Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky Not Dead Yet - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
SKYRoadster News News related to the Saturn SKY as well as site news. Only Administrators may create new threads in this section.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 11:59 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by compdoc777 View Post
My 2 cents the car is completly impractical. Think about it even the close competitors Mazda Miata, BMW Z4, Merc SLK have more practicality more space to store stuff, things places in a intelligent and logical manner plus more way more ergononomics giving the roadster name a little more use.

In all respects our car is doomed. Not only by GM's financial situation, but by the design itself. The doomed or ended Honda S2000 even had more practicallity and could have been upgraded to the new 2.3 liter turbo to keep up with the Sky.

To me the SKY will go the way of the dodo. Even when I drive the car I notice that it is useless and has no other reason for being other than being a good auto-cross car, and image booster because of it's looks. I don't blame anyone but myself for buying the car. The Sky does look nice and Saturn's own Flyer/Book about the car says on every page this car is impractical and useless, but if you want to look good and have some yard art! BUY IT!

Even my 1969 MGB, 1981-84 Fiat Spyders had more untility than the Sky and sounded nicer noting they were N/A not turbo, but still. I could put a ton of crap in the back and in the trunk and kept my seats for passengers. The Sky as a daily driver, I could never go to the store and buy more than a bag of groceries, boxes anything would be hard to transport. The Sky is more for the person who has other utilitarian cars or SUVs and just wants a toy.

Heck, I have an SUV for hauling car parts or dirty stuff, and a SUV for groceries and rainy days, and a Huge SUV for the Kids and long trips. The Sky is just my useless dust collector, yard art, autocross car and Sunny day cruiser.

I really can't see any company keeping the Sky around when there are roadsters on the market around the same price that look good and actually have some practicallity and utility most can be purchased USED and cheaper and have a solid after market.
Useless??? Impractical??? YOU ARE CRAZY!!!

My wife and I just got back from a weeks Vacation In Florida, 600 MILES each way and 300 miles traveled while there... Now we packed a weeks worth of clothes, all our acessories needed, and still could put the top down.. You just need to know how to pack and what you actually need to take with you... Geese I am sick of people saying these cars are impractical.. what is more impractical is paying just a much for a freaking motorcycle...
Go sell your Sky to someone who knows how to appreciate it and just leave the Sky alone...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5-19-09 006s.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	33489  

Tim
Johnson City, Tenessee
Former proud owner of 2 Skys 2007 and 2008
NOW a Proud owner of a 2012 Chevy Camaro!
But I still love Skys!

Last edited by SkyMan 08; 06-01-2009 at 12:04 PM.
post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMan 08 View Post
Go sell your Sky to someone who knows how to appreciate it and just leave the Sky alone...
Can I get an AMEN

2008 Sky Red Line
Midnight Blue/Black/5 spd
LNF Power Upgrade
GMPP CAI/Cat-Back Exhaust
Splash Guards
Opel Antenna

2008 Astra XR 3 dr
Twilight Blue/Black/5 spd
Splash Guards

ImSaturn
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 04:36 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChgoBlues View Post
Can I get an AMEN
Here ya go... Amen!

T ~ In hoc signo vinces
post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 09:32 PM

I don't know about you guys but I revel in it's impracticality.

Nice picture SKYman 08

Let's cut compdoc777 some slack. Everybody's layed (laid?) low by the recent announcements.

White Manual RL w/ Tan Top/Seats; GMPP Tune; Solo HF Cat/Mach; Foose Nitrous 20" wheels; Dejon IC/ pipes/intake/elbow; DDM Calipers/Backbone/Pro-beam; many JPM tan alcantara accents
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
Let's cut compdoc777 some slack. Everybody's layed (laid?) low by the recent announcements.
Why? If you are familiar with any of his past postings and SLAMMING the hell out of anything that isn't a Toyota or Honda product or putting down his fellow forum members you might think otherwise.

Sorry Spartan, no can do.

2008 Sky Red Line
Midnight Blue/Black/5 spd
LNF Power Upgrade
GMPP CAI/Cat-Back Exhaust
Splash Guards
Opel Antenna

2008 Astra XR 3 dr
Twilight Blue/Black/5 spd
Splash Guards

ImSaturn
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMan 08 View Post
Useless??? Impractical??? YOU ARE CRAZY!!!

My wife and I just got back from a weeks Vacation In Florida, 600 MILES each way and 300 miles traveled while there... Now we packed a weeks worth of clothes, all our acessories needed, and still could put the top down.. You just need to know how to pack and what you actually need to take with you... Geese I am sick of people saying these cars are impractical.. what is more impractical is paying just a much for a freaking motorcycle...
a little offtopic here but hey that picture rings a big bell ... was it taken at the El Caribe in Daytona Beach Florida?
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 08:30 PM
First 2000

Impractical? Maybe... Fun to Drive? Definitely! Head turner? Most definitely!

I grew up with British Sports Cars - purchased first one when I was 17. The Sky is the first modern car that has that same feel and mystique! Miata never made it... I am in the process of restoring a TR3 and true that car has more room for 'stuff' and I can lay down in it with the seats out - but I bought the Sky because I missed the top down experience and I get a radio & air conditioning free of charge (sort of).

So for those that are complaining - STOP! and move on... go to whiners.com and post there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CDSKY.JPG
Views:	1798
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	33571   Click image for larger version

Name:	547612.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	33572   Click image for larger version

Name:	6506-rf1.gif
Views:	227
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	33573  
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 07:33 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Pit View Post
a little offtopic here but hey that picture rings a big bell ... was it taken at the El Caribe in Daytona Beach Florida?
Sorry but no, It was at the Tropical Winds, in Daytona.. A very nice place to stay too...

Tim
Johnson City, Tenessee
Former proud owner of 2 Skys 2007 and 2008
NOW a Proud owner of a 2012 Chevy Camaro!
But I still love Skys!
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Opel GT is dead

The Opel GT, the european Saturn Sky is dead.

Opel removed it from the homepage Opel.de | Homepage

____

Opel GT 2.0 Turbo

New German Forum & Wiki:
http://www.opel-gt-cabrio.de

New German Online Shop:
http://shop.opel-gt-forum.de

facebook
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:39 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

We can only wait and see what plan Penske has for future builds. If discontinued... Sky owners will have a rare car on their hands. My '07 Redline still has less than 10,000 miles on it.. showroom condition...

Deposit 7/4/06
Delivery 2/10/07
Black Onyx REDLINE
Black Leather/Red Trim
Spoiler, Chrome Wheels
Three Pedals
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 09:50 AM

It's funny ... if it wasn't for the Sky, I would never have bought a Saturn product, much less a GM one.

Form follows function, and most of the manufacturers provide:

- a Chiclet Car (rounded econobox)
- a family hauler (SUV/crossover/minivan
- a truck

In varying degrees of size, quality, features and luxury, they fill their lines out with these basics, because most people need and have to make room in their budgets for one of the above. But in so doing, they tend to want to believe they are part of something bigger ... a heritage. As if cars had DNA.

So they look at the brand, and they look to the exotic options in that brand. The Corvette, the Acura RL, the Z car ... and they hope that some of the "magic" has rubbed off on their cars. "Yeah, my Taurus is a grocery hauler, but man that SHO can fly".

For Saturn, the image was always quality, well built Chiclets. At least that is what the non-Saturn initiate sees. By adding the Sky to the line-up, particularly the Redline, now you have a bloodline. Something to wow in the showroom while you write up the Mom mobile.

I think that the Saturn brand, if it is going to continue and be independent, is going to need the credibility a car like the Sky provides. It is proof of not only engineering aptitude, but also artistic design credibility. You can see one of these in the showroom and know that someone, somewhere "gets it" ... the lines, the stance, the posture tell the story.

Without it, Saturn is just another baghauler maker ... a commodity.
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 10:17 PM

Forty years ago, yes 40, I bought a little 4 seater, 2 really, with only 290 HP, a mere 30 more than my Sky now. It too required hi octane fuel, had a stick shift, was fun to drive and liked corners as well. So now with those forty years under my belt I have found something that does a really great job of replacing the 290 HP car. I long to drive my Sky just as I wanted to spend hours in the other car. I have something that re lit that long lost flame of performance, that urge to nail it. The 290 HP car had a 4:88 rear end and was good for just a little over 100MPH. The Sky is good to 140MPH they say, I think it could stand regeared as well, something to slow it down a little. My Sky is the perfect 40 year leap from my 1969 Z/28. So if you see an old guy in a black RedLine at a red lite, egging you on while you are waiting for the green, I'll be leaving when the red goes out, as I did those short 40 years ago!
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 02:00 PM
jr1

At least the GM CEO is looking at cold hard business sense. In the begining the Chevy division guy fought the SKY intro. "It looks too much like a Vette" !!! Huh? Le'me see now - 1) is he blind? 2) if you are worried about a $25k -33k car taking away $50k - 120K car business - you already got big problems!! No room for emotion in business - obviously not a team player. Let's hope the SKY (ok solstice too) do manage to continue.
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 11:36 AM

I just drove two thousand miles cross country with a three day stop in Yellowstone in my Sky. I guess I will have to debate how impractical it is as my wife and I had no problem packing all we need in the car. Yes, a little tight, but basically just skipped all the junk we never would use anyway. We both loved the trip so far, and have a return coming next week. This car is just fine for two people whatever their destination.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > SKYRoadster News & Polls > SKYRoadster News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in