline Ruby Red Limited Edition
5 speed manual/rear spoiler added/6 disc/Monsoon
GMPP Tune/MBRP Charge Pipes/DDM Backbone & Probeam/K&N Drop in/HIDs
*Thank You Bob Lutz* And Wilmington UAW 435
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 10:43 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
GM is toast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by info2x View Post
I must say that I'm pretty surprised by the huge backlash and the comments about never buying another GM vehicle again.

As far as the techs go they will probably get rehired at other dealers since Saturn shared so many platforms with the rest of GM.
GM screwed up. Time to pay the piper.
Forgive and forget? No way!
Will be looking at previously owned vehicles in the forseeable future.

With GM closing dealerships across the country;
where are all those techs going to find work
or whose job are they going to take?

T ~ In hoc signo vinces
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Well, when you work for a Saturn Retailer, this hit home in a whole different level...

WTF now???

BA...

2nd SKY: (Lucy)
2008 RED on Red/Black Lthr
RedLine
Delivered - 7/14/08
Loaded
Auto
3" Magnaflow, GMPP Tune,
Lil Chromies & CAI

1st SKY: (Traded)
2007 Silver Graphite
RedLine
Loaded (-6CD)
post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Wow, this was my second Saturn and I agree with most of you, I loved the treatment I got at Saturn of Mesquite, I really feel for those people that will lose jobs....sad sad sad...
Rebekkah

WindRestrictor®
Use code "Forum Member" save 10%.
Windrestrictor®
Click Here For Info
972-487-5987
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 12:13 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Was just intereviewed by the local news here in San Diego about Saturn shutting down. I think that alot of people were hoping that they would stay open if only for the great team at the dealerships. The rumored fact the Penske was going to rebadge a french cars did not sit well with alot of us, BUT, knowing how the dealers sales and service team went the extra mile to satisfy customers, I would have bought from them.
Well, as a Saturn owner since my first SL in 1993, thru my 3rd Sky, guess I will go back to Ford, as long as the are still mostly made in America.
post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 12:14 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Just who pulled the plug on Saturn?

Andrew S. Ross

Wednesday, September 30, 2009
The folksy image of GM's Saturn resonated with many Bay A...

For East Bay Saturn dealer Inder Dosanjh, it finally is the end. As the franchise representative for dealers in 15 Western states, he pushed as hard as anyone to keep Saturn alive. But GM's out-of-the-blue shutdown announcement Wednesday ended all hope. "I was very surprised. I was shocked," said Dosanjh, who always believed the brand would survive even as its parent shriveled.

So what, or who, was the straw that finally broke Saturn's back?

I'm told it was Nissan Motor Co.'s board of directors, which refused to sanction a deal to supply Saturn's would-be savior, Roger Penske, with a line of new Saturns once Penske's company, Penske Automotive Group, took the reins from GM. Penske officials, explaining why they abruptly pulled the plug with GM, said a deal to make Saturn cars with another manufacturer, which it did not name, had been turned down by the manufacturer's board of directors. Penske was known to be talking with Renault-Nissan.

"This is very disappointing news and comes after months of hard work by hundreds of dedicated employees and Saturn retailers who tried to make the new Saturn a reality, GM CEO Fritz Henderson said in a written statement. Heartfelt, I'm sure, but it also makes for one less competitor in GM's smaller world.

It's also a sad coda for a brand that was especially popular in the Bay Area, and whose folksy, made-in-the-USA image was crafted by legendary San Francisco adman Hal Riney. "It's a sad day for Saturn, sad for its customers, for the dealers and for employees," said Dosanjh.

"But we're blessed that GM is still in business," added Dosanjh, who like most other Saturn dealers has hedged his bets by incorporating other GM brands into their dealerships.

Black w/Red Leather
Auto
XM
LSD
Monsoon
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
I wonder how many Cadillac and Chevy dealers are going to crack the side panels on the kappas before the word gets out on the lift requirements.
Well...it's going to be the owner's responsibility to educate our new service centers...

Paul in VT

I used to own an ant farm but had to give it up. I couldn't find tractors small enough to fit it.
-- Steven Wright
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffInDFW View Post
Yeah....but I think it does show the passion that Saturn owners have always shown for "their" brand. Saturn owners have historically been VERY loyal. Hmmmm, imagine that. You treat people well, and they remain LOYAL. I am a big supporter of GM. But, I have been very critical of GM throwing out Saturn. The Saturn retailers are the best that GM has. Period. With so many horrible GM dealers, it is a shame to not close a few of them down and give their franchise to the closest Saturn retailer.

I also do not blame GM for having to pull the plug on Saturn. As I have explained in the past, it cost the exact same amount of money to develop the Saturn Aura as it did to develop its sister car, the Chevrolet Malibu. However, the Aura was sold last year at the 300 or so Saturn dealers. The Malibu was sold at the 8,000 Chevrolet dealers. There is NO WAY each Saturn dealer could sell enough Auras per month to equal how many Malibus could be sold by the 8,000 Chevrolet dealers. SO, you develop only the Malibu now. Also, when you had the Saturn Aura and Chevrolet Malibu, you had to pay for advertising for BOTH, but knew you were only going to sell a fraction of the Aura. And just think, GM also had the Pontiac G6 with the exact same issue, but at least there were enough Pontiac dealers to be able to sell it in a lot more volume.

So, what I am saying is.....Saturn was doomed by its low dealer count. By bringing cars in from Opel, GM was trying to make a business case by not having to develop cars just for Saturn.....Too little, too late.
Jeff, I agree with what you're saying, the business case for Saturn was never great. I'm sure you'll find plenty of people that will say that Saturn should never have really existed. Saturn's sales peaked in 94 or something like that (it was awhile ago is my point), and has been steadily declining so I'm not sure how loyal all of those customers were, obviously those on this forum are among the more loyal.

Closing the Saturn dealer network has never sat right with me either since they do seem to have great service (well most of them). I like your idea of moving franchise agreements around. The question is the reason these dealerships so much better because of the management team behind them? or the fact that they were Saturn dealerships. I think it's the management team so perhaps some of the leaders will get picked up by other GM franchises, it may be a pipe dream but I can hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyVue2 View Post

I never said all of the techs would get hired. Most service centers are currently understaffed as it is and coupled with the fact that most people are keeping their cars longer the demand for service is up, so the chances that good techs are rehired is probably better than some other industries.

-INFO2X

2009 Sky RL 5 Spd

I am a GM engineer, my comments are my own. I am not responsible for your actions.
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 06:51 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

What a year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulChristenson View Post
Well...it's going to be the owner's responsibility to educate our new service centers...
In the last year I've lost my Dad, a huge chunk of my retirement savings and now my friends at my Saturn Dealership!

What's gotten me through the first two losses has been my little Sky. When things get real bad, I just drive and it's like all is great in the world.

What I still have is my little baby, and all the wonderful friends I have met here on the forum and on my many rides across this wonderful country with people who share a passion for a beautiful car and the joy of driving under the open sky. Memories that will always be with me.

Since October 2006 (wow has it really been three years?) I've had to educate a lot of Saturn mechanics about the finer points of the Sky model.

Long as this site continues and we have access to posts on how to perform certain repairs, my job will be a lot easier.

Just remember to wave when I drive by ya!

CS
Plate: CHGO SKY
See you in the Windy City.
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hybirds are more of "halo" like the Corvette is to GM. Neither make money but the trickle effect through GM from the Corvette can be seen in the Kappa platform which is just a mini vette by looking at hydro form rails and the upper and lower A-arms.

Bloomberg reported this morning that China is car shopping. They bought Hummer, went in with Koenigsegg to buy Saab, and will probably team up with someone for Saturn as long as GM agrees to keep them open beyond 2011. Otherwise they'll end up just like Pontiac.

Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdoc777 View Post
Well I read another report that GM is loosing money on every new hybrid car they make. So GM probably will be shutting it's doors soon as well.

07 Hahn boosted - 44 mpg - 40 mpg with air conditioning on.
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyVue2 View Post

Amen. GM starved Saturn innovation and it survived because of buyer loyalty despite them. Trying to forgive GM was made a bit easier over the Summer when it looked like Penske was going to save it. The stupidity and arrogance they displayed over the last few years (or even decade) is too much. Whitacre arrogantly walking around challenging me to find a better car in the ad is a huge turnoff. Union management deserves credit here as well, but those who will suffer are the 13000 wage earners. They will have to go to other companies because GM dealers can't absorb them. At this point, GM looks like a ship going down. No way I'll buy unless they put so much incentive on the hood that the front springs bow (mental image borrowed from thetruthaboutcars.com).

One wonders if GM could have made the Penske deal work by supplying vehicles longer. Perhaps the Gov't said no but until I hear different I blame GM for the damage done to the lives of 13000 people. Fritz and company can pound sand. I wonder if we'll end up like Cuba with 50 year old Saturns running around the South.

White Manual RL w/ Tan Top/Seats; GMPP Tune; Solo HF Cat/Mach; Foose Nitrous 20" wheels; Dejon IC/ pipes/intake/elbow; DDM Calipers/Backbone/Pro-beam; many JPM tan alcantara accents
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 09:11 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
my first thought!

Yellow Sky Redline
Delivered: 11-17-2006
As of 10/16/2017: 79,000 miles and a GMPP tune
Tune back soon... resurrection is taking place.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > SKYRoadster News & Polls > SKYRoadster News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in