Breaking: Penske Cancels Plan to Buy Saturn - Page 4 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
SKYRoadster News News related to the Saturn SKY as well as site news. Only Administrators may create new threads in this section.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bad service

i donot feal bad about saturn closing because my dealer and i did not get along they damaged my sky ,fixed it damaged it again ,fixed it and than said i should be more thankful to them for fixing it, it took 2 yrs for me to get my car back to where it should be , the only 3 times i was happy is when i picked the car up , found a gm dealer to service my sky ( and there doing a good job) and when i heard there closing . good luck
post #47 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Take it from someone that spent the last 25 years of his life rebuilding the same old car over and over again, you can always find parts.

The Sky will be a walk in the park, compared to my last project. 1. I am starting with a new car. 2. 50% of the parts on the Sky are shared by a variety of other vehicles. 3. There are already aftermarket companies building replacement body panels, made out of fiberglass.

The only elements that are truly unique to the Kappa are the frame and body. The likely hood of the frame getting damaged enough to not be straightened, is pretty darn low. And body panels can usually be repaired/straightened in most cases. Just a matter of how much money you want to throw at it.

If you enjoy the car and are willing to accept these new realities, don't worry about it. If the thought of having to deal with a potential repair down the road is to concerning, sell the damn thing. At the end of the day, it is just a car.

Welcome to the world of owning "A Classic", which just means "no longer made".
post #48 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 12:35 AM

Serves us right!

Serves us right for buying American. We have 3 Saturns that are still under extended warranties. (Ion , Aura, Sky) My wife and I have commented for years about how American car manufacturers have focused on big dollar trucks and SUV's. It is no surprize to us that the once Big 3 got into so much trouble. We expect nothing but trouble with our warranties should our 3 Saturns break. We will really miss our dealer. They went way out of their way to treat us well and were a pleasure to deal with. Our dealer has numerous employees who have been with them for over 20 years. Our sympathies go out to them. We will have to think long and hard before we ever buy another American car. If GM had not been so grossly mismanaged this would never have happened. We feel that Saturn was never advertized by GM like it should have been.
post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 04:45 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick gibbs View Post
Serves us right for buying American. We have 3 Saturns that are still under extended warranties. (Ion , Aura, Sky) My wife and I have commented for years about how American car manufacturers have focused on big dollar trucks and SUV's. It is no surprize to us that the once Big 3 got into so much trouble. We expect nothing but trouble with our warranties should our 3 Saturns break. We will really miss our dealer. They went way out of their way to treat us well and were a pleasure to deal with. Our dealer has numerous employees who have been with them for over 20 years. Our sympathies go out to them. We will have to think long and hard before we ever buy another American car. If GM had not been so grossly mismanaged this would never have happened. We feel that Saturn was never advertized by GM like it should have been.
Our dealership has announced that their employees will be moving to other dealerships owed by the same person. so instead of getting service at my Saturn dealer I will just move over to their Chevy/Caddy dealership. You will not have any problem with your warranty. Remember President Obama Guarenteed GM warranties would be good....

Tim
Johnson City, Tenessee
Former proud owner of 2 Skys 2007 and 2008
NOW a Proud owner of a 2012 Chevy Camaro!
But I still love Skys!
post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMan 08 View Post
Our dealership has announced that their employees will be moving to other dealerships owed by the same person. so instead of getting service at my Saturn dealer I will just move over to their Chevy/Caddy dealership. You will not have any problem with your warranty. Remember President Obama Guarenteed GM warranties would be good....

I feel soooooooo much better now, thank you SkyMan.
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 10:00 PM

Yes,
Nothing against president Obama, but unless it's in writing and backed by congress (who hold the purse strings and decide where money is spent), it's really not something you can bank on, kinda like campaign promises.
If GM goes under, which I think is very possible in 2010, we will all be on our own as far as warranties are concerned.

That said, who really cares?
Like GS stage 1 said, there are plenty of parts and especially aftermarket parts, so if something goes out on one of my Skys at that time, I'll upgrade whatever has failed with better/higher performance parts
post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
LOL

Sky's are getting so cheap you can buy a couple for parts. Found a brand new 07 in San Diego for $20k. And the fire sale has not started yet. They will go down to $15k which will drive down the price of used vehicles. I predict that before next spring you can pick up a spare Sky or two over the winter dirt cheap.
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
no need getting upset

No need in getting upset over something none of us sky owners can change. Saturn is done, the sooner we accept that fact and move on, the better. We all bought Skys because we loved the feeling we got from driving them. Cars(for the most part) are not return investments. They are meant to be enjoyed. As long as a warranties are still honored, we have a running car with beautiful aesthetics.

2008 Redline, 5-Speed, Silver/Pearl, Red Leather
DDMWorks Brace Bundle/Kappa Shifter/Charge Pipes
Pedders XA Coilovers
Solo Performance Hi-Flow Cat
RPI GT Exhaust/RPI CAI MOD
Hahn Racecraft Intercooler

"Live Life...'cause Life Happens."
post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 10:55 AM

There is nothing wrong with owing a discontinued auto low production auto .This can be a good thing for car guys.
(My truthful experience)
I sold my 1993 VW Corrado V6 this year with 170,000 miles on it for $15,000 (bought it new for $24,000) .I used that money as down money to buy a 2009 Sky Redline . I maintained the VW well and it was garage kept. I never bought any parts from a VW dealer because parts were cheaper online and there were usually high performance parts around. I once needed to replace the entire steering column and found that online in nearly new condition. The engine and trans used on the Corrado were common to other VWs . There are plenty of suppliers for various parts and plenty of aftermarket HP parts for the engine and trans. The same holds true for the Sky Redline engine and trans. I my opinion over time, we will have more aftermarket choices for our car despite it being out of production.
My VW sold for a good price because it was limited production car that’s hard to find in good condition it was also considered to be a good looking as far as VW goes. The Redline, like the Corrado was a very limited production cars that were both considered attractive. The RL has great styling and good performance right out of the box. In the short run, I would expect the resale value of the SKY to drop in price as weak owners sell their cars but I would be willing to bet that within a few years you will see prices begin to rise.
There are people out there who want to buy this car new and are pissed that it is not available from Saturn. Last week I was stopped by a middle aged man and his friend. That person was looking to buy a new yellow Sky Redline with manual trans. He told me he could not find one on the east coast and asked me if I were interested in selling my yellow 09 RL. I gave him my phone number. Right now he will buy it for 5k more than I paid new. No lie. It would take more for me to sell it now. I am having too much fun driving and tinkering with the car.
My advice is not to get too upset over Saturn going under or GM not producing the Sky anymore. This can play into you advantage especially down the road.
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 09:31 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
It has been pointed out on another SATURN Forum that a mere $250 million from the so-called Stimulus Package, AKA American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, would be enough to sweeten this GM/Penske deal and save over 10,000 jobs.
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyVue2 View Post
It has been pointed out on another SATURN Forum that a mere $250 million from the so-called Stimulus Package, AKA American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, would be enough to sweeten this GM/Penske deal and save over 10,000 jobs.
I'm not sure how that would work. I thought the real reason the deal fell apart was that Penske wouldn't have been able to obtain vehicles once GM stopped producing Saturns for a period of two years.

-INFO2X

2009 Sky RL 5 Spd

I am a GM engineer, my comments are my own. I am not responsible for your actions.
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 04:15 PM
jr1

De Lorean...................? Hmmmmm..........

Well, I might as well be the guiniepig and kick this off..............

Guess y'all have heard about the supposed DeLorean interest in acquiring the Kapppa. Ya probably seen the "artist rendering" - though why DeLorean of all outfits would use the plain old Soltice instead of the edgier SKY is a mystery - other than the (disgraced, but to be fair to the man, sadly deceased) JD's historical affinity for the Pontiac brand.

It's not the Delorean of old (probably a good thing on balance). The bankrupt remnants of what was were eventually privately purchase by none other than Steve Wynne a couple of years ago. The (tiny) company operates out of Houston now as far as I can tell and makes a living of sorts out of cult value (nothing wrong with that). They kluge together a few "new" cars from a mixture of old and new parts, do restorations, sell new and used parts etc. Frankly it was (and still is) an underpowered, disappointing, overpriced novelty. Sure it has it's enthusiasts and it's a collector item, that's fine, but a good car it never was.

This would be a huge stretch. All they would bring to the table would be a brand name (albeit with questionable value, but reasonable name recognition.) It would require massive funding to stand up a completely new auto company and dealer network.

I think it's just an attention getter and basically a joke, unfortunately.

Sure would be the best cars they ever sold by a long, long. looooooong way though!!!

Ah, just daydreamin' - if it really could be done and they did only the turbo's, threw in a performance tune, Hahn intercooler and new pipes, Fujita CAI, Hahn BOV, Hiflow CAT, big bore throttle body, frame stiffeners - all the stuff they can just buy and bolt on - even a few lighting pretties - it would sure make an awesome off the showroom floor roadster!!!! (Oh! and of course being DL, they woudl HAVE to do the vertical door kit ;-) Then if they could just keep the price down............. poof! there went the daydream!!! They would have to sell tons of them just to cover the upfront investment.

Hmmmmmm...... it probably wasn't really worth commenting on was it?

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > SKYRoadster News & Polls > SKYRoadster News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in