Penske to Close Canadian Saturn Dealers - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
SKYRoadster News News related to the Saturn SKY as well as site news. Only Administrators may create new threads in this section.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Penske to Close Canadian Saturn Dealers

According to a recent report on CBC Radio's French website Radio Canada, the Penske Automotive Group plans to close all the Saturn dealers in Canada once its deal to buy the brand from General Motors is complete.

At one time there were 60 Saturn dealers in Canada, but half of those dropped out of the business during this turbulent year as General Motors filed for bankruptcy protection. The business case for keeping just 30 dealers in such a vast country as Canada apparently makes for a poor business decision.

We can also speculate on additional concerns, including the fact that if Penske does plan to rebadge Renault vehicles, as has widely been speculated, then there would be twice as much red tape involved by having to go through not just U.S., but also Canadian bureaucratic regulation procedures.

The closure of Saturn in Canada is expected to effect 2,000 people.

More: Breaking: Penske to Close Canadian Saturn Dealers on AutoGuide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thumbs down

The only people I would remotely care about is those 2000 people losing their jobs, other than that who cares, I certainly have bought my last Saturn for the foreseeable future, (the next one never be a Renault, or a Frenchy (sic) car,) and that is my current Sky. In fact, after all this BS that has happened with my GM vehicles, (GM has left a very bad taste in my mouth as far as buying from them again, AND especially NOT while ObamaMotors is running their motors), it'll be along time before I pull the trigger again on ANY car..

Last edited by MidniteBlues; 08-31-2009 at 02:37 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All the car companies are losing, even Toyota. However, GM made alot of stupid mistakes. Without the government aide, GM would have gone through a bad bankruptcy, so you can blame Obama for GM not going belly up on its bankruptcy.

This criticism is similar to alot of people wanting the government out of bailouts but ride Harley Davidsons which got their bailout when they were owned by AMF. There is a time and place for the government to intercede on the free market. Many large corporations are failing in the free market now.

I remember for years how GM would market... trucks, trucks trucks. GM had the technology to produce much better cars but chose not to. Why, I dont know, probably some bean counter said no. It's entertaining to hear that GM can now produce an electric car that can get 230 miles to the gallon equivalency when the major American car manufactures were complaining the technology didnt exist to produce a car making 50 mpg a few years ago.

2008 Redline Sky

White Exterior/Black/Red Interior
Leather upgrade

GMR Tune, GM CAI Intake, Solo Performance Cat and Street Race Exhaust, Dejon IC Pipes, Sport suspension upgrade, Monsoon Stereo, Opel Short Antenna

Last edited by McLovin; 09-01-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
The only people I would remotely care about is those 2000 people losing their jobs, other than that who cares, I certainly have bought my last Saturn for the foreseeable future, (the next one never be a Renault, or a Frenchy (sic) car,) and that is my current Sky. In fact, after all this BS that has happened with my GM vehicles, (GM has left a very bad taste in my mouth as far as buying from them again, AND especially NOT while ObamaMotors is running their motors), it'll be along time before I pull the trigger again on ANY car..
Well, as someone who now needs to break in another dealership for my service needs, I kinda care. Agreed, most of my concern is for the 2000 employees, but I will probably need some parts in the future, and I'm concerned about having to wait for 2 weeks for every part to be shipped from the US.

Here's a link to the article in the Toronto Star, and another on IMSaturn.

2007 Sky Red-Line, Midnight Blue, Opel GT Antenna, JPM console, visors & elbow pads, GMPP PUpgrade, T-Bolt Clamps, DDM ProBeam/Backbone, 1st DDM Under-Hood LED on a Sky!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-sarge View Post
Well, as someone who now needs to break in another dealership for my service needs, I kinda care. Agreed, most of my concern is for the 2000 employees, but I will probably need some parts in the future, and I'm concerned about having to wait for 2 weeks for every part to be shipped from the US.

Here's a link to the article in the Toronto Star, and another on IMSaturn.
Well, I can't console you regarding having to find a new service department, but parts will hopefully continue to be relatively easy to get, at least for the mechanical systems.

Remember that the Solstice is almost identical mechanically to the Sky, and the differences are in the skin and the interior. Plus with these cars being mostly parts bin cars, a lot of the parts will be common to other GM platforms as well. So hopefully the more commonly replaced parts will continue to be readily available.

I assume that with the Canadian Saturn dealerships closing, your situation will be similiar to all of us Pontiac owners in the US and Canada. While there will no longer be Pontiac dealers in the future, GM will still honor our warranties and we can still go to any Buick/GMC (currently still Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealers, but I expect the dropping of the Pontiac name at the end of 2010) for service on our cars.

So my advice to you is to start shopping around to your local GM dealers and hopefully you can find a reliable one with experience servicing Solstices that you can transition to when your Saturn dealer closes. Hopefully you can find one not too far away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solli4me
Would anyone like a hamster? I already asked Reed but he politely declined....
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good points, D.

As far as finding another service dealer, this is Oshawa, so I can almost hit half a dozen GM dealerships with a 7-iron. Good reminder though to consider ex-Pontiac dealers before trying the Chevy dealers.

I guess the situation is the same in the US in the areas of the country where they had pure Pontiac dealerships, where the dealership is physically closing. In the other areas where there are combo dealers, you can still take your car to the same Buick-GMC dealership for service.

Also, I just got a letter stating that my current Saturn dealer is going to join forces with the Chevy-Caddy dealer across the street. As long as they keep the same staff, presumably I'll be OK staying with them (even though it's not a Pontiac dealer).

2007 Sky Red-Line, Midnight Blue, Opel GT Antenna, JPM console, visors & elbow pads, GMPP PUpgrade, T-Bolt Clamps, DDM ProBeam/Backbone, 1st DDM Under-Hood LED on a Sky!

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > SKYRoadster News & Polls > SKYRoadster News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in