Saturn Sky Forum banner

Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky Not Dead Yet

10K views 43 replies 35 participants last post by  Russterus 
#1 ·

It's not exactly the sort of news worthy of a celebration, but some cautious optimism is certainly appropriate as word comes that the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky might not suffer the same fate as almost every other fun vehicle under the General Motors umbrella.

Fritz Henderson, GM's new CEO said that the company would be willing to part with the plant where the two sports cars are assembled. The Wilmington, Del. plant is also the location where GM manufactures the Opel GT - a European version of the car.

"If someone were to approach with a proposal that made good sense for our people, we'd be open to it," Henderson said.

Both the Solstice and Sky were introduced in 2006 as front-engine, rear-wheel drive roadsters. The models come standard with a 173hp four-cylinder, with a turbocharged 260-hp four-cylinder optional.

General Motors is still intent on selling off the Saturn brand and scuttling the Pontiac nameplate, however, it won't rule out selling the Wilmington facility as there is likely to be some interest in the niche-market vehicles.

Last year GM moved close to 20,000 units of the two American models, with the Solstice selling 10,739 units and the Sky 9,162 units.

The move is similar to the one made by Chrysler in regards to the Dodge Viper. Chrysler has yet to find a buyer for that iconic nameplate.

More: Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky Not Dead Yet on AutoGuide.com

See less See more
#41 ·
It's funny ... if it wasn't for the Sky, I would never have bought a Saturn product, much less a GM one.

Form follows function, and most of the manufacturers provide:

- a Chiclet Car (rounded econobox)
- a family hauler (SUV/crossover/minivan
- a truck

In varying degrees of size, quality, features and luxury, they fill their lines out with these basics, because most people need and have to make room in their budgets for one of the above. But in so doing, they tend to want to believe they are part of something bigger ... a heritage. As if cars had DNA.

So they look at the brand, and they look to the exotic options in that brand. The Corvette, the Acura RL, the Z car ... and they hope that some of the "magic" has rubbed off on their cars. "Yeah, my Taurus is a grocery hauler, but man that SHO can fly".

For Saturn, the image was always quality, well built Chiclets. At least that is what the non-Saturn initiate sees. By adding the Sky to the line-up, particularly the Redline, now you have a bloodline. Something to wow in the showroom while you write up the Mom mobile.

I think that the Saturn brand, if it is going to continue and be independent, is going to need the credibility a car like the Sky provides. It is proof of not only engineering aptitude, but also artistic design credibility. You can see one of these in the showroom and know that someone, somewhere "gets it" ... the lines, the stance, the posture tell the story.

Without it, Saturn is just another baghauler maker ... a commodity.

#42 ·
Forty years ago, yes 40, I bought a little 4 seater, 2 really, with only 290 HP, a mere 30 more than my Sky now. It too required hi octane fuel, had a stick shift, was fun to drive and liked corners as well. So now with those forty years under my belt I have found something that does a really great job of replacing the 290 HP car. I long to drive my Sky just as I wanted to spend hours in the other car. I have something that re lit that long lost flame of performance, that urge to nail it. The 290 HP car had a 4:88 rear end and was good for just a little over 100MPH. The Sky is good to 140MPH they say, I think it could stand regeared as well, something to slow it down a little. My Sky is the perfect 40 year leap from my 1969 Z/28. So if you see an old guy in a black RedLine at a red lite, egging you on while you are waiting for the green, I'll be leaving when the red goes out, as I did those short 40 years ago!

#43 ·
At least the GM CEO is looking at cold hard business sense. In the begining the Chevy division guy fought the SKY intro. "It looks too much like a Vette" !!! Huh? Le'me see now - 1) is he blind? 2) if you are worried about a $25k -33k car taking away $50k - 120K car business - you already got big problems!! No room for emotion in business - obviously not a team player. Let's hope the SKY (ok solstice too) do manage to continue.

#44 ·
I just drove two thousand miles cross country with a three day stop in Yellowstone in my Sky. I guess I will have to debate how impractical it is as my wife and I had no problem packing all we need in the car. Yes, a little tight, but basically just skipped all the junk we never would use anyway. We both loved the trip so far, and have a return coming next week. This car is just fine for two people whatever their destination.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.